S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

First oil change: should i wait until 5K service or do it earlier?

Old 01-29-2014, 03:21 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First oil change: should i wait until 5K service or do it earlier?

sorry if this subject already been debated but search return too much info when 'oil' is used as part of criteria...
i'm wondering if i should wait for 5K service to change oil for the first time or do a change on my own at around 3K?

did you wait until 5K for your first oil change?

this is my first lease so i might be too cautious about the car but if the car prove to be strong and no accidents i might consider buying it at the end...))
Old 01-29-2014, 04:50 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by ivansis
sorry if this subject already been debated but search return too much info when 'oil' is used as part of criteria...
i'm wondering if i should wait for 5K service to change oil for the first time or do a change on my own at around 3K?

this is my first lease so i might be too cautious about the car but if the car prove to be strong and no accidents i might consider buying it at the end...))
I waited until 5K on my S4, previous A6 and my wife's Q5. I have also gone the recommended 10K miles between oil changes. Others insist on changing in 5K intervals.
Old 01-29-2014, 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by RickFLS4
I waited until 5K on my S4, previous A6 and my wife's Q5. I have also gone the recommended 10K miles between oil changes. Others insist on changing in 5K intervals.
I too followed the manufacturer's oil change intervals. I recommend getting a dipstick and ensuring oil level is maintained between changes (it's never gone low), and also am careful to get car warmed up sufficiently before getting heavy on the throttle.
Old 01-29-2014, 07:42 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 279 Likes on 213 Posts

I waited until 5K on mine.
Old 01-30-2014, 08:43 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you are not going to do a change at 1K,which I do not recommend, you might as well wait until 5K. The oil is still protective. The filter will remove any metal particles above a very small size. It is my contention that any metal particles that are smaller than what the filter removes are actually beneficial to the "wear in" process. For the first 5k miles, some wear is necessary and beneficial. After 5k it is not.

Last edited by DrGP; 01-30-2014 at 08:48 AM.
Old 01-30-2014, 03:59 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by DrGP
If you are not going to do a change at 1K,which I do not recommend, you might as well wait until 5K. The oil is still protective. The filter will remove any metal particles above a very small size. It is my contention that any metal particles that are smaller than what the filter removes are actually beneficial to the "wear in" process. For the first 5k miles, some wear is necessary and beneficial. After 5k it is not.
1K? i haven't even hit 600mi yet!
reason i was asking is because i usually change oil in ~3.5K intervals. BTW, my B6 had zero oil consumption and i'm hoping for another luck with B8.5. i've been doing a 'moderate' break-in, maybe it will help with 'proper wear' and no issues w oil. thx
Old 01-31-2014, 08:52 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Some guys want to change at 1k thinking the factory oil will be heavy with metal particles from the break in. My B6 S4 did not have oil consumption issues either. But many on the AW forum did. I took it upon myself to direct an inquiry to AoA just to get back something in writing about the issue. BTW, you are really wasting your money changing oil @ 3.5K. Those who have had their engine oil analysed have found the oil is still protecting nicely @ 7.5K miles. So if you really want to be conservative, at 5k, the oil is still nowhere near in need of replacement.
Old 01-31-2014, 10:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 41 Likes on 27 Posts

Dealer service manager -- who I would assume is at least partially measured on revenue and income, therefore would seem to be motivated to encourage service -- says, "follow the service intervals, check the oil levels frequently and if needed come in for a free quart of oil should you need one between changes (which will revert to 10K intervals after the first)."

He, assumes, of course, that we will always use the big buck synthetic oil (Castrol is Audi's fave) and high detergent premium gas.

I've been trying to use TopTier gas as much as possible (3 out of every 4 tanks, about) or Costco gas which seems to have a great additive package.

I think a key reason the changes can be fairly far apart from each other is that the oil pan holds a lot more oil than, for instance, Infiniti or Acura.

The use of low friction innards and tight tolerances, too, is also a way to reduce the need for more frequent oil changes.

Other than using too much oil (i.e., more than is needed and spending money when you don't have too), though, I can't really see the harm, generally speaking, in over changing the oil. Apparently the 3K oil change USED to be a worthwhile thing to do -- today, not anywhere near as often is required to prolong engine life. I'd bet you'll get tired of the car before the engine no longer interests you.
Old 08-04-2014, 03:53 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ivansis

If you don't plan to buy the car at the end of the lease, you're only doing the next owner a favor. Save your money. Just sayin'.
Old 08-04-2014, 04:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I changed mine at 3400 mile because I was taking a trip to Yellowstone from Texas and did not want to change it on the trip. The dealer was saying not to change it so soon but when I mentioned the trip he said no problem. I don't think it matters much but I would keep the first oil change at 5000 thinking it may have brake in qualities.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: First oil change: should i wait until 5K service or do it earlier?