S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Dash trim - alu optic vs gloss black

Old 07-13-2014, 05:30 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dash trim - alu optic vs gloss black

Hi guys,

Just noticed my 2014 S4 has gloss black trim with silver accents around the dash (instrument cluster). Most of the pics I have seen of the s4 interior have these pieces finished in a matte silver finish. I was wondering if the gloss black is an update for 2014 or if it comes with some other option I have (black interior w Napa? Layered wood trim?).

Thanks,
HDC
Old 07-13-2014, 07:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by HDCS4
Hi guys,

Just noticed my 2014 S4 has gloss black trim with silver accents around the dash (instrument cluster). Most of the pics I have seen of the s4 interior have these pieces finished in a matte silver finish. I was wondering if the gloss black is an update for 2014 or if it comes with some other option I have (black interior w Napa? Layered wood trim?).

Thanks,
HDC
Hey, I'm not sure if this comes with the layered wood trim but it did come with my 2013 S4 when added the stainless steel mesh trim and compared to the silver plastic it looks more high-end IMO.
Old 07-13-2014, 09:22 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

2014/15 It came with the Layered wood. Pre 2014 cars with SS inlays also had Black trim. IMHO they all should have been that way except perhaps those with Alum trim.

Last edited by DrGP; 07-13-2014 at 09:25 AM.
Old 07-13-2014, 01:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

Yup, it came with the Aluminum/Black Wood Inlays option. That was one reason I opt for the alum/black wood. I would say the alum/black wood brings out the elegance of the interior as well. Well worth it IMHO!
Old 07-13-2014, 04:33 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks for the info. All of a sudden I am even more glad I got the layered wood option. Audi should probably point out that the option includes different dash trim as it might help to justify its cost for some buyers.

Cheers,
NM
Old 07-13-2014, 08:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

That is so true! The salesperson I asked didn't even know what dash trim comes with the alum layered wood. The dealer didn't have any sample or other S4 with this trim on the lot. I did a lot of search on the web to see pictures before ordering it. I'm glad I made the right choice.

Old 07-13-2014, 08:56 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 279 Likes on 213 Posts

While getting it was a nightmare, Carbon fiber is the real winner for dash trim

CF dash bezel

All CF interior
Old 07-14-2014, 09:04 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Bobby Kinstle
While getting it was a nightmare, Carbon fiber is the real winner for dash trim

CF dash bezel

All CF interior
If your car has CF trim you are correct. But the Piano black/satin black looks good as well. And as much I disliked the silver trim on the pre 2013 cars, Audi changed the color to a more titanium shade on the 2013+ cars that actually looked ok to me.
Old 07-14-2014, 10:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

I have the layered black wood/aluminum panels with the piano black dash instrument cluster trim and it looks good, and while I can't comment on the aluminum trim, I find the piano black trim to constantly make creaking plastic sounds and "popping" noises over bumps. So much so, I was thinking of getting the trim wrapped in vinyl. The only thing holding me back is whether it would be effective in dampening the creaks, and what color/pattern to do. Wrapping it in aluminum vinyl might look out of place, as would CF. Suggestion welcome.
Old 07-14-2014, 11:09 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Ycore
I have the layered black wood/aluminum panels with the piano black dash instrument cluster trim and it looks good, and while I can't comment on the aluminum trim, I find the piano black trim to constantly make creaking plastic sounds and "popping" noises over bumps. So much so, I was thinking of getting the trim wrapped in vinyl. The only thing holding me back is whether it would be effective in dampening the creaks, and what color/pattern to do. Wrapping it in aluminum vinyl might look out of place, as would CF. Suggestion welcome.
I would take the car back to the dealer. They can easily remove the trim without damaging it an place some type of shim or adhesive to stop the creaking. it should not make noise.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Dash trim - alu optic vs gloss black