S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Cheapest Performance Upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2015, 10:45 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cheapest Performance Upgrade?

Replacing the 50 lbs of spare tire and related hardware in the truck with a can of "Fix a flat" seems like an easy $5 upgrade. Since the newer S4 don't seem to have TPMS, Fix a flat should be safe enough. Anyone do this? Only down side might be a slight compromise in the weight distribution.
Old 04-13-2015, 05:24 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not a bad Idea, and yes they do have TPMS, it uses the ABS system to determine if a tire is low on air. Check in the Car set-up menu.

Mark
Old 04-13-2015, 05:29 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by moto-one
Not a bad Idea, and yes they do have TPMS, it uses the ABS system to determine if a tire is low on air. Check in the Car set-up menu.

Mark
Yeah I thought it used a wheel rotational sensor instead of an actual TPMS device inside the tire. At least that was my take away from the owners manual. If it's a device then there is risk of damage to it when you use a sealing patch kit. I reckon this is an acceptable substitute to lugging around a spare tire as some manufacturers such as Fiat are providing patch kits only now.
Old 04-13-2015, 07:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Cheapest Performance Upgrade

Invest in yourself. Take some high performance driving/racing classes. And you can use the upgrade on every car you drive. Really.

Proper tires. Michelin Pilot Super Sports.

Proper tire pressure.

Free flow air cleaner and exhaust.

Last edited by PhilNotHill; 04-13-2015 at 07:27 PM.
Old 04-14-2015, 02:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Taking the spare tire out may save you some weight but the spare is what attracted me to Audi (as some have already stated, more manufacturers are going to the can of "fix-a-flat" option). To my understanding, once a "fix-a-flat" is deployed an internal patch is no longer an option. Please correct me if I'm wrong. So in saving some weight, you could end up paying quite a bit to replace the tire (and depending on how worn it is, you may end up replacing both tires on the same axle).
Old 04-14-2015, 06:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

If you use fix a flat make sure it is the kind that won't destroy the TPMS sensors. That can be expensive.
Old 04-14-2015, 08:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by PhilNotHill
If you use fix a flat make sure it is the kind that won't destroy the TPMS sensors. That can be expensive.
There's no sensor in the actual tire in an S4, so that's not an issue.
Old 04-14-2015, 09:31 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by slasher016
There's no sensor in the actual tire in an S4, so that's not an issue.
At least not in the US . I believe the Canadian S4s actually have sensors, but not certain. BYW, you might want to check out the Chipwerke piggyback chip. losts of talk about it on AZ. $350 B8.5 S4 stock versus APR Stage 1 tune versus Chipwerke piggy back...

Last edited by DrGP; 04-14-2015 at 09:34 AM.
Old 04-14-2015, 06:36 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by safetywork
Taking the spare tire out may save you some weight but the spare is what attracted me to Audi (as some have already stated, more manufacturers are going to the can of "fix-a-flat" option). To my understanding, once a "fix-a-flat" is deployed an internal patch is no longer an option. Please correct me if I'm wrong. So in saving some weight, you could end up paying quite a bit to replace the tire (and depending on how worn it is, you may end up replacing both tires on the same axle).
Very good point!!!
Old 04-15-2015, 06:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by safetywork
Interesting that our 2015 RS5 does NOT have a spare. Just a compressor and some fix a flat. This results in more storage under the trunk floor.

We have 4 cars. The only one with a spare is 2014 S4.

Quick Reply: Cheapest Performance Upgrade?