S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

A few questions before buying

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2014, 08:02 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A few questions before buying

I recently had the opportunity to test drive an S4 and really enjoyed it. I am a bit reluctant to purchase though because I have some doubts about reliability and concerns about long term ownership costs due to maintenance. I had several coworkers and friends that have had Audi’s that were quite unreliable. I am trying to get over that but it is hard to do when it is so easy to find countless accounts of costly maintenance issues with a simple Google search. I am really uncomfortable with the possibility of spending many trips to the dealer to get a loaner. I just don’t have time or the appetite for it considering it costs $50k.

With that said, I have been reading as much as I can find on this great site trying to get some answers that will help me get more comfortable but I have not been able to find answers to a few questions. Perhaps responses to this post will be helpful to others in the same position. I would really appreciate some help with the following.

Unplanned Maintenance
1. It sounds like most people lease or buy with a plan to trade prior to end of the warranty. I typically hold cars 5-6 years / approx 80k miles. Do I have to change my plan and trade prior to end of warranty? Are many of you holding past the warranty period?
2. Are the issues with clunking/banging from under the car at low speeds fixed in the 2014 models or does this problem persist? The threads I read suggest there is a bit of confusion about the source of the problem, pointing at several suspension parts. I actually heard this noise on a 2013 CPO that I test drove and I don’t want to hear it on my new car at $50k
3. Is the issue with premature thermostat failures fixed now? Thermostats are not listed on the maintenance schedule. Does anyone know when they are expected to fail?
4. What other issues have come up that require unplanned maintenance like bushings? What are the costs for this work? Speaking of bushings, I found some information that suggests this is a common failure but I don’t see it on the maintenance schedule. How often do they need to be replaced? Any idea what it costs?

Planned Maintenance
I am coming from 15 years of Acura ownership where I had to perform very little planned maintenance prior to approximately 80,000 miles. How much does it cost to maintain this vehicle to 80k? Is AudiCare worth it? It appears to be mostly visual checks, replacing spark plugs, belts and oil changes. I really don’t have time to trek all the way to the dealer twice per visit so I would probably use an Independent closer to home for this work. Can someone tell me what it costs to a. change the oil and replace plugs and spec’d for this vehicle? How often do the belts have to be replaced?

Assuming I can get over my angst about reliability, I have to settle on a price. There are still a few 2014’s in my area sitting next to 15’s. 14’s are a year old at this point, and will be treated as such on trade-in in the future. For this reason, I would have expected Audi to discount the 14’s like other brands but that has not been my experience. My local dealer offered me 6% off plus $1,000 conquest cash. I read several are getting this on 15’s, although mine refuses to give more than the congest cash on 15’s. What is reasonable for a 14 right now?

Sorry for the long post. Thanks in advance for your insight.
Old 08-13-2014, 04:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default I was offered $4000 off 2015 s4

On a car to be ordered!
Old 08-13-2014, 09:47 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

1) Many of us lease. If you do, unlike most cars the residuals are low so rather than giving the car back at lease end , you can trade it in and get the equity that is the difference between the residual and the dealer trade in price. I got $6k when I traded my 2010 in on a 2014. If you do plan on keeping the car long term , an extended warranty is a good thing to have. Don't buy it initially. Anything can happen. Buy it anytime before your manufacturer's warranty runs out. If you intend to keep the car for some time, buying is the better option

2) I'm on my 3rd B8 S4. Never had clunking or banging with any of them.

3) Thermostat failures should be fixed, but there still seems to be occasional reports of failure. It will be covered under warranty if it does happen.

4. a clutch, if you have a 6MT will not be covered under warranty. Brake pads, wiper blades, front end alignment and tire rotations , are not covered either. Many of us have AudiCare which covers maintenance and service during the factory warranty.

5) S4s can be purchased for as little as $500 over invoice based on the dealer. You should get a better deal on a leftover 2014. If not, Go somewhere else or get an 2015 which will be worth more when you resell it.

6)IMHO, This is a great car. I've had 3 of them because I cannot find anything else out there in the price range that I like better. All 3 have had few minor issues. If you are expecting the reliability of a Japanese car, you may be disappointed. Also, DO NOT BUY THIS CAR if you think it is going to get good gas mileage. You will be VERY disappointed.
Old 08-13-2014, 09:48 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jyges
On a car to be ordered!
Off sticker price or dealer invoice?
Old 08-13-2014, 09:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default off msrp

window sticker
Old 08-15-2014, 10:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by jyges
window sticker
That's an average deal.
Old 08-16-2014, 12:46 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I own a 2014 S4. <2000KM's. My friend just picked up his 2015 S4.

I notice sort of a click/clunk noise when I pull out of the driveway, then put in Drive and take off. then its gone.

My friend notices a noise when he turns at very low speeds. Are either of these what you guys are talking about?