S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Fuel injector recall

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2015, 09:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Fuel injector recall

The recent recall on the fuel injector - got my letter in the mail, took the car in - and, because of the APR Stage II tune, could not get the recall fixed - it seems, Audi needs to go in and do some programing, and won't do it in case of messing up the APR. Anyone have similar issues , or know anything?
Old 04-12-2015, 09:33 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bandersen
The recent recall on the fuel injector - got my letter in the mail, took the car in - and, because of the APR Stage II tune, could not get the recall fixed - it seems, Audi needs to go in and do some programing, and won't do it in case of messing up the APR. Anyone have similar issues , or know anything?
Where you already TD1? Just curious why you'd bring your car into the dealer with the tune on it unless it's already flagged or your out of warranty?
Old 04-12-2015, 12:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 247 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by bandersen
I would think you need to get the ECU re-Flash'd to stock by the local APR dealer, before taking in for a recall.
Old 04-13-2015, 11:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Joe85STi
Where you already TD1? Just curious why you'd bring your car into the dealer with the tune on it unless it's already flagged or your out of warranty?
Not sure what you mean by TD1....but, why wouldn't I bring the car to the dealer while under warranty especially?
Old 04-13-2015, 12:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

The short version is that TD1 is a label applied to your vehicle by Audi that means they have detected a modification has been made to the ECU (or other parts of the vehicle). A vehicle with a tune such as yours may be automatically tagged "TD1" when it is connected to the mothership system such as during an update or during the course of fixing an issue like your injectors. One of the best ways to reduce the likelihood that your car will be tagged TD1 is to have the tuning company flash your ECU back to OEM with the values that were in place on your ECU before the tune. Many of the people that are tuned do just that, and I imagine that is why Joe85STi was wondering why you wouldn't have tried to protect yourself from TD1 by having your tuner flash you back to stock before going to the dealer for a procedure that would likely get you TD1'd.

Basically, once TD1'd, Audi will decline any warranty claims work on your vehicle if something goes wrong with an item related to the system that was flagged. There has been alot of discussion on this topic here and on other forums if you want to read up on it.

Is sounds like your dealer (inadvertently?) saved you from the possibility of getting TD1'd.
Old 04-13-2015, 05:23 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ToastR
The short version is that TD1 is a label applied to your vehicle by Audi that means they have detected a modification has been made to the ECU (or other parts of the vehicle). A vehicle with a tune such as yours may be automatically tagged "TD1" when it is connected to the mothership system such as during an update or during the course of fixing an issue like your injectors. One of the best ways to reduce the likelihood that your car will be tagged TD1 is to have the tuning company flash your ECU back to OEM with the values that were in place on your ECU before the tune. Many of the people that are tuned do just that, and I imagine that is why Joe85STi was wondering why you wouldn't have tried to protect yourself from TD1 by having your tuner flash you back to stock before going to the dealer for a procedure that would likely get you TD1'd.

Basically, once TD1'd, Audi will decline any warranty claims work on your vehicle if something goes wrong with an item related to the system that was flagged. There has been alot of discussion on this topic here and on other forums if you want to read up on it.

Is sounds like your dealer (inadvertently?) saved you from the possibility of getting TD1'd.
The dealer may have flagged him already, but just being nice about it. Perhaps since it's a recall rather than repair, they are letting the TD1 slide. In any case what a pain flash tuning is. And the tuner will probably charge $100 a visit to remove and put the tune back on after your dealer work. Wish Cobb would release a unit for our cars.
Old 05-06-2015, 11:54 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by ToastR

Not true. I am TD1 and I had this recall done two weeks ago. As recent as this week they performed (and fully covered) the carbon build up on the intake exhaust port cleaning. Yes, they did have to get Audi to approve the warranty work which delayed things a bit, however everything was fully covered.

Tom
Old 06-07-2015, 11:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Td1

Tanks for the points guys. As I am on an overseas assignment for another 10 months...I'm going to just have to wait until I get home, get it re-flashed for $40 according to the APR dealer, then try again w/my Audi dealer - who, I have a lot of confidence in. If it's flagged...my fault, and I'll go from there. Last car was BMW/Dinan tuned..Dinan being 'approved', so, figured I'd be upfront w/the dealer...we'll see early next year if that was smart or not...but, Raleigh Audi has been great so far. Thanks again for the info though.