S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Considering 2012 S4 Purchase

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2014, 07:14 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Considering 2012 S4 Purchase

2012 S4 white 68,000 miles, Manual.

$33,000.00, its the Prestige Edition with Sports Deferential.

I have test driven it twice, and taken it to my Independent Euro Mechanic.

It is a very clean car, well taken care of.

Does have a APR carbon fiber intake on it.

Lots of smoke soot around the exhaust pipes, may or may not be cleanable.

Lost of miles, and no warranty.

Just curious what to expect in the maintenance department, and what if anything goes wrong at 100k-120k miles.

Does this appear to be a decent deal as it books for $38-39k.
Old 10-29-2014, 07:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mothandras
2012 S4 white 68,000 miles, Manual.

$33,000.00, its the Prestige Edition with Sports Deferential.

I have test driven it twice, and taken it to my Independent Euro Mechanic.

It is a very clean car, well taken care of.

Does have a APR carbon fiber intake on it.

Lots of smoke soot around the exhaust pipes, may or may not be cleanable.

Lost of miles, and no warranty.

Just curious what to expect in the maintenance department, and what if anything goes wrong at 100k-120k miles.

Does this appear to be a decent deal as it books for $38-39k.
Sounds like a OK deal as far as raw price. It comes down to you feeling comfortable and having the resources needed to foot the bill for any unexpected expenses. If you have a good indy shop you trust, that helps. Thermostats are a known weak link on the car. All in all, it's really a crap shoot from 50k to 120k and beyond. Anything can fail and you either get a good reliable example or not.

Can you get someone to check the VIN for TD1 flag and maintenance history?
Old 10-29-2014, 07:57 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by togatown
Sounds like a OK deal as far as raw price. It comes down to you feeling comfortable and having the resources needed to foot the bill for any unexpected expenses. If you have a good indy shop you trust, that helps. Thermostats are a known weak link on the car. All in all, it's really a crap shoot from 50k to 120k and beyond. Anything can fail and you either get a good reliable example or not.

Can you get someone to check the VIN for TD1 flag and maintenance history?
See attached, its being sold by and Audi Dealer and i had them pull the history.

Do you see anything alarming or something that should have been replaced and wasn't?
Attached Images  
Old 10-29-2014, 08:09 AM
AudiWorld Member

See attached, its being sold by and Audi Dealer and i had them pull the history.

Do you see anything alarming or something that should have been replaced and wasn't?
Sorry, the print size makes it a little tough to see, but it does look like it has had all of it's recommended services done. Can't tell what some of the "engine concerns" were, but might not be anything alarming. Not sure how they code a thermostat replacement, but if it hasn't been done, chances are it will need one at some point.
The fact it is at least at an Audi dealer is a plus rather than some auction dealer. Are brakes, rotors and tires all good?
Old 10-29-2014, 09:01 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

New tires.

Not sure what the 65k maintenance requires, but I am assuming brakes would have been changed several times by now.

Used 2012 Audi S4 For Sale | Lexington KY

I am worried about the Manual Trans, as its never been replaced and been in the shop 3 times for it. According the Service Tech at the dealer they could never duplicate the issue. The Clutch has a life and probably needs to be replaced before 100k.
Old 10-29-2014, 09:28 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think the price might be a little high. Back in May, I bought a 2011, Prem +, 6MT, with Nav,back up camera, SD, CF inlays B&O 19"wheels and alu optic package with 48Kmiles. The Prestige trim gives you very little since you can spec out a Pre+ to be identical to a Prestige car(other than adaptive headlights). Very little difference between a 2012 and a 2011 model. In your case. The Prestigeyou are looking at has 20K more miles which IMHO, is a big difference and should be reflected in a lower price. Miles trumps model year in this case. BTW, I purchased an extended warranty when I bought my car. I recommend that you do the same if you decide to buy. I would not want to own ANY German car out of warranty. They can become very expensive to repair when they need it. I would be worried about the clutch especially with your comments about the transmission issues. AND clutch replacement is not covered under any warranty. You might want to consider another car with lower mileage. Have you looked on autotrader.com?

Last edited by DrGP; 10-29-2014 at 09:32 AM.
Old 10-29-2014, 09:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by DrGP
I think the price might be a little high. Back in May, I bought a 2011, Prem +, 6MT, with Nav,back up camera, SD, CF inlays B&O 19"wheels and alu optic package with 48Kmiles. The Prestige trim gives you very little since you can spec out a Pre+ to be identical to a Prestige car(other than adaptive headlights). Very little difference between a 2012 and a 2011 model. In your case. The Prestigeyou are looking at has 20K more miles which IMHO, is a big difference and should be reflected in a lower price. Miles trumps model year in this case. BTW, I purchased an extended warranty when I bought my car. I recommend that you do the same if you decide to buy. I would not want to own ANY German car out of warranty. They can become very expensive to repair when they need it. I would be worried about the clutch especially with your comments about the transmission issues. AND clutch replacement is not covered under any warranty. You might want to consider another car with lower mileage. Have you looked on autotrader.com?
DrGP makes some good points, I didn't see there was an unresolved issue with transmission, too bad, 6 speeds are rare. There is one in E Hartford, Ct on Autotrader, almost identical with 63k+, for $ 34,650 so $ 33k is not out of line. Or bargain them hard and see what happens.
Old 10-29-2014, 09:51 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Yeah, im thinking of working a deal and get the Clutch replaced before I buy it, as part of the deal.

Yeah, for my price range, and wanting a MT6, there aren't many.

I mean I could spend 44k on one they just took in on trade, but 10k is alot of dough and no MT6.

Used 2012 Audi S4 For Sale | Lexington KY

It's certified and has 40k less miles on it.. but overpriced IMHO.
Old 10-29-2014, 10:27 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Just spoke with the dealer on clutch replacement costs.. $2,300.00 for the clutch job if the fly wheel is ok.. an additional $1,500 for the fly wheel if needed.
Old 10-29-2014, 10:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Just spoke with the dealer on clutch replacement costs.. $2,300.00 for the clutch job if the fly wheel is ok.. an additional $1,500 for the fly wheel if needed.
That is a lot of cash to lay OOP since as GP stated, no warranty covers wear and tear, so if they would agree to do that, it would be great. Not sure what an indy shop would charge, got to be 25% less at least.

Quick Reply: Considering 2012 S4 Purchase