S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Decisions Decisions ;-)

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2014, 01:41 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LYKUNO
Maybe they figured out that the Sprint Blue was an exclusive ($2500) color option for the 2011 model? As suggested above, I'd offer a fair price and be prepared to walk away. Base the offer off the originally listed price, not the current one.
Was it? Hadn't realized that. If that's the case, I doubt they're going to come back down 5k+ to be honest. I'll ring tomorrow and see what the story is.
Old 01-19-2014, 01:52 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 46 Likes on 39 Posts

Offhand it sounds like mileage would be the tie breaker. 11k less is worth money.

I think color is a question no one will be able to get a straight answer to. The most popular color on all cars is plain jane white, 25% of all new car sales, followed by plain jane silvers and grays, another 30% if you lump them all together.

Which means there aren't many blue cars to be had, at all, and that might get you more money when you try to sell one. Although you're also going to find fewer people want a blue car in the first place, so more money, but a much smaller market, which can mean a much slower or cheaper sale.

You like the car? Like the color? OK, then enjoy it, and go for the car without the accident damage and extra miles. Then you've just got to argue price. Maybe they'll throw in some extra warranty or service work or something else if they won't come down on price.

If you walk in with, literally, a check or cash in hand and put it on the desk and say "I'm ready to buy a car today if you..." that motivates them.
Old 01-19-2014, 02:56 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Redd
Offhand it sounds like mileage would be the tie breaker. 11k less is worth money.

I think color is a question no one will be able to get a straight answer to. The most popular color on all cars is plain jane white, 25% of all new car sales, followed by plain jane silvers and grays, another 30% if you lump them all together.

Which means there aren't many blue cars to be had, at all, and that might get you more money when you try to sell one. Although you're also going to find fewer people want a blue car in the first place, so more money, but a much smaller market, which can mean a much slower or cheaper sale.

You like the car? Like the color? OK, then enjoy it, and go for the car without the accident damage and extra miles. Then you've just got to argue price. Maybe they'll throw in some extra warranty or service work or something else if they won't come down on price.

If you walk in with, literally, a check or cash in hand and put it on the desk and say "I'm ready to buy a car today if you..." that motivates them.
Except that they've gone up in price! But either way, I can't really do that because I have to go through the dealer to get the finance for it. So showing up with check or cash is a no go.
Old 01-19-2014, 05:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Gone up in price? Odd, but the price of lobster changes daily too.

", I can't really do that because I have to go through the dealer to get the finance for it. So showing up with check or cash is a no go."

Not at all. You never have to go through the dealer or seller for financing, you can always go to a bank or credit union or loanshark, unless you've really got major credit problems and in that case, the dealer's options are limited as well. If your only option is one of the triple-market-rate bloodsuckers that some dealers use...don't buy the car.

And no matter who or how you buy it, odds are you'll have to put down a down payment in any case. So you put a grand on the table and say "HEY! I'm ready to buy! M O N E Y here!" and you'll still get his attention.
Old 01-19-2014, 05:55 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Gone up in price? Odd, but the price of lobster changes daily too.
I posted about it on this thread this morning. The price changed from 38k to 43k this morning. It's very odd as they're closed today.

", I can't really do that because I have to go through the dealer to get the finance for it. So showing up with check or cash is a no go."

Not at all. You never have to go through the dealer or seller for financing, you can always go to a bank or credit union or loanshark, unless you've really got major credit problems and in that case, the dealer's options are limited as well. If your only option is one of the triple-market-rate bloodsuckers that some dealers use...don't buy the car.

And no matter who or how you buy it, odds are you'll have to put down a down payment in any case. So you put a grand on the table and say "HEY! I'm ready to buy! M O N E Y here!" and you'll still get his attention.

Take a look at my other post on here about financing... unfortunately I don't have those options.
I'm just after relocating from Europe, so I have absolutely zero credit. The only way I can get finance is to go through Audi's Foreign Business Professional program.
Old 01-19-2014, 08:11 PM
AudiWorld Super User

A most unusual program, and most unusual circumstances.
Old 01-20-2014, 02:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by jd_1
I tried to find out more about the accident, but the salesman just said they didn't know. They couldn't find any information on it and gave some reasoning that the damage must have cost less than $500. I can't recall exactly.

I was wondering about that too. Its actually the same with both cars. The both go what looks like 20k miles without a service.

Seriously? I was really assuming spending the extra 3/4k that a certified costs would mean sure fire safety in that regard? I know the warranty doesn't cover every little thing, but car has to be in perfect working order to pass as certified right?
My last car had $20K+ in damage to it and was certified by a dealer in Atlanta after repaired and traded in for my S4. (Dealer where I traded it in wouldn't certify and sold it at auction.) The CarFax for that car showed an accident but indicated airbags didn't deploy and didn't involve details that would allow someone to understand the extent of damage to the car. A dealer that bought the car at auction really could say, "I don't know what happened in the accident." (Dealer saying they don't know what happened followed by it must have been under $500 sounds ridiculous IMO.)

I did some research and found each dealer has discretion in what they certify (different standards for different dealers) and only flood, frame damage or title problems slow down the CPO process from Audi's perspective. Cars are routinely bought at auction (with no knowledge of history other than CarFax), taken through a clipboard inspection and then sold as certified.

IMO, the CPO process is all about selling warranties and cars, not reconditioning or making sure the car meets some high standard. Therefore, while I think you CAN find a great CPO car (and many do) I would never assume any particular car is a good one just because it is certified. In addition, unless you plan to keep the car forever, you will get dinged when you trade the car in on the next one if it has an accident on record.

There are some threads on this forum and AZ about people 's issues with CPO cars you wouldn't expect. I certainly hope they are the exception but I just wouldn't buy any used car in this price range without an inspection by someone independent of the dealer selling the car and doing the certification. I think all brands are probably similar - this isn't specific to Audi.
Old 01-20-2014, 03:42 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

A most unusual program, and most unusual circumstances.
What, the foreign professional program?
Old 01-20-2014, 03:43 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by RickFLS4
Thank you Rick, very informative.
Old 01-20-2014, 07:15 AM
AudiWorld Super User

jd- Yes, a most unusual program, and most unusual personal circumstances as well. There aren't many "aliens" on visa's trying to finance cars, compared to the larger market. From a finance company's perspective, you are a flight risk, so to speak. The car is costly to take home, if you have to leave the US, so they probably figure the odds of a default are pretty high IF you have any employment or visa problems.

I would guess things are different in the EU or Schengen zones, where people cross national borders on a more frequent basis.

I'd suspect that one of the larger banks (Citibank?) which has extensive offices both in the US and in Ireland, might be able to work with you, since their car loan systems operate in both places and that might make them less apprehensive about finding you, or the car, if you moved between the two.

When titled property can be moved across national boundaries by an owner who is going to be crossing them, lenders get nervous. Cars, boats, planes, doesn't matter, they get nervous because they know what the complications can cost them.

From that side of things, a lease might make better sense. Or, a purchase or lease co-signed by your US employer. If they have faith in you, they'll help you get a car, one way or another. If they're not willing to help with your "resettlement" here, that's something to think about as well.

Quick Reply: Decisions Decisions ;-)