S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

ECU swap for GIAC chip in 2013 S4

Old 09-14-2014, 09:32 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ECU swap for GIAC chip in 2013 S4

Hi Guys,
I know that i have seen a post about someone doing an ECU swap before they did the GIAC chip upgrade to make sure that they don't have an issue with warranty at the dealership.

I just picked up my CPO S4 and since I only have 8000 miles on it, I will have a warranty for a long time to come. I've seen quite a few people talk about getting flagged at the dealer for warranty work with the ECU flash.

I've seen that nice long thread about the 2014 cars not working, but the 2013 seems to be working ok from what I can see.... "fingers crossed" lol
Old 09-14-2014, 10:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

My dealer actually does APR. I've reached out for the warranty conversation. I'll let you know what they have to say. They are an Audi dealer.... They'll know. And so will my local service shop. If it will screw up the warranty, I'll punt until next spring when I grab the tad older S5 V8 specifically to track the car. All mods on that one. And I'm pretty sure my auto insurance isn't going to cover tracking the car. Well.
Old 09-14-2014, 11:28 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SamLV
My dealer actually does APR. I've reached out for the warranty conversation. I'll let you know what they have to say. They are an Audi dealer.... They'll know. And so will my local service shop. If it will screw up the warranty, I'll punt until next spring when I grab the tad older S5 V8 specifically to track the car. All mods on that one. And I'm pretty sure my auto insurance isn't going to cover tracking the car. Well.
My friend is the Service Mgr. at the Dealership where I leased my 2010 and 2014. He told that when they connect a car to the diagnostic computer, it is programmed to look for parameters that would indicate that the car had a tune. If and when found, the car would automatically be designated a TD1 and warranty voided, Info sent to AoA. Dealer has no latitude in not reporting it. It was automatic and could not be circumvented

BTW, why would you want to track an S5 with the 4.2 V8? Wouldn't you be better off with an older S4 with the 3.0 SC engine. My 2004 s4 had the 4.2 V8 and it was never a great engine .

Last edited by DrGP; 09-14-2014 at 11:31 AM.
Old 09-15-2014, 08:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Great question. The answer is I don't know any better. I thought that V8 felt like a monster if unleashed. But now, thank you for the heads-up, I'm willing to be wrong.

I did make a few calls to the guys I know who track Ms up near Scranton. They said skip trying to track the A6 even with a modified suspension.

So, new toy being considered.....

BTW, the dealer told me exactly what was posted above. So, yeah, they'll flash it, and that is documented up-front, but poof goes the warranty.

Besides, after pushing the car for a while, more power almost makes no sense at all in normal conditions. I already hit ~100 by accident entering 422 and have no trouble playing with an R8 on 276. ;}

Since you live up here, if you have not yet played on Kings Highway between Zionsville and Quakertown, try it out....

Last edited by SamLV; 09-15-2014 at 08:29 AM.
Old 09-15-2014, 04:52 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I think you guys missed what I was trying to say..

Picking up a 2nd ECU so I can install that ECU and have that one flashed. Then if I need to go in for service, I can swap back the original ECU back into the car.
Old 09-16-2014, 08:54 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Brucem
I think you guys missed what I was trying to say..

Picking up a 2nd ECU so I can install that ECU and have that one flashed. Then if I need to go in for service, I can swap back the original ECU back into the car.
That would work.
Old 09-16-2014, 08:57 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by SamLV
Great question. The answer is I don't know any better. I thought that V8 felt like a monster if unleashed. But now, thank you for the heads-up, I'm willing to be wrong.

I did make a few calls to the guys I know who track Ms up near Scranton. They said skip trying to track the A6 even with a modified suspension.

So, new toy being considered.....

BTW, the dealer told me exactly what was posted above. So, yeah, they'll flash it, and that is documented up-front, but poof goes the warranty.

Besides, after pushing the car for a while, more power almost makes no sense at all in normal conditions. I already hit ~100 by accident entering 422 and have no trouble playing with an R8 on 276. ;}

Since you live up here, if you have not yet played on Kings Highway between Zionsville and Quakertown, try it out....
Not exactly sure which road you are talking about. I Live in Lower Saucon Township. Get over to Qtown frequently. Zionsville is between Emmaus and Coopersburg?
Old 09-16-2014, 11:56 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

ECU's are tied to the car and you can't swap them like the B5 used to allow... Also, TDI scans can be avoided by the dealer... My car is still "clean" and it's slightly modded... lol