S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Feeling some anxiety about the B8 sunset...

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2016, 11:55 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Feeling some anxiety about the B8 sunset...

… our current S4 is just a few months from lease end, and we are considering options. ALthough the B9 S4 will undoubtedly perform "better" on paper, we have enjoyed the incredible balance of the B8 (one S4, two S5's). I am so tempted to get one of the last remaining B8 S4's (some Nogaro Blues out there) and ****** it up. The aftermarket parts are falling in price as the ramp-up towards the B9's begins. The B9 has a bigger back seat, which we could use, but the other "upgrades" leave me cold - especially the digital info screens, tiptronic, stop-go function, steering, etc. - my sense is that, in place of the B9 S4, I would migrate to a BMW 340i with the Track Package. I have been in the BMWCCA for twenty years and their sheer size means so many more track and drive events, plus the sales manager from Pacific Audi has moved to BMW (he has given such wonderful deals on the last five Audi's). We would still have the RS5, so my love of Audi's is still alive and well :-)

Interesting times and I am just opening this up to my fellow road mates for a discussion…

Best of motoring

Eric

Below is the current S4 in its early adolescence on the Snake at Mulholland.
Attached Thumbnails Feeling some anxiety about the B8 sunset...-s4-snake-ii-6jul14.jpg  

Last edited by eric strauss; 07-22-2016 at 02:10 PM.
Old 07-22-2016, 06:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 490 Likes on 334 Posts

I'm also not happy with losing S tronic. But I don't see how that can be a reason to get a 340i, given that also uses the same ZF8HP?

The B9 S4 will be more agile, handle better in every situation, stop better, be faster in every situation. I don't know why you think the steering would be better in the B8, I think the new 5 link front end on the B9 improves steering feel over the B8.

The Sports diff on the new S4 has been revised (lighter and more responsive to conditions), the whole quattro system is more tied together via ECP, so it should be better in the real world than just on paper.

What concerns me with the B9 S4 is that it will all feel a bit soft, more on the refined side than the sporty side. Even if it does everything else better than the B8, it just may not be as much fun.

An S car should have some extra excitement to it. It should be more than an S/Line with a big engine. The B8 has that, I'm not sure from what I have read that the B9 does.

But then I find the F30 (F36 in my case) to be soft, too. Yes, you can add on M Performance bits after the car is built, to give it a bit more edge, but this seems a bit of a weird approach to me. As I really benefit from the AWD traction advantage where I am, BMW is not a serious consideration as xDrive means can't steer/can't handle/can't ride. Obviously, RWD is not an issue for you.

But I can see why the 340i with Track Package (I would get the M-Perf LSD as well) could work for you. Especially if you can now option a higher quality interior. One proviso is that I believe the Track Package comes with VSS. I have never experienced it, but it seems to be polarising, with as many hating it as liking it. I'm no fan of Audi's Dynamic steering, and apparently VSS is more extreme, so I'd test that out.

For canyon carving and track use, an M2 would be nice. But not exactly in keeping with your previously expressed desire for a larger car / rear seat room.

But the real question is: I thought Erin liked "her" S4 more than "your" RS5. If you are keeping the RS5 (very wise decision), shouldn't it be her call on the replacement
Old 07-22-2016, 07:05 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default True enough...

I think if we were to get a BMW, we would opt for the manual transmission. Indeed, ultimately the decision is up to Erin. If we wait for the B9 S4, to test drive, then the B8's are all gone. I am worried that the new quattro system will lead to even greater understeer - perhaps they will engineer that out of the S-models We shall see…

Your comment about the M2 is spot on… the RS5 is a year behind the S4 in a lease and I love the M2. Right now, Los Angeles BMW dealers are getting $10-15K over MSRP for the little beast. In 1.5 years, the story may well be different.

