S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

ESP off while driving

Old 07-28-2015, 08:14 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by safetywork
Agreed. I've racked up over 60k miles and I've never had the traction control light come on.
I noticed that when I went from P-Zero's to AS/3's the light comes on if I push it through a corner. But I have to push it pretty hard to make it flash. Also driving on a rough road will activate it if you're in a corner as well. Because of the tires losing contact with the ground ever so slightly due to bumps...
Old 07-29-2015, 11:02 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

You mean everyone doesn't automatically shut that off when they get in their car?

Its part of my routine... LOL
Old 07-29-2015, 11:33 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by speed_racer
You mean everyone doesn't automatically shut that off when they get in their car?

+1 lol
I do it when I wanna have fun
Old 07-29-2015, 02:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've turned ESP off to do burn outs and donuts.

While driving (even spiritedly) through my local twisties, ESP has saved my ar$e more than once.

ESP does more than just apply brakes!
Old 08-02-2015, 09:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by speed_racer

#iamallergictotractioncontrol

Old 08-03-2015, 04:48 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Last week finally got Apr Stg 2 and replaced my peelers with a set of AG M590 with summer tires
My car doesn't have DRC and before I got Stg 2 I rarely turned my TC off. Now I'm starting to turn it off to see if there's any difference but nothing noticeable. Any comments?
Also seems like ppl with DRC has steps to turn it off but mine it's just one push of a button.....
This wknd tested the Stg 2 against my friends 2011 M3 and we were pretty much neck and neck. Kinda disappointed because actual numbers Apr shows I should have clearly taken him. Any comments?
Old 08-03-2015, 07:59 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Man I would think that with stage 2 you'd def beat the M3. Do you have intake and exhaust as well? That'd help a little. Also what gas were you running? 93oct?
Old 08-03-2015, 09:14 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Originally Posted by blackserieS4
Last week finally got Apr Stg 2 and replaced my peelers with a set of AG M590 with summer tires
My car doesn't have DRC and before I got Stg 2 I rarely turned my TC off. Now I'm starting to turn it off to see if there's any difference but nothing noticeable. Any comments?
Also seems like ppl with DRC has steps to turn it off but mine it's just one push of a button.....
This wknd tested the Stg 2 against my friends 2011 M3 and we were pretty much neck and neck. Kinda disappointed because actual numbers Apr shows I should have clearly taken him. Any comments?
I'm not sure what you mean by DRC in this context. The only DRC I know is a type of suspension only available on RS models. You didn't say what year your car is. If it's a B8, then a single press of the ESC button only turns off ASR, which stands for Anti-Slip Regulation or more commonly known as traction control. The remaining functions of the stability program stay active. Pressing and holding the ESC button for 5 seconds turns everything off. If it's a B8.5, then a single press of the button puts the ESC in sport mode and pressing and holding it for 5 seconds also turns it off. Besides turning off ASR, ESC sport mode uses higher thresholds for the stability program and also deactivates forward collision warning and avoidance if your car is equipped with it.

You shouldn't feel a difference with ESC on or off, unless you drive at the limits where the car could loose traction or become unstable or you do something silly to upset the chassis. Turning off ESC on public roads is frankly quite reckless. You are putting yourself and those around you at an unnecessary risk no matter how good of a driver you are. Even pro drivers spin out cars. Without electronic assistance, a human driver cannot modulate the brakes on all 4 wheels independently to counteract forces that destabilize the car.
Old 08-03-2015, 05:01 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Pyromatic177
Man I would think that with stage 2 you'd def beat the M3. Do you have intake and exhaust as well? That'd help a little. Also what gas were you running? 93oct?
I currently have awe catback and intake. It's tuned for 93oct.
Old 08-03-2015, 05:07 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by superswiss
I'm not sure what you mean by DRC in this context. The only DRC I know is a type of suspension only available on RS models. You didn't say what year your car is. If it's a B8, then a single press of the ESC button only turns off ASR, which stands for Anti-Slip Regulation or more commonly known as traction control. The remaining functions of the stability program stay active. Pressing and holding the ESC button for 5 seconds turns everything off. If it's a B8.5, then a single press of the button puts the ESC in sport mode and pressing and holding it for 5 seconds also turns it off. Besides turning off ASR, ESC sport mode uses higher thresholds for the stability program and also deactivates forward collision warning and avoidance if your car is equipped with it.

You shouldn't feel a difference with ESC on or off, unless you drive at the limits where the car could loose traction or become unstable or you do something silly to upset the chassis. Turning off ESC on public roads is frankly quite reckless. You are putting yourself and those around you at an unnecessary risk no matter how good of a driver you are. Even pro drivers spin out cars. Without electronic assistance, a human driver cannot modulate the brakes on all 4 wheels independently to counteract forces that destabilize the car.
Ooops I meant ESC. Mine is a B8.5 and doesn't have DRC and my question was since I got Stage 2 if there's any difference turning ESC off in performance. I tested it today but I don't have to hold it down for 5 sec one push it turn ESC off.
Only time I would turn it off is when I'm running against someone on the hwy not on local streets but thx for the safety tip...I've had my share of spinning.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: ESP off while driving