S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Calif and Summit racing are out to chase down non compliant cars

Old 05-11-2015, 04:38 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Calif and Summit racing are out to chase down non compliant cars

I just went to Summit Racing to get some brake fluid, and was told that to complete my purchase I would have to sign an agreement form stating that I agree not to install a none compliant CARB parts or remove any smog equipment and if caught will be prosecuted and have the license/registration of that vehicle confiscated/revoked, and fined .

Well I didn't sign, and went to a different dealer of the brake fluid and got a better price on the fluid to boot. This shop also didn't know of any such agreement required to buy parts.

So no more buying from Summit for me.

By the way no one at Summit could tell me how this agreement is processed nor could I have a copy...

Mark
Old 05-12-2015, 08:53 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would not buy from them either. Sign for brake fluid! WTF!!!
Old 05-12-2015, 11:51 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default CARB stepping up enforcement...

... I have no direct knowledge, but it may well be that Summit Racing is in some jeopardy with the State as they are a major supplier of aftermarket products - many of which are not CARB or DOT approved. I have been buying from Summit since the 1970's with great satisfaction. This may be a way of them waving liability and still trying to serve the buying public. The laws are on the books and we all know them - the paperwork does not increase our liability, only clarifies it. Summit has done a lot to support our sport and they work quite a bit with low budget racers. I am quite confident they they are not happy adding waivers to the transaction. Avoiding them just accelerates the problem, IMHO...

The automotive aftermarket world is under intense scrutiny and likely to disintegrate in the next ten years or so. Note the attempts of some major car manufacturers to consider their CPU coding "intellectual property" and thus a criminal offense to tamper, alter or upgrade as we have in the past. Even illegal for non-marque techs to work on the cars... yikes. Check out this paper from the Society of Automotive Engineering (Wasiceck 2014): Protection of Intellectual Property Rights in Automotive Control Units

And this investment site: Challenges by OEMs to the validity of aftermarket auto parts industry and claims of intellectual property infringement could adversely affect our business and the viability of the aftermarket auto parts industry. for U.S._Auto_Parts_Network (PRTS)

The Automotive Aftermarket Suppliers Association (AASA) has published a guide to help their constituents respond to this industry trend: http://www.aftermarketsuppliers.org/...r-Everyone.pdf

Those of us on the consumer end are mostly blind to this until we confront the paperwork that is discussed above...

Happy Motoring

Eric
Old 05-12-2015, 01:19 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After talking with some other members of the media, what may be going on is that Summit and other aftermarket sales are going to be reporting back to CARB on what parts you have bought and if there is any possibility that any non CARB # parts are going on a Calif registered car they now have reason to call you in for a check, or even worse have CHP come by and do a physical check.

A call to CARB has not been returned.

Mark
Old 05-19-2015, 09:11 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by moto-one
After talking with some other members of the media, what may be going on is that Summit and other aftermarket sales are going to be reporting back to CARB on what parts you have bought and if there is any possibility that any non CARB # parts are going on a Calif registered car they now have reason to call you in for a check, or even worse have CHP come by and do a physical check.

A call to CARB has not been returned.

Mark
I have also been a long time customer of Summit (20 years) and NEVER had any issue> But recently when trying to buy an exhaust system I was suddenly denied and told they could not ship to California. Really? It was just a cat back exhaust system which I've purchased in past for other cars that I no longer own. Suddenly the rules have changed.
That was a red flag to let me know big brother is clamping down.

Last edited by IknowHuhA6; 05-19-2015 at 09:13 PM.