S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Good old Brake Squeal!

Old 02-24-2015, 09:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dealer informed me during my 45k service that my front brakes needed pads and rotors, I replaced the OE with OE rotors and EBC (Yellow) pads at an independent. No more squealing finally!. Dealer wanted to perform the service for me with OE equipment (no they weren't going to pay for this), told them no thanks! Definitely don't want the squeal back....they must think I'm stupid or have short term memory as they did absolutely nothing to assist me with my complaints.

Last edited by safetywork; 02-24-2015 at 09:03 AM.
Old 02-24-2015, 09:28 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by safetywork
Dealer informed me during my 45k service that my front brakes needed pads and rotors, I replaced the OE with OE rotors and EBC (Yellow) pads at an independent. No more squealing finally!. Dealer wanted to perform the service for me with OE equipment (no they weren't going to pay for this), told them no thanks! Definitely don't want the squeal back....they must think I'm stupid or have short term memory as they did absolutely nothing to assist me with my complaints.
Thats good to hear I'm barely at 9k miles on my my 2014 and it squeaks so badly, I bought the yellow stuff just need to install them.
Old 02-24-2015, 11:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

r1eater,

The new EBC Yellows are working well, my rears have recently started squealing (maybe they've always squeal but I couldn't hear them). Dealer did inform me that my rears will soon require rotor and pad change. Now that I'm over the 50k mile warranty period, I've found what I believe to be a good independent.

Initial bite on the Yellows aren't as dramatic as OE but when the pads warm up they perform very well....thus far.
Old 02-25-2015, 06:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by DRAndeo
I just dropped off my B8 S4 at Audi of Alexandria in Virginial for the 15K service, and, of course, the horrendous brake squeal is back because temps dropped. The service guy would not acknowledge this is a known problem, keep telling me that 'Audi's make some brake sounds, it's normal' and when I told him I had a TSB number (which I found on multiple forums) he said that he did not want it and it would not help him. I tried to explain to him that this is not your normal little brake noise, it's very loud and very embarrassing but I know, without even hearing from them that they are going to do nothing. Does anyone have suggestions for me? Should I tell them to keep the car until they fix it?
Every time after service am emailed a survey. Fill it out and contact Audi NA.
Old 03-01-2015, 09:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Gave up fighting the dealer...bought HAWK pads online...ceramic ones...WORK GREAT! No squeal..better stopping and less dust IMHO
Old 03-01-2015, 10:11 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Got her back from dealer (Audi Atlanta) nice and clean. Per the service notes, they were able to reproduce (not that I had any doubts), replaced from pads and rotors. No squeak on the way home, but as brand new, they are very soft compared to the bite of the others. At this point, I'll take soft and quiet vs. bitey and screaming. I'll do the brake break in as best I can, hopefully that will keep the screamin' demons at bay.

Last edited by dawgfanjeff; 03-03-2015 at 08:36 AM.
Old 03-02-2015, 11:21 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default squealers unite!

OK so we have 6 pages of squealers complaining now and the dealers make excuses and Audi of Am does nothing. Aren't any of you squealers a lawyer - let's start a class action suit. We can all record our squealing and howling S4 - it shouldn't be this difficult to get action. But it is downright embarrassing to be squealing like a pig when we shelled out righteous bucks for these cars. I know we can go buy cheap pads, but why us, we already paid big money.
Old 03-10-2015, 05:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default yes it is a pain

Originally Posted by TPOP
OK so we have 6 pages of squealers complaining now and the dealers make excuses and Audi of Am does nothing. Aren't any of you squealers a lawyer - let's start a class action suit. We can all record our squealing and howling S4 - it shouldn't be this difficult to get action. But it is downright embarrassing to be squealing like a pig when we shelled out righteous bucks for these cars. I know we can go buy cheap pads, but why us, we already paid big money.
but the brakes are very very good, I will take the trade off. Squeal at cold temps. but very aggressive brakes to save your rear.
Old 03-10-2015, 07:11 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jyges
but the brakes are very very good, I will take the trade off. Squeal at cold temps. but very aggressive brakes to save your rear.
I can't believe we have the same squeal. Remember in Lord of the Rings when the Nazgul's dragon things shriek so bad it debilitates all the humans? It's like that only more so

My favorite aspect is that the left and right weren't even the same note, it was a cacophony that words can't describe, and it's even from 1MPH to dead stop.

Mine are firming back up a bit. I agree, the brakes were outstanding before. If I notice any significant drawbacks in performance, I'll likely investigate new pads.
Old 03-10-2015, 02:27 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I got TSP ... for a while it was quiet.. now .. its back to squeal....... and Man.. stop telling me cold weather does it.. because I live in SoCal... crappy brake pad...