S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Clunking noise from the front suspension

Old 09-23-2015, 09:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone have experience with this for a car out of warranty?

I have a 2010 S4 with 75k miles and have a clunking from the front passenger side suspension.

Mine actually is usually in the morning (cold) when I start driving and is noticeable over bumps.

Tonight I pulled the wheel off and inspected the suspension myself, everything seems to be OK though I did notice a few oddities with the bushings as shown in these pics. I lubed the suspension joints with WD-40 and will see in the morning if that made any difference.

I'm thinking about going to the dealer re: the TSBs mentioned but as I'm out of warranty I assume I will be paying out of pocket for that?

Old 09-25-2015, 08:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

So, still kind of early but after two test drives the clunking seems to be gone. *knock on wood*

I'm hesitant to say the the WD-40 did the trick, but it seems to have helped as I didn't really do anything else. Fingers crossed that the clunks don't come back/
Old 11-03-2015, 05:38 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by vincenz0
So, still kind of early but after two test drives the clunking seems to be gone. *knock on wood*

I'm hesitant to say the the WD-40 did the trick, but it seems to have helped as I didn't really do anything else. Fingers crossed that the clunks don't come back/
Did anything more come of this? My car developed a clunk about a year ago that I could actually feel beneath my feet. It was occasional, so I didn't worry too much about it, but recently it has become very frequent--pretty well every time I drive my car. I'm hoping to get some idea of what it might be before I open my wallet to the service station.
Old 11-03-2015, 09:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Bangledorf
Did anything more come of this? My car developed a clunk about a year ago that I could actually feel beneath my feet. It was occasional, so I didn't worry too much about it, but recently it has become very frequent--pretty well every time I drive my car. I'm hoping to get some idea of what it might be before I open my wallet to the service station.
So, the sound is back. Boo!

A friend of mine actually asked if maybe it's the pads rattling around in the calipers. I think he might be onto something because I can't seem to replicate the sound while I'm applying the brakes (and the pads are thus being squeezed.)

I haven't pulled it apart to check, but it seems plausible.
Old 11-09-2015, 04:41 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I have a 2010 A4 Avant with 150k on it. About 3k ago I started hearing a clank/clunk noise coming from my LF area. Does not matter what the outside temperature is or how long I have been driving. It mainly happens at low speeds and/or making turns at very low speeds. For example, parking in a parking lot is when it does it the worst. I also happens on the highway if I need to hit the breaks hard to slow down quick. It seems like that transfer of weight is what cause the noise. As with you, when I jacked the car up everything looked visible fine. There are many post on this with a few different solutions. Not sure on the brakes, but I just did my brakes recently and it didn't seem to have an effect. My first thought has been something to do with the sway bar.
Old 11-09-2015, 07:44 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by 2010A4AvantAudi
I have a 2010 A4 Avant with 150k on it. About 3k ago I started hearing a clank/clunk noise coming from my LF area. Does not matter what the outside temperature is or how long I have been driving. It mainly happens at low speeds and/or making turns at very low speeds. For example, parking in a parking lot is when it does it the worst. I also happens on the highway if I need to hit the breaks hard to slow down quick. It seems like that transfer of weight is what cause the noise. As with you, when I jacked the car up everything looked visible fine. There are many post on this with a few different solutions. Not sure on the brakes, but I just did my brakes recently and it didn't seem to have an effect. My first thought has been something to do with the sway bar.
Symptoms sound exactly as I had on my 09 A4. Turned out that an engine mount had not been torqued to spec. Tech re torqued a bolt and all was fine.