S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Difference between Prestige & Premium Plus w/extra options

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2009, 06:25 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I have a fully loaded premium plus and my DVD player works fine

Originally Posted by Bada Bing
The audio system in the Prestige trim has a DVD player which is not available on Premium Plus. I would say that if you are planning to lease, definitely go with a loaded P+ since it has 3 points higher residual. If you are purchasing, your decision is a little tougher and you have to decide if the DVD capability, memory seats, advanced key, auto dimming mirrors and compass are worth about 2 grand.
It has B&O and MMI obviously. Going to Vag it to have video in motion next week too.
Old 10-07-2009, 06:42 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The audio system in the Prestige trim has a DVD player which is not available on Premium Plus. I would say that if you are planning to lease, definitely go with a loaded P+ since it has 3 points higher residual. If you are purchasing, your decision is a little tougher and you have to decide if the DVD capability, memory seats, advanced key, auto dimming mirrors and compass are worth about 2 grand.
What do you mean DVD player? Like it plays on the nav screen? I didn't know that.
Old 10-07-2009, 07:08 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by NogaroBlueS4
What do you mean DVD player? Like it plays on the nav screen? I didn't know that.
The standard player in the Prestige is a DVD player. There's a VAG COM 'hack' to enable DVD playback on the Nav screen while the car is in motion.
Prem + w/ Nav *may* be able to do it, which would make sense since the Prestige Nav+ is DVD based.
Old 10-07-2009, 07:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

For what it's worth... I like the remote key thing. Wish I had it on my other cars.
Old 10-07-2009, 09:48 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Breaking it down, Prestige adds $6,100 to the Prem+ price.
So looking at the invidual pieces of the 'Prestige' package:
$2500 Nav+/3G MMI/Color Info System/Voice Control
$900 19" Wheels/Tires
$850 B&O Sound System
$4250 - Total

So the remaining $1850 gets you:
- Advanced Key, Keyless Start/Stop
- Auto Dimming Mirrors/Compass
- Auto Memory Seats

It'll be worth not having to manually move the seats/mirrors after my fiancée drives
Old 10-08-2009, 02:33 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

..and I found out also includes 19" wheels which now brings the difference to $1100 for the above items plus 3 points lower on residual value if you lease which I don't do.
Old 10-08-2009, 05:47 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

The difference is $1850, not $1100, plus you don't get the rear view camera/rear parking sensors with Prestige unless you pay $900 for the Driver Assist package, which would bring the difference to $2750 but give you Lane Assist as well.

It depends on what options are important to you, of course. If you don't care about, e.g., the 19" wheels, then the Prestige looks comparatively worse.

The Premium Plus to Prestige delta on the A4 is $900 smaller for no good reason that I can see, so there Prestige seems like a much more obvious option if you want most of the individual options.
Old 10-08-2009, 07:36 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by UmIsThisThingOn
The standard player in the Prestige is a DVD player. There's a VAG COM 'hack' to enable DVD playback on the Nav screen while the car is in motion.
Prem + w/ Nav *may* be able to do it, which would make sense since the Prestige Nav+ is DVD based.
Does having that hack done do anything to the car's warranty? I think that sounds pretty cool -- albeit distracting whilst driving. lol
Old 10-09-2009, 06:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

I went thru this same decision when ordering mine. I went with the Prem Plus - only option I really missed was the keyless feature. I ordered the backup camera option separately. Didn't really want the 19's anyway, preferred the cushier ride of the 18's. however I could've easily been swayed to go with the Premium as well. can't go wrong in either case.
Old 10-09-2009, 09:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris
Does having that hack done do anything to the car's warranty? I think that sounds pretty cool -- albeit distracting whilst driving. lol
This in and of itself won't void anything, and it's highly unlikely they would know you did it, if you use VAG in stealth mode, or left a DVD in the player when the dealership took it out for a test drive after servicing and noticed it was playing while driving.

Most dealerships are about in and out fast service, and are not going to pour over your ECU unless there is a specific request and reason to (and many don't have anyone with the expertise to know what to look for specifically anyway). However...

If there is a new ECU firmware version out, they will likely flash it to the upgraded version, which will wipe out any changes you made to yours, so you would have to redo everything. Likewise if for some reason they DO find out you did this, it might warrent them looking deeper to see if you did something more invasive which might harm something, and more to the point, they might assume you have and if there is any warranty claim, they could potentially say something like "Well we know there were unauthorized changes to the ECU, and we don't know everything that was changed, so we are going to assume it was a change which caused part "X" to break or malfunction."

Quick Reply: Difference between Prestige & Premium Plus w/extra options