S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Feeling some anxiety about the B8 sunset...

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2016, 05:00 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 490 Likes on 334 Posts

Originally Posted by DrGP
Would you consider waiting for the RS3? I know it will cost more and won't have as much back seat room. Probably same reason the M2 doesn't work for you PLUS it will be a lot more expensive than the M2.

Alternatively, the Jaguar XE will be larger inside, have decent performance, AWD , torque vectoring differential and is supposed to be available with a 6MT. (don't hold your breath) . Perhaps what the B9 S4 should have been .
This is the second time I've seen a US based forum member saying Jaguar has a torque vectoring rear differential. It does, but only on the F-Type R. All other models only use inside wheel braking, just like everyone else. Must be something in Jaguar's US materials or a review that is a little loose with descriptions, pardon the pun.

Whilst pricing is going to move around from market to market, the RS3, M2 (dual clutch) and B9 S4 will all be around the same price in Germany, before adding options. As is the Mercedes-AMG C43, Porsche Macan S, etc. The €60,000 (in US $55,000 excluding Germany's 20% VAT tax) price point is hotly contested. But as usual keeping the base price low, and ramp up the option list is how the manufacturers aim for margins. The advantage of the M2 is at the basic price, you actually have a car you can just about drive away in
Old 07-25-2016, 08:24 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

Yeah, the new S4 and 5 are leaving me very cold so far. I'm disappointed in the direction Audi is going. I know it's an artifact of the times, but I loath turbo charged engines, especially the smaller ones. The new V6T apparently sounds like crap, too. It gets worse the higher you rev it. I know this may seem superficial, but I still believe a performance car should sound the part, without having to put thousands of dollars into an aftermarket exhaust for nothing else other than fixing the sound. If it actually added performance proportional to the cost, it would be another story.

Coming from a B7 S4, I have to admit the B8/.5 left me wanting, too. It was just too soft and lacking character for me. The trend unfortunately continues. The RS5 offered what I was looking for, but this seems to be the end of the road. I can't accept yet, that the R8 is going to be the only Audi performance car left with a high-revving engine and a dual clutch transmission. The entire S and RS lineup going torque converter automatic is not sitting well with me. I've driven many BMWs with the ZF8HP, and it's simply not doing it for me. I would go back to a manual transmission, but unfortunately, that's not an option for Audi.

I'm not leasing, so I have time to see and watch. I generally buy new cars after the midcycle refresh anyway. By that time usually things get fixed and improved.

I may have to go Porsche or Benz for my next car. The new C63 S coupe is so far the only car I could see myself replacing the RS5 with. As much as I would love to own an R8, it's just not practical and you can't DD it here w/o attracting too many haters. I've already had two vandalism claims with the RS5, but I like that it mostly blends in with its lesser sibling the A5. Something like the R8 just attracts too much attention.

Overall, I really liked where Audi's head was with the current generation of cars. I think they had the performance/comfort/luxury/design formula nailed. Unfortunately, I think they lost it. New people in charge I guess. I'm not impressed with Marc Lichte's designs so far. I kinda have a Chris Bangle deja vu. Not as bad, but the change in design directions is not my cup of tea so far. BMW has come back around after the Chris Bangle abominations, so I have hope that Audi will get back on track. The Audi Prologue concept was promising, but what's actually coming out as far as production cars are concerned is not quite living up to that yet.
Old 07-25-2016, 08:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by DrGP
Would you consider waiting for the RS3?
Originally Posted by eric strauss
No doubt, the RS3 will be awesome and with Audi Loyalty, price might even be competitive. I still love Quattro...
The 3 is a neat little car for sure, but the Haldex system is not Quattro with Sport Differential. Eric you seem to be worried about understeer. The Haldex system understeers pretty badly. Most so in the RS3 due to the heavier 5 cylinder engine. As much as Audi's marketing department is trying to make everybody believe that the current Haldex system is more rear biased, it is not. The design of the Haldex system always puts more torque on the front axle then the rear.
Old 07-25-2016, 11:08 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by superswiss
The 3 is a neat little car for sure, but the Haldex system is not Quattro with Sport Differential. Eric you seem to be worried about understeer. The Haldex system understeers pretty badly. Most so in the RS3 due to the heavier 5 cylinder engine. As much as Audi's marketing department is trying to make everybody believe that the current Haldex system is more rear biased, it is not. The design of the Haldex system always puts more torque on the front axle then the rear.
Well, not in the case of the R8

