S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

DIY: Hardwired Radar Detector Install

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2010, 04:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default DIY: Hardwired Radar Detector Install

Had some free time to install my V1 today, so I thought I'd take some pictures and post a short DIY thread. Please ignore the stained workbench. =)

There are other threads debating which radar / laser detector is best. My personal preference is the Valentine 1 - but you should research all options before making a choice.

Step 1: Unpack your radar detector and get familiar with how it should be wired. READ THE MANUAL.

Step 2: Locate where you want to install the radar detector. For best performance, mount it as high as possible. The higher the detector is mounted, the farther forward it will be able to sense.

I've seen some people install their detector in the upper left of the windshield, others prefer to hang it just below the rear-view mirror.

I like mine installed just above the mirror. This allows maximum detection range, and if you're pulled over, it's less likely to be noticed.

Try different positions to see which you like best.

Here's where I put mine - I shifted it just a bit left so that the rear-facing radar sensor remained unobstructed when opening the sunglasses compartment, and when flipping down the visor. Unfortunately, the rear-facing laser sensor is blocked by the visor. It's a necessary compromise when installing the V1 above the rear view mirror.

With the visor down, and glasses case open:

Step 3: Locate a power source.

In the past, I've used the power source for the dome lights, or powered auto-dimming rear view mirror. However, for this installation I followed the advice of others and went for the fuse box.

The fuse box is located on the drivers side. There are three clips that hold the panel on.

Using a bone tool, pop off the panel. Use an old towel to put the panel on. Don't put it on the ground or on cardboard! It can scratch!

Don't know what a bone tool is? It's a rounded bone with a point on it, often used for paper folding. It's NOT rough or metal, but very sturdy. It's perfect for popping off plastic trim without gouging or damaging it. To get one, search online or go to your local arts and crafts store. They should have one in the aisle dedicated to paper folding and making your own notebooks.

The fuse box provides a switched power source with a nearby ground. A switched source is key, so power comes on when the car does. You do not want an always-on power source, because you will have to remember to turn off your detector after parking, or risk draining your battery.

To safely tap into the fuse box, get a Mini Add-A-Line accessory. This plugs in like a normal fuse, but provides a power lead. Tip: order this online, it was $24 at my local auto-parts store.

Step 4: Get wiring!

Make sure you have a solid connection between your add-a-line and the radar detector power lead. You can use a butt joint, but soldering is also good. Use electrical tape or heat-shrink tubing to cover the connection.

Next, locate your ground source. There's a good one right above the fuse box. To ensure a solid connection, I decided to wrap the bolt with exposed wire, then sandwitch the wire between a new washer and the existing bolt.

Remove the existing nut with a 13mm crescent wrench. Slip on a 5/16" washer, then lasso the bolt with wire. Make sure your lasso is tight around the bolt.

Finally, before installing the power source, connect your lasso to the ground wire:

Now it's ready to be installed in the fuse box. Lasso the bolt on top of the new washer, tighten the nut. You can let the wiring hang loose for now, we'll get to it again in a bit.

Step 5: Routing the wire.

Next it's time to route the wire from the radar detector location to the fuse box.

Using your bone tool, gently push + tuck the wiring behind the headliner, making sure you leave enough hanging out to connect to the detector when you're finished.

Go all along the headliner until you reach the pillar. This transition will be tight and tricky.

Using the bone tool, pop out the pillar trim. You will want to run the wire along the outside of the pillar, down to the fuse box.

Continue using the tool to hold back the trim while you route the wire downwards.

Remember to put the trim back behind the rubber seal when you reach the bottom!

Once near the fuse box, remove the plastic trim just to the left. It has one clip on top, one in the middle, and one at the bottom.

Route the wire behind it, then to the bottom of the fuse box. Zip tie any extra wire to keep things neat & tidy.

Putting the plastic trim back on is a bit tricky. It was easiest for me to line up the bottom hole first. Then I pulled the bottom trim forward with one finger, while I rotated the piece I removed to the right, pressing it firmly into the middle & top clips. Be patient with this part!

If you're not using the stealth display for the V1, take a piece of electrical tape and cover the Accessory plug on the power unit. You don't want it to accidentally catch on a bolt or wire and short your detector.

Now, tuck all wires up and behind the fuses. Use another zip tie if necessary to keep everything from rattling.

Final fuse panel setup:

Pop-on the fuse box panel, and you're done!

Turn on the engine to double check everything works properly.

Enjoy!

Last edited by Tails; 01-16-2010 at 06:17 PM.
Old 01-16-2010, 05:07 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very well done!! Thanks for the awesome DIY here!!
Old 01-16-2010, 05:12 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Very nice! I don't have a radar detector nor plan on hardwiring one in the future, but I always appreciate it when ppl post DIYs to help others. Thank you!
Old 01-16-2010, 05:30 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

That's the exact way I wired my V1, and the same way I routed my wire. Other folks have run the wire down the A-pillar on the windshield side, but the way you did it worked better for me.

I did mount my V1 under the mirror, since the location you used interfered with the visor more than I liked.

Nice write-up.
Old 01-16-2010, 05:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for the great write-up! Question, though: According to Valentine1's website, wouldn't your visor block the laser detector that's right next to the bogey counter?
Old 01-16-2010, 06:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by McGriddle
Question, though: According to Valentine1's website, wouldn't your visor block the laser detector that's right next to the bogey counter?
Thanks everyone for all the nice feedback.

Yep, although the rear facing radar sensor is unobstructed, the rear facing laser sensor is blocked with the visor down.

It's not ideal, but I wanted to keep the detector up high as I don't like the look of it under the rear view mirror.
Old 01-16-2010, 07:28 PM
srs
AudiWorld Senior Member

Thanks for the great DIY. You must have read my mind, I just ordered the cabling from Valentine so I can move the V1 and stealth display from my other car. This answers all my questions.

In the past I've clipped mine to the end of the visor, just above your location. I don't mind giving up use of the visor - I wear hats. The visor needs to be kept open slightly to get the right angle for the V1. Although I've been stopped by police for various "infractions" in the nine years I had it on the allroad, not one ever noticed.

Are you using a stealth display? I think I have a good place for mine if I can get access behind the instrument cluster surround just left of the MMI screen for the cable, and hang the stealth unit from the overhang, back out of the way but easily reached.
Old 01-16-2010, 07:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by srs
Are you using a stealth display? I think I have a good place for mine if I can get access behind the instrument cluster surround just left of the MMI screen for the cable, and hang the stealth unit from the overhang, back out of the way but easily reached.
I don't have the stealth display - getting it wired behind the instrument cluster might be a tricky affair.

What about the ashtray? Perhaps it can be hidden under the sliding cover.

I also saw this picture over in the Audizine forums:

Thread: http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=337154

Please make sure to post some pics if you install the stealth display!
Old 01-16-2010, 10:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

Nice work, Tails. Very clean install.
Old 01-17-2010, 06:14 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Tails
I don't have the stealth display - getting it wired behind the instrument cluster might be a tricky affair.

What about the ashtray? Perhaps it can be hidden under the sliding cover.
The V1 stealth display is designed to relocate the visual notifications from the main unit to a stealthier location, but it still needs to be easily visible. I wouldn't want to have to look away from the road to the bottom of the center cluster or to the ash tray to evaluate a radar alert.

I have a stealth display for my V1 but I haven't found a good place in my A5 to mount it.

Quick Reply: DIY: Hardwired Radar Detector Install