S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

DIY: Hardwired Radar Detector Install

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2010, 02:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Tails
I don't have the stealth display - getting it wired behind the instrument cluster might be a tricky affair.

What about the ashtray? Perhaps it can be hidden under the sliding cover.

I also saw this picture over in the Audizine forums:

Thread: http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=337154

Please make sure to post some pics if you install the stealth display!
I came in here to post that! That's my install. I routed the wire the exact same way as you, but with the extended display running under the dash, and using the bone tool to go behind the center column.

I considered the ash tray location, but it'd be a remove, modify and re-install scenario. This is completely removable without damage.
Old 01-31-2010, 06:25 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default great instructions

I followed your tutorial exactly and the install went very smoothly! Its almost amazing how ideal the bone tool (also known as a bone folder) is for the job. I found one at the local hardware store that has an extensive paper/printing section.

There is another V1 install tutorial here, https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=2720748, that mentions using a 7.5 A fuse. Good additional thing to mention as the fuse circuit tap I used came with a few options and I could have easily used the 5 A thinking it was enough, but another poster mentioned a blown V1 after doing that.

I'm a tad bit concerned right now that I have either a placement issue (did I go too high up?) or the car has some wacky interference from the lane-assist sonar as I took the car out and had the V1 on and was seeing way more chatter than I'm used to around town. I'll play with the lane-assist and do a test with a much lower placement (using the cigarette-lighter power) and see if it behaves differently.
Old 01-31-2010, 07:21 PM
srs
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Tails
I don't have the stealth display - getting it wired behind the instrument cluster might be a tricky affair.

Please make sure to post some pics if you install the stealth display!

I just started another thread with my version of the stealth display install. The wiring was easy.
Old 02-03-2010, 09:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad to hear everything worked out!

The V1 actually uses a 1 AMP in-line fuse: http://www.valentine1.com/store/defa...gory=partsdept

So you should be fine using something pretty small. I think the smallest that came with my tap was 2 AMP.

As to the lane-assist - I've heard people mention this. Maybe these links will have something useful:
http://www.eabjr.com/Side-Assist-and...r-Detector.php

Reprogramming the V1:
http://www.valentine1.com/Lab/MikesLabRpt3.asp

Originally Posted by fubari
I followed your tutorial exactly and the install went very smoothly! Its almost amazing how ideal the bone tool (also known as a bone folder) is for the job. I found one at the local hardware store that has an extensive paper/printing section.

There is another V1 install tutorial here, https://www.audiworld.com/forums/sho....php?t=2720748, that mentions using a 7.5 A fuse. Good additional thing to mention as the fuse circuit tap I used came with a few options and I could have easily used the 5 A thinking it was enough, but another poster mentioned a blown V1 after doing that.

I'm a tad bit concerned right now that I have either a placement issue (did I go too high up?) or the car has some wacky interference from the lane-assist sonar as I took the car out and had the V1 on and was seeing way more chatter than I'm used to around town. I'll play with the lane-assist and do a test with a much lower placement (using the cigarette-lighter power) and see if it behaves differently.
Old 02-24-2010, 06:52 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I have installed my radar detector with the add-a-fuse harness but I'm having trouble finding a switched circuit. Even the radio/nav and the instrument cluster circuits don't kill the power when ignition is off?? I've done this with other cars and never had a problem...what am I missing??
Old 02-24-2010, 11:38 AM
srs
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by 2010A3TDI
I have installed my radar detector with the add-a-fuse harness but I'm having trouble finding a switched circuit. Even the radio/nav and the instrument cluster circuits don't kill the power when ignition is off?? I've done this with other cars and never had a problem...what am I missing??
There are three fuse panels on the driver's side fuse box - colored black, tan and red plastic. I used the garage door opener mini fuse (with an add-a-fuse piggy-back) on the black (left) panel, and it is switched. I couldn't find a switched fuse on the tan or red panels. Perhaps it is only the black panel that is switched.

Steve
Old 05-22-2010, 03:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

Great DIY. Just got my Passport 9500 installed the same way.
Old 10-20-2010, 07:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Got a PM asking me which fuse location I used:
I used the empty fuse position #2.

According to the sticker inside the fuse panel, #1 is used for dynamic steering, but the fuse location was empty in my car - so fitting into position #2 wasn't a tight fit.

Anyway - hope that helps!
Old 10-23-2010, 05:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Nice write up. I mounted mine on the passenger visor but otherwise installed the same way. I mounted the remote display at the bottom of the center console using 3M Dual Lock. It is not a big deal to glance at it or mute it when an alert sounds.

Name:  P6138747.jpg
Views: 4348
Size:  109.5 KB
Old 10-23-2010, 07:19 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Tails...you're the man. I've been looking to do this for a few weeks, and this is perfect. Thanks again!! Great post.

Quick Reply: DIY: Hardwired Radar Detector Install