Thanks

Eric

Last edited by eric strauss; 07-22-2016 at 07:08 PM.
Old 07-23-2016, 10:12 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Would you consider waiting for the RS3? I know it will cost more and won't have as much back seat room. Probably same reason the M2 doesn't work for you PLUS it will be a lot more expensive than the M2.

Alternatively, the Jaguar XE will be larger inside, have decent performance, AWD , torque vectoring differential and is supposed to be available with a 6MT. (don't hold your breath) . Perhaps what the B9 S4 should have been .
Old 07-23-2016, 11:57 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Great point about the Jag...

… what I really want is an RS4 Avant!! I came so close to getting a Polestar from Volvo, but the numbers didn't work. No doubt, the RS3 will be awesome and with Audi Loyalty, price might even be competitive. I still love Quattro and X-drive doesn't behave the same way.

I have some friends who have new Jags and the are always in the shop - kind of scares me. Of course, my early C7 Corvette folks seem to visit the dealer quite a bit as well. Two roasted engines at less than 10K from oil filter shards running amuck around the crankshaft.

Overall, I am just a bit discouraged that the added tech is just isolating me from the driving experience. I feel like a Luddite saying so, but in 1.6M miles of driving, I have yet to use cruise control, except to see if it works in the car before I sell it. I miss the E36 M3 and my 1975 Datsun (yes, Datsun) 280Z. I have to suck it up and admit that my daily driver shouldn't be my canyon car. AS much as I love the accomplishments of the RS5, it is heavy, isolating - yet amazing when on the boil and flinging through the canyons.

Thanks for the remarks… I am enjoying the input… it should be over pizza and beer in my garage (yes, I actually have electric lights)

Eric
Old 07-24-2016, 08:28 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think there will be a 2017-8 S4 Avant in the US. Go test drive a 2017 A4. Honestly it's good enough to replace an S4. If you really like high revs and great engine sounds, plus nicer leather stitching, it's worth waiting for a new S4. Just extend your lease 6 months.

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a4-...eview-2902138/
Old 07-24-2016, 12:18 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Feeling a little better...

… thanks. I did extend a lease before waiting for a new model (2010 Q5 3.2, before there was an SQ5).
Old 07-24-2016, 02:48 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I am in the same boat. Hate waiting 6 months or more for a B9 and the thought of dealing with new model issues. I also drove the polestar S60 and found it a thrill. Just not completely sold on the lack of rear seat room and a little less refined. The B8's left on the east coast are not well equipped.
Old 07-24-2016, 04:27 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Although I can't tell completely haow they are equipped..

Originally Posted by TPOP
I am in the same boat. Hate waiting 6 months or more for a B9 and the thought of dealing with new model issues. I also drove the polestar S60 and found it a thrill. Just not completely sold on the lack of rear seat room and a little less refined. The B8's left on the east coast are not well equipped.
… there are 4-5 Nogaro Blue B8's in SoCal that are in the $58-62K range, so at least the basics are there (Sport Diff, Nav Package).

Yes, the paddle shifters on the Polestar were a long wait from command to gear change. The back seat was a bit cramped.
Old 07-25-2016, 03:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 490 Likes on 334 Posts

Originally Posted by eric strauss
... I am worried that the new quattro system will lead to even greater understeer - perhaps they will engineer that out of the S-models We shall see…
Eric
If you are referring to quattro Ultra, the only B9 in the US that has that system is the Allroad. The S4 has an evolution of the B8's self-locking centre differential system. The optional Sports diff has been updated. The biggest change is via a new electronic control module (ECP), tying it all together:

https://www.audi-mediacenter.com/en/.../handling-5620

I am yet to read any S4 report where there was a suggestion that the B9 is not a better handling car than the B8. But plenty that suggest it may not be as exciting/engaging/involving to drive. All emotional attributes which are completely subjective. Perhaps essential to actually test drive the car rather than ordering blind, which is a hassle given the delay in it appearing.

Quick Reply: Feeling some anxiety about the B8 sunset...