S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

clutch nightmare

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2010, 11:44 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default clutch nightmare

I've tried to be really cool (read: not ****) about my "stuff" because it's just that, but recently I got taught a lesson in being careful. The short version: a luxury hotel in San Francisco (about $450 a night w/o a corp discount) doesn't have their own garage, so the valets take the car to a 3rd party garage whose drivers then park the car. They ruined my clutch, probably because they didn't know how to disengage the parking brake and decided to try to overrun it instead. The hotel or their insurance is picking up the $2500 repair. I am furious that they would charge me $45 a day for parking ($1395 a month if you carry it out) and treat my car this way.

The long version:

I wanted to put this all in writing in the event any of the information was miscommunicated, and to explain where I'm coming from and where I think this is going. The issue is concerning my 2010 Audi S4 in 6 speed manual transmission with 5100 miles. I custom ordered this car in February 2010 and received it in April 2010.

On Tuesday, August 10 at 5:15 PM PDT I returned to the hotel from work in San Mateo and valeted the car. At approximately 6:00 PM I called down and asked for the car, to which the man on the phone replied it would be ready in 10-15 minutes. I came down 10 minutes later and waited an additional 10 minutes. The valet pulled the car to the corner of XXXXXXXX, about 5 car lengths from the front door. As soon as I sat in the car I immediately knew something was wrong. There was a very strong smell of burning throughout the entire cabin. A burned clutch has a very distinct smell, almost like short circuited electronics. It is much different than the smell of brake pads melting on hot rotors. I immeidately got out of the car and chased the valet and asked him if he knows how to drive stick. He then confessed that he was not the one driving the car, and that a 3rd party garage had moved the car out of the spot. He sort of wanted me to go to away but I started to get irate and wanted this situation to be elevated to the front desk staff. He went inside and got the hotel manager. The front desk person admitted that he could smell burning from inside the hotel lobby. The hotel manager came outside and confirmed that there was a burning smell in and around the car. We agreed that I would not be paying for parking for the entire visit, and that I would be self parking in the garage on XXXXXXXXXXX. The cost is about $11 for me to park overnight.

I went out to dinner on Van Ness completely furious. After driving around for 20 minutes there was still a burning smell outside the car. The clutch "take-up" or "engagement point" has moved way up towards the driver, and away from the floor. The older a clutch is, the further away from the floor the engagement point moves. The clutch still engages, but it feels to me like it is slipping more than it should. I learned to drive stick when I was 17 and my last two cars (since 2005) have been 6 speed manual. The clutch on my previous BMW had plenty of life left after 67,000 miles of ownership when I sold it. I called the hotel manager from my iPhone and told her I wanted to have the local Audi dealer (Rector Posche-Audi) inspect the car to find out:

1) If the clutch is damaged
2) How much clutch life remains (should be over 95%)
3) Was the parking brake or any other component damaged

I want the hotel to pay for the inspection and the loaner car to find out if anything is wrong. I will bring a copy of the report to the hotel manager. If the clutch needs to be replaced, I want the hotel to call in with a credit card number and pay the dealership directly. I am in no mood to have a claim outstanding for months while the garage / hotel operator / hotel owner / hotel franchise / insurance company work it out.
Old 08-13-2010, 12:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

Holy Sh*t that sucks, hope the best for you
Old 08-13-2010, 12:19 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 139 Likes on 102 Posts

Its amazing how many people cant figure out this parking brake design. Ive had a few "professional" people in my car that tried to accelerate past the parking brake when they couldnt figure out where the lever was or that there was even a parking brake on. There should be a warning on the dash and if there already is, it should be brighter!

Good luck resolving the issue.
Old 08-13-2010, 01:11 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by HyperS4
Its amazing how many people cant figure out this parking brake design. Ive had a few "professional" people in my car that tried to accelerate past the parking brake when they couldnt figure out where the lever was or that there was even a parking brake on. There should be a warning on the dash and if there already is, it should be brighter!

Good luck resolving the issue.
I don't have my S4 yet, so I could just have no clue what I'm talking about... but when I was test driving the car the dealer told me that you didn't need to manually disengage the parking brake, once you start moving it will disengage automagically. Is that not true? Seemed to work that way while I was driving it.
Old 08-13-2010, 01:16 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

The brake will disengage automatically, but only if you have your seat belt fastened I believe
Old 08-13-2010, 01:19 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Damn bro, I am so sorry to hear that. If they did that much damage in that short a time, you almost certainly need a new flywheel too. The clutch being burned like that and slipping that much will glaze the flywheel no longer giving it a smooth surface to grip to (imagine it like they bedded the clutch to the flywheel, transferring some of the clutch material to the flywheel - which is good for brakes, and NOT SOMETHING you want done with a clutch.)

Sure most flywheels have a lot of meat and can be machined on a lathe to take a layer off and give a good face again, but I would demand a new flywheel as well, no sense in you having one that has already been turned when you had a new one.
Old 08-13-2010, 01:20 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Art Vandelay
The brake will disengage automatically, but only if you have your seat belt fastened I believe
Correct, however there have been many people who have had it refuse to disengage even with seatbelts on - mine does this sometimes on my DSG too.
Old 08-13-2010, 01:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by NWS4Guy
Correct, however there have been many people who have had it refuse to disengage even with seatbelts on - mine does this sometimes on my DSG too.
I have this happennin to me also.

when it happens, it's always when i've parked the car overnight and reversing out.

sometimes it happens sometimes it doesn't yet to figure out what causes it.
Old 08-13-2010, 02:54 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 139 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by enloew
I don't have my S4 yet, so I could just have no clue what I'm talking about... but when I was test driving the car the dealer told me that you didn't need to manually disengage the parking brake, once you start moving it will disengage automagically. Is that not true? Seemed to work that way while I was driving it.
You need to be stepped on the parking brake before you shift into gear. If you dont do that, it wont release. I myself have been too quick to try to drive off and the parking brake was still on. Its very touchy and doesnt like to be tapped, you need to press and hold the brake while going into gear. Most people just press the clutch, go into gear and try to drive off.

Has nothing to do with the seatbelt.
Old 08-13-2010, 03:14 PM
AudiWorld Super User

that sucks man!, maybe I should not set ebrake for the valet? hope that your car gets sorted out.

Bruce

Quick Reply: clutch nightmare