S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Does Vagcom affect mfr's warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2015, 04:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does Vagcom affect mfr's warranty?

Hello, I have been reading up on Vag-com and planning to buy Ross-Tech VCDS in the near future. My question is: Does changing the settings via Vag-com affect the mfg warranty? Will Audi dealer flag it as TD1 or give me trouble if I change some settings (ie. video in motion, LED blinker on, windows up/down remote, etc.)? Appreciate your advice!

Last edited by uberwgn; 07-03-2015 at 01:21 PM.
Old 07-01-2015, 08:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

NO. VAGCOM either activates or deactivates what your vehicle already has installed. Make sure you visit and follow the detailed instructions on " audienthusiasts.com " and donate if you do use that website.

Good Luck.
Old 07-01-2015, 11:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

That is good to know. Thanks for the website link, I'll check it out.
Old 07-02-2015, 02:14 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

One caveat: there are coding changes that can screw up the operation of your car which would not be covered by the warranty. If you are not an expert and stick to the Vag modifications that others have fully tested and proven to work without issues, you will have no problem with the warranty.
Old 07-02-2015, 05:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by snagitseven
One caveat: there are coding changes that can screw up the operation of your car which would not be covered by the warranty. If you are not an expert and stick to the Vag modifications that others have fully tested and proven to work without issues, you will have no problem with the warranty.
Exactly. That is why I mentioned the website. I have performed the majority of those mods and have never had a problem. I also VAGCOM'ed others and never had any problems reported back to me. If those individuals are here please chime in.
Old 07-02-2015, 06:49 PM
AudiWorld Super User

One other FYI..While it doesn't usually occur, if you have your MMI version updated (or reloaded for some service reason) there's a possibility you will lose some mods back to the default. It's happened to me just once. Not a big deal as you can always redo any that get "erased".
Old 07-03-2015, 12:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

Great, thanks for the tips guys! I will definitely stick to the proven mods and follow the direction carefully.
Old 07-03-2015, 04:22 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by AerotusX
Great, thanks for the tips guys! I will definitely stick to the proven mods and follow the direction carefully.
One last bit of advice. Be sure to save a log file before you start making changes. In the unlikely event you make a mistake in coding, you'll have the original settings to go back to as a reference.

Also, it's not a bad idea to run a full scan before you take the car in for service. If there are any fault codes, even though they should run their own scan, you can point them out to the service tech. Can't hurt - I had one they missed that helped result in a warranty repair.

Have Fun!
Old 07-04-2015, 10:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by snagitseven
If there are any fault codes, even though they should run their own scan, you can point them out to the service tech. Can't hurt - I had one they missed that helped result in a warranty repair.

Have Fun!
If I do point out any fault codes to the dealer, this means it's perfectly okay to inform the dealer that I use Vag-com, right? In other words, the dealers don't mind that we use Vag-com to change settings and access the hidden menu?
Old 07-05-2015, 06:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by AerotusX
If I do point out any fault codes to the dealer, this means it's perfectly okay to inform the dealer that I use Vag-com, right? In other words, the dealers don't mind that we use Vag-com to change settings and access the hidden menu?
Most techs are familiar with VCDS and don't mind so long as changes you've made are the proven, common ones that everyone is modifying. In other words, if, for example, you don't know what you're doing and start experimenting with coding changes that mess up the MMI or the performance of the power train, then the cost to repair or replace anything you broke as a result will be your responsibility.

As to the hidden menu, stay away from the "Bootloader" option as it will likely render your MMI unusable.

I've been using VCDS and been making mods for 14 years, with four Audis, four different service depts. in two states and never had a problem when my car was in for dealer service.

Quick Reply: Does Vagcom affect mfr's warranty?