S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Buying used..any suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2016, 08:36 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying used..any suggestions?

Hey guys thank you for looking at my thread. Not sure if it was covered already, but I am currently looking into getting a used S4. I preferably would like the b8.5 starting in 2013 due to the cosmetic upgrades and bluetooth audio capability, flat bottom steering wheel & etc, but I'd settle for a 2012 if it's at a good price / mileage. Now my question is what would be considered fair mileage for a used s4? Would a 2012 with around 50-60k be considered too much? Any insight on buying pre owned would be very helpful, as well as things to look for, any major maintenance that should be watched for, what's considered good price to mileage, etc. Coming from a 2008 acura tl type s 6 speed, I know those engines could get beat to 200k which makes buying pre-owned a little less easier. Thank you.
Old 04-25-2016, 02:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by D_Grant24
Hey guys thank you for looking at my thread. Not sure if it was covered already, but I am currently looking into getting a used S4. I preferably would like the b8.5 starting in 2013 due to the cosmetic upgrades and bluetooth audio capability, flat bottom steering wheel & etc, but I'd settle for a 2012 if it's at a good price / mileage. Now my question is what would be considered fair mileage for a used s4? Would a 2012 with around 50-60k be considered too much? Any insight on buying pre owned would be very helpful, as well as things to look for, any major maintenance that should be watched for, what's considered good price to mileage, etc. Coming from a 2008 acura tl type s 6 speed, I know those engines could get beat to 200k which makes buying pre-owned a little less easier. Thank you.
I believe the reliability reports get better as you get newer. There was a thermostat issue in the earlier b8.5 s4. (You might be able to get a service contract from the dealer to replace this). Motor and transmission wise these cars seem to be pretty reliable. They do build up carbon on the intake valves (iirc)...
Those would be the two service items I would want to have looked into if I were to buy a used s4
Old 04-25-2016, 10:36 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Some have complained about the steering on the 2013s, but Audi has a TSB that supposedly fixes it. Water pumps have all failed by now and replaced. Thermostats and PVC valves do fail, but they do not seem to be related to model yr, more to mileage. Some have had their DSG trans fail. BUT, these cars have been reliable especially with higher mileage. BUT, do not expect to have the high mileage reliability that you can find on Japanese cars. I always advise buying an extended warranty with any German car without a factory warranty. It will cover a bad DSG transmission, but Clutch replacement is almost never covered under any warranty. IMHO, make sure you get a car with a sport differential. It is THE option that makes this car special. I leased a 2010 and a 2014 S4 from new. Currently driving a 2011 that I purchased 2 yrs ago (with Fidelity warranty) with 49K miles. I now have 63k miles and have yet to use the warranty. I have had to replace the tires, battery, brakes and rotors. All have been 6MT car. These cars are in short supply and high demand, and dealers know that. You can always replace the steering wheel and a product called Tune2air ($90)can be purchased to give your car Bluetooth capability. Prices will vary due to model yr and mileage. I suggest you get the newest yr and lowest mileage you can find. BUT, IMHO, mileage is more important that yr.