S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Good old Brake Squeal!

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2012, 06:44 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Good old Brake Squeal!

I just dropped off my B8 S4 at Audi of Alexandria in Virginial for the 15K service, and, of course, the horrendous brake squeal is back because temps dropped. The service guy would not acknowledge this is a known problem, keep telling me that 'Audi's make some brake sounds, it's normal' and when I told him I had a TSB number (which I found on multiple forums) he said that he did not want it and it would not help him. I tried to explain to him that this is not your normal little brake noise, it's very loud and very embarrassing but I know, without even hearing from them that they are going to do nothing. Does anyone have suggestions for me? Should I tell them to keep the car until they fix it?
Old 12-11-2012, 01:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I didn't have with me the TSB number - but my SA basically said the same thing. He said the S4 brakes need to 'warmed up' not to squeak. Like you said it's embarrassing. Between the DSG lurching and my squeaky brakes I feel like I'm 16 again, driving a rusted out Civic trying to learn how to drive stick.
Old 12-11-2012, 01:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

I pick up my car tomorrow. According to my dealership, the TSB requires them to lubricate the entire brake system and adjust the pads by rounding off certain edges. He said they did that and no squeal but as everyone knows, the squeal occurs arbitrarily We'll see what happens. There was no cost for the service of course.
Old 12-11-2012, 02:43 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

They are full of crap, the TSB is an entire replacement of the pads, rotors, etc... Verdict for me today was that my car does not qualify because apparently half way through the year 2011 (mine is a 2012) they made an adjustment and widened the rotors which was supposed to address the issue, well, it didn't work. They did at lease tell me I can come by and take the foreman out and tr to re-create the noise, so now I have to find a day where it's cold enough and hope it makes the noise with someone sitting in my passenger seat who doesn't want to be there. FUN.
Old 12-11-2012, 03:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

Ask them to show the TSB and the build date it references. Otherwise, call Audi and complain. I've already gone over my dealer's head on an item that they gave me the runaround on........and got it fixed.
Old 12-11-2012, 06:22 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Last time I took my car in they gave me a pamphlet from Audi explaining WHY there was brake squeal and expect you to live with it. I can hardly wait for the OEMs to wear out so I can replace them with ceramic and get rid of the horrendous brake dust as well.
Old 12-12-2012, 02:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

So what is the TSB number that is supposed to address brake squeal?

Thanks!
Old 12-12-2012, 02:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by carguyrob
So what is the TSB number that is supposed to address brake squeal?

Thanks!
According to my January 2012 invoice; TSB 2027636/1 replaced my front pads and rotors.....and fixed the problem.
Old 12-12-2012, 01:29 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Took it back today and took the foreman with me on a ride. The car made the squeal about four times on the way over. I then thankfully was able to make it happen once with him in the car but then couldn't for 10 minutes of driving after that. But he heard it and it was awful. Audi is telling him to check that the pads are glued and if not to replace them and also clean the rods, etc... So another BS non-solution I'm sure but we'll see. Apparently my car does have the right parts when they made the change to address this but who knows. He said if it continues after this then he will try to get Audi to replace everything. Dropping it off Friday, will update
Old 12-12-2012, 05:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the same issue. Took the car to the dealer, who lubricated the rods, still squealing like a pig. Told me I should replace the pads (Ridiculous, going to call Audi and make a stink) Let me know where you get.

Quick Reply: Good old Brake Squeal!