S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Drought in CA

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2015, 07:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drip irrigation

Experts tell us in Colorado that ground wells will not fill. They will dry up leaving thousands of people who depend on these wells without water. As these are rural areas piping water to them is not economically feasible.

There is no free lunch here.

When we had a drought in Illinois we did the following:
No car washing except at car washes that recycle.
No pull for a pee. Only flush for #2.
Dirty water from washing clothes was used to flush toilets. Somehow we could stop the washer cycle and dip out the water before it went down the drain.
Restaurants served bottled water and charged for it.
We saved massive amounts of water and avoided a disaster until the rains filled the reservoirs again.

Long term solution was an underground river running near the Ohio River was tapped. Problem solved.

In Colorado most of the people live on the east side od the continental divide but the vast majority of the water is on the west side. Tunnels have been dug through the mountains to take water to Denver, Colorado Springs, etc.

Desalinization plants may have to be built in California as a long term solution. In recent years Colorado has been facing a drought most years. This year the state snowpack is 69% of its 30 year average. That's where we get our water.

In Colorado the water rights are often worth more than the real estate.

Best.

Last edited by PhilNotHill; 04-10-2015 at 07:58 AM.
Old 04-14-2015, 01:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Have only done 2 full washes this year due to the drought. With no rain and the car being garaged both at home and work, it stays relatively clean much longer. I have been doing ONR wash every other week or so. However, I use only a single rinse bucket and a pressure sprayer to soak the car one section at a time with ONR to use even less water.
Old 05-05-2015, 06:24 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 279 Likes on 213 Posts

I've always used the bucket system of washing so the new restrictions are no big deal to me, but my town banned washing cars more than once per month. It's totally unenforceable so I just wash them when they are dirty.
Old 05-15-2015, 03:13 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I am so glad you asked this question! I started doing YouTube car reviews, and wanted to create a video about this exact subject (I live in S. California). The county/city I live in, was hit with the strictest fines (O.C./Newport Beach).

The water company sends us a bill with 'water allocation' requirements, based-off our household size (25% water reduction). Yes, it is true-- neighborhoods are being policed, & you can get a ticket for washing your car (or anything they deem excessive).

This is how we are trying to avoid over-usage, while still keeping cars clean:
- I love my long, hot showers (Gym now)
- Water plants in early morning-only (better absorption)
- Toilets: yellow keep it mellow, brown flush it down
- Audi S4 still gets hand-wash on Sunday @ home, but before 6am

Small sacrifices, water is a major issue here & not going away. I still need to research the "no rinse" products. Any brand recommendations?
Old 05-17-2015, 06:09 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Does the long, hot shower in the gym use less water in CA than at home? Just curious.
Old 05-17-2015, 08:23 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

@snagitsteven, I know... don't make me feel guilty. haha. This way, I don't have my husband complaining I am taking too long!

But on serious note, we are very conscious of usage of laundry & only starting machine if it's a full load.
Old 06-03-2015, 05:45 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default CA Drought & living it!

Thanks for bringing up topic & inspiring me to do a YouTube VIDEO! I did a bunch of research, so that I can be more aware of how to deal with it and help others. It sucks being in a drought... What are your thoughts on Waterless products? Check out my ideas/experiment...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YG6l0uPLPSQ

Originally Posted by togatown
How is the water drought in CA going to affect all you guys that wash your cars at home? Are they going to be patrolling for excessive hose use?

Got to love the two bucket ONR method out there!

Last edited by yaya1582; 06-04-2015 at 10:39 PM.
Old 06-03-2015, 07:42 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Jumping back in here...

... It is heartening to see us as auto enthusiasts taking this issue seriously. As far as waterless products, I am a big fan of Griot's; 1) Speed Shine for general dust, and 2) Spray-On Carwash for more serious dirt. Their microfiber towels they sell are really great, especially after they get washed a few times (in with the other clothes, so no extra water). With all towels used with car detailing, make sure you DO NOT use a dryer sheet as it gives an antistatic coating to the fabric that can smear when used on glass and paint.

Also, I am sure many have you have thought of this as well... stop over-washing your clothes. Most of the time, I do not get sweaty at work. My dress shirts and Khakis often get a a quick ride in the dryer after the day with other wet clothes to remove the wrinkles and they can be worn again. This is especially true if they are brand new and still have the full compliment of anti-wrinkling compound (Sanforizing). It washes out after the first true ride through the washing machine. Our family can make due with two-three loads of wash per week.

Car Care Products, Detailing Supplies, Auto Accessories - Griot's Garage 800-345-5789

Happy Motoring

Eric

Last edited by eric strauss; 06-05-2015 at 03:38 PM.
Old 06-04-2015, 10:41 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Cool, Griots comes highly recommended. I did not know about the static sheet issue! Thanks.
Old 06-06-2015, 07:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by yaya1582
Cool, Griots comes highly recommended. I did not know about the static sheet issue! Thanks.
This is so true.

Some other ideas:
Lemon pledge for wheels, tires, wheel wells, etc. cleans and gives a thin protective wax coating.
S4 and RS5 have 3M clear bra from the cowl forward. I use Windex or equiv to clean the bugs etc off with a micro fiber towel.
Dont use Windex on glass. It smears. Others such as McGuires and Armor All glass cleaner works soooo much better. I use a plastic pad (like steel wool) to clean the windshield. Wont scratch. Works great on bugs. Now use perfectly clean micro fiber towels intead of paper towels...they smear.
If you have trouble with rodents eating engine wires, filters etc those dryer sheets work great.

Best

Last edited by PhilNotHill; 06-06-2015 at 07:40 PM.

Quick Reply: Drought in CA