Agree with most of your comments from earlier post. Especially re. Marc Lichte. Funnily enough that your mention the C63s:

Head of Audi's Munich Design Studio to Oversee Mercedes Exterior Design ? News ?*Car and Driver | Car and Driver Blog

Badstübner left Audi because I gather there was friction between he and Wolfgang Egger. This is what started it all, and somehow all the talented designers left and they pulled in Lichte from VW. Reason I posted this is because Badstübner is obviously involved in the C205/C63 Coupé design, which I find amusing after seeing what Lichte has done to the A5/S5. Egger must have upset a lot of people, but I hope they bring him back from Siberia/Italdesign, and return Lichte to Corporate Audit where he can use his ruler and straight edge to good effect.
Old 07-25-2016, 05:12 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by westwest888
I think there will be a 2017-8 S4 Avant in the US.

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a4-...eview-2902138/
You can have all the wishful thinking you want. But the chances of a B9 S4 Avant coming to the US is slim to none. Not enough B6/B7 S4 Avants were sold to warrant it. Audi wants you to buy an Allroad or Q5/QS5 instead.
Old 07-25-2016, 09:14 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Glisse
Well, not in the case of the R8
That's correct. The R8 occupies a special place, but unless they throw the engine in the back on the RS3, it ain't gonna offer an R8 experience. Haldex pretty much by design mainly drives the axle that's closest to the engine and it's the axle that can't be decoupled.
Old 07-26-2016, 07:26 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by superswiss
That's correct. The R8 occupies a special place, but unless they throw the engine in the back on the RS3, it ain't gonna offer an R8 experience. Haldex pretty much by design mainly drives the axle that's closest to the engine and it's the axle that can't be decoupled.
The potential is there for Audi to use a locking mechanical diff on the updated RS3, as they do on the R8. With the weight reduction of the new 400hp engine, and the change to electronic control units (already in the updated S3 released in Europe, but not in US cars), its handling should match up to its straight line performance. It is a very quick car, sounds amazing, but probably not right for Eric's DD and rear space needs.
Old 07-26-2016, 07:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Glisse
The potential is there for Audi to use a locking mechanical diff on the updated RS3, as they do on the R8. With the weight reduction of the new 400hp engine, and the change to electronic control units (already in the updated S3 released in Europe, but not in US cars), its handling should match up to its straight line performance. It is a very quick car, sounds amazing, but probably not right for Eric's DD and rear space needs.
I disagree. Due to the transverse engine layout, they can't install a locking center diff with symmetric driveshafts. They would end up with asymmetric driveshafts, which would still have issues such as torque steering.
Old 07-26-2016, 11:13 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Front diff, not centre locking. Although just speculation. AMG did add one (optional) to the A45, which has improved the car, but it still lags behind the current RS3 on a few aspects. Such as traction:

Old 07-26-2016, 01:17 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default This is why I love this site...

... I pose a question and start learning new ways to consider and understand my passions for cars. Thanks folks...

On a sadder note, one of my favorite canyons to storm is Little Tujunga, which is part of the 35,000 acres up in flames in The "Sand" Fire here in LA. This is a troubled legacy of historic fire suppression, droughts and dense housing in the urban wildlife boundaries.

Below is an image of Little Tujunga in greener days... and one from the Cal Fire Site taken yesterday
Attached Thumbnails Feeling some anxiety about the B8 sunset...-little-tujunga.jpg  
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Feeling some anxiety about the B8 sunset...