S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

CPO 2013-2014 S4

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2014, 09:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CPO 2013-2014 S4

I'm considering getting a CPO-ed 2013-2014 S4. I've had an A7 before, but not too familiar with the S4 and since it's just an idea I'm playing around with at this point, I haven't done too much research. Are there specific issues to look out for? Any reason to do 2014 over 2013? Any options that are "must have"? Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Old 10-08-2014, 10:10 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm now on my 3rd B8 S4. Also had the opportunity to drive a loaner A7 for a day. So I would be somewhat qualified to answer your questions. There are minor differences between the '13 and '14 models. The '14 had advanced key as standard equipment which was an option for the '13. '13 had SS inlays available . '14 had layered alum/wood inlay trim available. You could get All season 18" wheels and tires in 2014. Other than that, they are pretty much similar. There are no specific issues, but T stat failure is not unheard of and some have reported multiple failures. Since the 3.0 SC engine is used in both the A7 and S4, I would assume the same problem would affect both cars.

Sport differential is THE must have option on the S4 and not available on the A7. Also, the A7 ONLY has a true automatic transmission. The S4 has an standard 6Mt and an optional dual clutch automated manumatic transmission. I believe the A7 has a more advanced MMi than on the current s4s.

Having driven the A7, I have to say it is a nice old man car. (BTW, I'm 64 yrs old). Somewhat larger if you need more interior room. I was board with it in 1 day. After driving B8 s4s for 5 yrs now, there is still nothing out there that I would rather have in the same price range. I suggest you drive an s4 and see if it fits your needs.
Old 10-08-2014, 12:05 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by DrGP
I'm now on my 3rd B8 S4. Also had the opportunity to drive a loaner A7 for a day. So I would be somewhat qualified to answer your questions. There are minor differences between the '13 and '14 models. The '14 had advanced key as standard equipment which was an option for the '13. '13 had SS inlays available . '14 had layered alum/wood inlay trim available. You could get All season 18" wheels and tires in 2014. Other than that, they are pretty much similar. There are no specific issues, but T stat failure is not unheard of and some have reported multiple failures. Since the 3.0 SC engine is used in both the A7 and S4, I would assume the same problem would affect both cars.

Sport differential is THE must have option on the S4 and not available on the A7. Also, the A7 ONLY has a true automatic transmission. The S4 has an standard 6Mt and an optional dual clutch automated manumatic transmission. I believe the A7 has a more advanced MMi than on the current s4s.

Having driven the A7, I have to say it is a nice old man car. (BTW, I'm 64 yrs old). Somewhat larger if you need more interior room. I was board with it in 1 day. After driving B8 s4s for 5 yrs now, there is still nothing out there that I would rather have in the same price range. I suggest you drive an s4 and see if it fits your needs.
Great info, thank you! Yes, A7 felt like an old person car to me. Traded it in for the Porsche Macan but that didn't help either - it actually feels slower and less exciting than the A7 (although it handles better). The new plan is to trade the Macan for a cheaper/smaller/quicker sedan (S4) and get a fun porsche for the summer (Boxster/911).

Question for you - is the Sport differential an optional item or does it come standard with certain packages & trim?
Old 10-08-2014, 12:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by amelen
Great info, thank you! Yes, A7 felt like an old person car to me. Traded it in for the Porsche Macan but that didn't help either - it actually feels slower and less exciting than the A7 (although it handles better). The new plan is to trade the Macan for a cheaper/smaller/quicker sedan (S4) and get a fun porsche for the summer (Boxster/911).

Question for you - is the Sport differential an optional item or does it come standard with certain packages & trim?
It is always an option that must be chosen, not included in any packages.
Old 10-08-2014, 01:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Any other "must have" options? Is the prestige trim "must have" ?
Old 10-08-2014, 02:16 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The only thing that the Prestige gives you that you cannot get on a Prem + is adaptive headlights. Otherwise, you can configure a Prem + that is exactly like a Prestige. No one is going GAGA for the adaptive headlights. But, if you want all the options that come standard with the Prestige, there is no down side to getting one.
Old 10-09-2014, 04:21 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You'll also find Audi Side Assist in many '14s. Only a few 13's had this option, and I think its worth the $ if you drive in a lot of traffic. I 2nd the the sports diff option, it allows the car to over-steer nicely on the S4 and you can feel it when you hit the gas. You can also get it on the S7 but Car and Driver didn't care much for it in the last Lightning Lap test, citing unpredictable control at limits.
Old 10-09-2014, 04:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by tna3
You'll also find Audi Side Assist in many '14s. Only a few 13's had this option, and I think its worth the $ if you drive in a lot of traffic. I 2nd the the sports diff option, it allows the car to over-steer nicely on the S4 and you can feel it when you hit the gas. You can also get it on the S7 but Car and Driver didn't care much for it in the last Lightning Lap test, citing unpredictable control at limits.
I have Audi Side Assist on my 2013 S4. If I recall it was only available as an option on Prestige in 2013 so that may be why it is rare in 2013's.

Also concur on sport diff option and like adaptive damping as well (also somewhat rare).