S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

how good is the auto tranny in s4?

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2014, 06:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how good is the auto tranny in s4?

does it make sense to order car with it other than slight increase in fuel economy. My concerns are possible problems in future. I keep cars for 10-14 years.
Old 08-22-2014, 06:25 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The B8 S4 does not come withan automatic transmission. It has a dual clutch automated manual transmission that pretty much out performs a tiptronic automatic that is offered in other Audis. Some owners have had problems with them. Others not. BTW, some of us with the 6mT have had clutch issues as well.
Old 08-22-2014, 06:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default but problems with MT cars aren't they in cars

Originally Posted by DrGP
The B8 S4 does not come withan automatic transmission. It has a dual clutch automated manual transmission that pretty much out performs a tiptronic automatic that is offered in other Audis. Some owners have had problems with them. Others not. BTW, some of us with the 6mT have had clutch issues as well.
where engine programing has been modified?
Old 08-22-2014, 08:48 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by jyges
where engine programing has been modified?
On stock ECUs. In fact Audi has lowered the redline line the DSG units. 2010/2011 you could get a DSG car to shift at 6800 rpms. I believe that starting with 2013 models, you no longer can get the car to shift any higher than 6500 rpms no matter what you do. 6mt can be shifted at 7200 rpms. I believe some tunes will raise the rpm limit on the DSG above 6500 rpms.
Old 08-22-2014, 09:20 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

i am happy with my decision go with the DCT. I've daily driven manuals for as long as i've had cars and wanted something different. The DCT for me it just as fun as the stick and 3 pedals that I had before and definitely easier when traffic gets ****ty.
Old 08-22-2014, 05:06 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by GuiltySparc
i am happy with my decision go with the DCT. I've daily driven manuals for as long as i've had cars and wanted something different. The DCT for me it just as fun as the stick and 3 pedals that I had before and definitely easier when traffic gets ****ty.
You do realize that DCT is a BMW name for its Dual clutch Transmission. Audi calls it a DSG.
Old 08-23-2014, 07:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default What about reliability between the two

Other than the recall years ago to change fluid is dual clutch unit , how have the two been? I am concerned after warranty expires cost to rebuild/ replace dual clutch unit. In MT usually only problem is a clutch after 100 K miles.
Old 08-25-2014, 10:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DrGP
You do realize that DCT is a BMW name for its Dual clutch Transmission. Audi calls it a DSG.
Lol. Didn't they change it to S-Tronic? I hate that name by the way and like the original DSG! IIRC VW refers to it as DSG still. Now having said that, I think I like Porsche's version "Porsche Doppel Kupplungen(PDK). It just has that Germanic tone to it It's also perhaps the best dual clutch tranny available.
Old 08-26-2014, 01:36 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Test drive a PDK Porsche. Then test drive a DSG Audi. See if you still like DSG after, given it's a few generations behind the new Porsche tranny.

You really think you're going to own this car in the year 2030?
Old 08-29-2014, 09:15 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 279 Likes on 213 Posts

Originally Posted by jyges
does it make sense to order car with it other than slight increase in fuel economy. My concerns are possible problems in future. I keep cars for 10-14 years.
I'm very happy with mine. It's fun to drive. If you have ADS it can be smooth and comfortable all the way up to sharp and snappy. S mode is nearly telepathic about being in the right gear. The only drawback is that it's a tad slow to change through a bunch of gears since it can't really skip over them. You also get hill assist and launch control.

Quick Reply: how good is the auto tranny in s4?