S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

How to Enable Audi Individual Drive Select - VCDS

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2012, 03:45 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by socfan12
This is great, sendmeone, very timely for me. It looks like you were able to turn on the suspension option. Do you recall what byte/bit combination that was to turn it on (haha, I'm trying to do the opposite, turn off the ADS suspension as I want to install coilovers).

Also, with steering and suspension on, do you get a CEL/error saying it can't speak to the specific ADS components they talk to, i.e, the steering servtronic that offers variable ratio and the ADS suspension?

cheer
allen
Hi Allen. I'm not sure that you can turn off ADS suspension with vagcom, or at least not with the procedure sendmeone created. All this is doing is giving some users MMI control over several options where the users don't have ADS switching installed (or ADS hardware?). Maybe others have an option for you.

I ran through these vagcom steps and enabled switching of engine and steering in MMI. I found it interesting that you have to enable byte 17, bit 7 even though this is called 'Ambient Temp Sensor'. I skipped this step at first but the ADS MMI option was grayed out until I went back in and enabled it. After getting it all set up last night, I tried it out this morning. For the engine, I think ezveedub is correct: setting the engine for dynamic just seems to put the car in S mode even when in D. The shifting seems the same between the two in dynamic. Those who drive in D mode could just as easily drop down into S mode for this feature. I drive in manual mode and so far don't notice a difference in M mode with the engine set to dynamic. Maybe the tranny won't short shift at WOT like others have complained about if the engine is set to dynamic? I doubt anything will change personally. As for steering in dynamic, it did feel like it stiffened up for me even though I don't have an ADS equipped car. Maybe something does change with the steering on a base model S4 with this vagcom change. I didn't bother enabling suspension or sports diff since I don't have the right hardware. I have not seen any CELs so far. I'll try to run a full autoscan this weekend and see if I get any errors there. Feedback is welcome.
Old 06-01-2012, 04:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is great, sendmeone, very timely for me. It looks like you were able to turn on the suspension option. Do you recall what byte/bit combination that was to turn it on (haha, I'm trying to do the opposite, turn off the ADS suspension as I want to install coilovers).

Also, with steering and suspension on, do you get a CEL/error saying it can't speak to the specific ADS components they talk to, i.e, the steering servtronic that offers variable ratio and the ADS suspension?

cheer
allen
I will take a screenshot of this for you and post shortly.

As for the CEL/error...if it is on the MMI I have no errors present. If it is on the AutoScan of the VCDS then yes:

Address 09: Control Module for Electric Regulated Dampers & Charisma Switch Module.
Old 06-01-2012, 04:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

cheer
allen
Here is the pic for your reference, Byte 8 is the one I modified, you can use the manual on my first post for more information.

These are the bits that you can modify which reflect in the MMI:

Bit 1: Steering
Bit 2: Engine/gearbox
Bit 3: Suspension

Hope this helps answering your question
Attached Images  
Old 06-01-2012, 05:11 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

As for the CEL/error...if it is on the MMI I have no errors present. If it is on the AutoScan of the VCDS then yes:

Address 09: Control Module for Electric Regulated Dampers & Charisma Switch Module.
Thanks sendmeone. I'll look for this error during my scan. Again, great job with the document.
Old 06-01-2012, 06:05 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Of course it's not a Magnetic Ride Suspension just electronically controlled dampers, but who's keeping track.
Old 06-01-2012, 06:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thx, guys. It may not be a CEL, most likely an error in the DIS (like when need to refuel) because now some controller is trying to speak to the damper controller and can't find it. But if you're not seeing that, turning off the ADS suspension may mean I have to go deeper than this. But I will try, can't hurt.

Wrt to steering change feel, it's probably the weighting that has changed in dynamic, which is different than the steering ratio controlled by the servo unit (which non ADS won't have).
Old 06-01-2012, 07:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by zulujams
Thanks sendmeone. I'll look for this error during my scan. Again, great job with the document.
Thanks! Good Luck
Old 06-01-2012, 09:12 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

cheer
allen
There is a separate suspension control module, so if you activate it in the MMI system, you will get a fault. Same might apply for the ADS steering column, since it needs to control the ratio.
Old 06-01-2012, 01:54 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by ezveedub
There is a separate suspension control module, so if you activate it in the MMI system, you will get a fault. Same might apply for the ADS steering column, since it needs to control the ratio.
Agreed about the fault code for suspension and steering, just surprised not to see it as an error on DIS.
Old 06-01-2012, 03:51 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Agreed about the fault code for suspension and steering, just surprised not to see it as an error on DIS.
MMI errors never show up in the DIS. If you have an issue with a module on the CAN bus system, maybe, but on the MMI MOST bus, they only come up when interrogated with VAGCOM or a VAS scanner. Since your coding a non existing system into the MMI system, there is nothing for the DIS to show. The MMI just says there is no communication with a system it was coded to communicate with and shows the option in the MMI screen menu. If you coded the 19 module (Gateway) to say a system is installed that's not there, then you will get a possible error in the DIS.

Last edited by ezveedub; 06-01-2012 at 03:53 PM.

Quick Reply: How to Enable Audi Individual Drive Select - VCDS