S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Convenience Key Question?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2015, 01:41 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Convenience Key Question?

I just bought a '11 s4 premium plus and I was looking through the manual and it says I could be able to unlock the door with the key in my pocket.

Well, I have to hit the unlock button to get the car to unlock, I was wondering if this a certain feature that the car might not have? Or is there a way to turn it on/off? I guess the best question I could ask is how do I tell if I have this option?

Thanks,

Will
Old 03-05-2015, 02:19 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

If you have the advanced key you can just grab the door handle and, after a moment, it will unlock automatically letting you in. To relock it you press the small square on the handle.
Old 03-05-2015, 02:53 PM

Check the video tutorial on Advanced Key at

Audi Video Help & Tutorials | Audi USA

Just enter model year and model and scroll to the Advanced Key tutorial.

Edit to mention I didn't see the Advanced Key video under the 2011 model year, but it does show up if you select 2013 S4. Weird!

Last edited by GUEST123; 03-05-2015 at 02:56 PM.
Old 03-06-2015, 09:24 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Do you have a stop start button? If not, you don't have advanced key
Old 03-06-2015, 10:33 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

"unlock the door with the key in my pocket."
Key? Never happen.
Key fob? Then yes, it should. Of course a 2011 key fob could date back to fall of 2010, and at 4-1/2 years the battery in it would be 1-1/2 years overdue for replacing.
Apparently some of the Audi salesmen think the key fob "recharges" when it is put into the dashboard slot, but it does not. It uses a conventional coin battery with a very rough life of three years, the same as most watches, calculators, or remote fobs with similar batteries. Longer if not used.
Old 03-06-2015, 11:12 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Redd
"unlock the door with the key in my pocket."
Key? Never happen.
Key fob? Then yes, it should. Of course a 2011 key fob could date back to fall of 2010, and at 4-1/2 years the battery in it would be 1-1/2 years overdue for replacing.
Apparently some of the Audi salesmen think the key fob "recharges" when it is put into the dashboard slot, but it does not. It uses a conventional coin battery with a very rough life of three years, the same as most watches, calculators, or remote fobs with similar batteries. Longer if not used.
FYI, the BMW non" Comfort Access" Key does recharge when in the dashboard slot. CA key fob does not as well as those used by Audi.
Old 03-06-2015, 01:01 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Nice to know that a BMW is not an Audi.

For me the purpose of a "keyless" system is that I never have to take the key out of my pocket, never have to put it in the dash, never have to be separated from it and that eliminates a lot of chances to drop or lose it.

So, the BMW system...would be a negative to me. If it truly recharges, then it would go dead rather quickly if it wasn't recharged regularly. At that point, I might as well have a smaller, lighter, cheaper, dumb key.

Or at least, a BMW.(G)
Old 03-06-2015, 07:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default The bmw key is smaller & lighter

For me the purpose of a "keyless" system is that I never have to take the key out of my pocket, never have to put it in the dash, never have to be separated from it and that eliminates a lot of chances to drop or lose it.

So, the BMW system...would be a negative to me. If it truly recharges, then it would go dead rather quickly if it wasn't recharged regularly. At that point, I might as well have a smaller, lighter, cheaper, dumb key.

Or at least, a BMW.(G)
my second spare key sit inside house and works without charging for at least a year. Both keys were 15 years old when I sold the car .2000 bmw 528.
Old 03-06-2015, 09:07 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Or at least, a BMW.(G)
I just traded my 135i in for an 2011 S4. I've only ever used one of the two keys, I tried the second after 3yrs of it sitting unused and it worked!
Old 03-07-2015, 09:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by jyges
my second spare key sit inside house and works without charging for at least a year. Both keys were 15 years old when I sold the car .2000 bmw 528.
Are you saying it is a "keyless" system, where you simply walk up to the car with it? Or is that a "clicker", where no power is used until you press a button on the fob?

Which was more conventional in 2000, but I'd have no way to guess which BMW used. Rechargeable batteries that can sit on the shelf and be reliable after a full year without use, are virtually unheard of. Kudos to them if they made keyless transponders (not clickers) that could do that back then.

Quick Reply: Convenience Key Question?