S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Drought in CA

Old 04-08-2015, 06:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Drought in CA

How is the water drought in CA going to affect all you guys that wash your cars at home? Are they going to be patrolling for excessive hose use?

Got to love the two bucket ONR method out there!
Old 04-08-2015, 10:04 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Could you wash your car in the garage? But really, the water problem is a big deal. You will either have to deal it by getting your cars wahshed where they recycle the water or drive your cars dirty. I know it sucks , but if you don't like it you can always move. This might be just the tip of the iceberg for a future global problem. TOO MANY people on this planet for the natural recources to support. ESPECIALLY where natural water supplies are low. Maybe CA should start building desalinization plants.
Old 04-08-2015, 12:50 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It makes sense to use the car wash since they recycle the water. Some of them even have solar panels.

There's enough water for every resident of the state to use their normal 200 gallons a day. The reason this has been escalated to a national issue is the remaining water use is political and must be divided among:

1) farmers (all the way down the central valley to LA)
2) boats/recreation/lake shore levels (expensive real estate on lakes)
3) wetlands/environment/fish spawning areas (natural outflows into SF bay)

The farmers have century old contracts, also known as "water rights", that are politically and legally difficult to break. In the meantime they're flooding the desert for rice paddies, almonds, and other water intensive crops with no metering or limits. Some of them are getting out of the business of farming and just selling their water allotment for millions of dollars.
Old 04-08-2015, 05:34 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by westwest888
It makes sense to use the car wash since they recycle the water. Some of them even have solar panels.

There's enough water for every resident of the state to use their normal 200 gallons a day. The reason this has been escalated to a national issue is the remaining water use is political and must be divided among:

1) farmers (all the way down the central valley to LA)
2) boats/recreation/lake shore levels (expensive real estate on lakes)
3) wetlands/environment/fish spawning areas (natural outflows into SF bay)

The farmers have century old contracts, also known as "water rights", that are politically and legally difficult to break. In the meantime they're flooding the desert for rice paddies, almonds, and other water intensive crops with no metering or limits. Some of them are getting out of the business of farming and just selling their water allotment for millions of dollars.
Tell me if I am wrong. Has not CA usurped the majority of the water from the Colorado River which at one time emptied into the Gulf of CA. Now it just dissipates before it reaches the sea since so much has been diverted.
Old 04-09-2015, 07:23 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by DrGP
Tell me if I am wrong. Has not CA usurped the majority of the water from the Colorado River which at one time emptied into the Gulf of CA. Now it just dissipates before it reaches the sea since so much has been diverted.
I don't believe this to be correct. This is the current system:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Central_Valley_Project
Old 04-09-2015, 10:24 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by westwest888
I don't believe this to be correct. This is the current system:

Central Valley Project - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I guess it is different in Northern CA vs Southern CA .http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colorado_River_Board_of_California
Old 04-09-2015, 07:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

As a Colorado resident residing in the Colorado River watershed our motto is:

Flush the toilets, California needs the water!

BTW I am a California native. Live upstream now.
Old 04-09-2015, 07:07 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

There is an alternative. Optimum has their No Rinse Wash products that only use 1-2 gallons of water.
No Rinse Wash and Shine
I use it in the winter in my garage when the temp is below freezing outside. Works well.
Old 04-10-2015, 05:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by snagitseven
There is an alternative. Optimum has their No Rinse Wash products that only use 1-2 gallons of water.
No Rinse Wash and Shine
I use it in the winter in my garage when the temp is below freezing outside. Works well.
+1, good stuff, been using it for several years with 2 bucket method and does a nice job. I would think it will be very popular in CA these days.
Old 04-10-2015, 06:35 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Glad to see this being discussed...

As an environmental scientist and life long gear head, I have always lived in the crosshairs of public opinion of my sports: off-road motorcycling, mountain biking, sport driving, etc.

There is no doubt that the water politics of California are vicious and the current conditions dire. The philosophers refer to problems such as these as "wicked" - not because they are evil, but because they possess the following three characteristics. 1) The problem is complex, 2) We don't have all of the data we need, and 3) well intentioned and fully informed people can come up with very different answers - all of which are defendable. This is why there is so much rancor in the environmental and climate debates (as well as mischief). Ultimately, the outcomes are decided by the ethical priorities of the stakeholders.

WIth respect to the current water crisis in California; There is so much to be done and a vast amount of "low hanging fruit to be picked". Humans waist so much water as to be mind-boggling. We can conserve vast quantities of water without reducing our quality of life. Examples include; 1) drip irrigation for agricultural crops - current practices have suggested that each individual almond grown in this state requires a gallon of water. Drip techniques used in Australia and Israel reduce consumption by 80-90%. In the urban context, pulling up turf, reusing grey water for irrigation and reducing unnecessary human use are very effective strategies.

So, about our cars. I choose to be a sports car enthusiast and adjust my life and resources to do so. I make no apologies, but I try to reduce my carbon footprint wherever I can. I lavish care onto my car and one of the great joys of living in SoCal (compared to my home in green, but rainy New England) is that my Audi's are almost always spotless (except after a hard day of sport driving in the mountains). I have switched from driveway washes to a facility that recycles water. I limit washing to once a week and use Griot's Detailer or Spray-on Carwash in-between. The towels I use to clean the car go into my clothes laundry so no additional water is used.

It seems that we, as responsible ambassadors for our sport, can demonstrate sustainable practices and have clean cars too!

Sorry if this seems like a rant, but the future of motorsports is tenuous at best. We are, in many ways, the few remaining consumers that view automobiles as more than appliances and actually care about performance.

Last edited by eric strauss; 04-10-2015 at 06:47 AM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Drought in CA