S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Changing Tires/Wheels Myself

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2014, 09:14 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Changing Tires/Wheels Myself

Hey guys,

I have a spare set of OEM 19' peelers for my 2014 Audi S4 with DWS tires on them. I bought them so I can have one set of tires for summer (currently on my car) and one set for the winter.

I don't want to have to pay for someone to swap the tires for me. I feel I can probably handle the job myself.

What sort of tools do you recommend? Talking with a bunch of people they told me to get a Gorilla Power Wrench from tire rack to break the seal on the lug nuts. Then to get a digital torque wrench for putting them back on. Any thoughts on those two tools?

Also how many ft-lbs of torque should I tighten the nuts to when putting the wheels back on?

Thanks
Old 10-01-2014, 09:23 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

At a minimum, you need a safe floor jack, the torque wrench with appropriate range, 17mm socket and I like to have a bit of anti seize paste for the center bore.

I have cordless impact wrench. It's a nicety for removing the lug bolts, certainly not mandatory. A breaker bar for the deep 17mm socket is handy, too.

Torque is set at 88 ft*lbs.

Be safe.
Old 10-01-2014, 09:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mesa512
Hey guys,

I have a spare set of OEM 19' peelers for my 2014 Audi S4 with DWS tires on them. I bought them so I can have one set of tires for summer (currently on my car) and one set for the winter.

I don't want to have to pay for someone to swap the tires for me. I feel I can probably handle the job myself.

What sort of tools do you recommend? Talking with a bunch of people they told me to get a Gorilla Power Wrench from tire rack to break the seal on the lug nuts. Then to get a digital torque wrench for putting them back on. Any thoughts on those two tools?

Also how many ft-lbs of torque should I tighten the nuts to when putting the wheels back on?

Thanks
Before you do anything, invest in a good quality low profile floor jack, (not some piece of harbor freight junk) and preferably rebuildable. This will set you back a minimum of $ 200. Do NOT trust the spare tire jack!! The plastic tommy bar included in the kit is helpful to hang the wheel while replacing lug bolts.
I use a notched hockey puck for my jack seat to catch the rocker pinch weld.
For removal I have a 1/2" socket end breaker bar for the 17mm lugs and a Craftsmen torque wrench. So expect to spend another $ 100 - 200 depending on quality of torque wrench.
Specs should be 90-95 foot pounds.
Make sure wheels seat completely, and recheck torque after a day or so of running.
Old 10-01-2014, 11:45 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thank you very much for the advice. I must have forgotten to put it in my first post but I just purchased the floor jack....so that expense is already covered. I appreciate the advice guys!
Old 10-01-2014, 11:52 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

this is the breaker bar I was looking into
http://www.tirerack.com/accessories/...category=Tools

this is the torque wrench I was looking into
Professional Grade Digital Torque Wrench | Brown Line Metalworks
Old 10-01-2014, 11:52 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Easy to do. Anti seize compound is a good tip
Old 10-01-2014, 05:26 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

any specific brand for the anti-seize compound?
Old 10-01-2014, 05:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

If you haven't done it already, make sure you have the appropriate tool for removing the "dummy" cap on the lug nuts. I didn't check when I purchased my '13, the tool I have is for the 18" wheels which look like a hook. For "19 wheels the lug nut removal tool is different as it goes around the cap (not a hook).
Old 10-01-2014, 05:48 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

The little tool for removing those caps should be in the car's tool kit.

Yeah, that torque wrench was popular...they did some group buys at various car websites. Not sure how they're holding up a year later.

Mesa, I'd buy the deep 17mm socket and breaker bar from Sears.

I've been using the Permatex® Copper Anti-Seize Lubricant...probably from NAPA or eBay, etc.
Old 10-02-2014, 07:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

You can use a standard allen wrench to remove the caps as well as long as you have a small enough one. Works well.

Quick Reply: Changing Tires/Wheels Myself