Go Back   AudiWorld Forums > Audi Models > Audi S4 / RS4 > S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?


S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-present

For how long do you plan to keep your car?

Reply
 
 
 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-07-2014, 08:50 PM   #1
AudiWorld Member
Account #: 71393
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 120
Default For how long do you plan to keep your car?

I own a 2010 with 25 000 miles. I never had any problem with it but warranty is now expired. I like my car but I do not want to keep it until I start having problems.

For how long do you expect these cars to last before becoming troublesome?

For how long do you plan to keep your car?
Denis54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 10:39 PM   #2
AudiWorld Member
Account #: 258160
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 111
Default

I tend to keep my cars a while....in fact this is the first new car I've purchased in a long time. So long as the car is "worth" keeping, I just keep fixing. Repairs are usually still cheaper than getting a new car, so I just keep fixing/upgrading.....

BTW, I already over 30k miles on my 2013.
__________________
2013 S4 (6MT): Revo Technik Stage 1 Software
safetywork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 01:26 AM   #3
AudiWorld Member
Account #: 244011
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 335
Default

A few months ago I extended the warranty to Feb. 2019 / 125K miles. I have 27.5K now on my 2013 (which I got in August 2012) so I'd say another 4-5 years. I could sell it private party and transfer the warranty but don't have plans to do so unless something else catches my eye in 2017-2018.
RickFLS4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 03:43 AM   #4
Audiworld Junior Member
Account #: 267845
 
Dilettanteque's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 79
Default

I had my first A4 for 8 years and second A4 for 9 years. The 2 week old S4 could easily be a long termer too. My second A4 was pretty bullet proof and very reliable....pretty much no surprises.

My fully optioned S4 at list price in Australia was about $144k. That is with an exchange rate where an Australian dollar buys 93c US. That is just shy of 2.5 times median wages for a full time employee in Australia, before tax (and upper tax rate is about 50%). So that kind of changes the perspective on affordability and depreciation (a very big chunk of change is left lying on that road just outside the dealership).

So, option it big, love it to death, and if i just fall in love with an RS6 I will have to get two jobs.
__________________
2014 (B8.5) S4 Avant, Sepang Blue, Sports Diff, 7 S-tronic, 19" Rotor Titanium look, Adaptive Dampers, Dynamic Steering, B&O, Carbon Atlas inlays, Black Nappa, Black Headlining


Departed

2005 (B7) A4 2.0TFSI Quattro S-Line Sedan Graphite 6MT

1997 (B5) A4 1.8 Sedan 5MT - some silver colour
Dilettanteque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 04:32 AM   #5
AudiWorld Member
Account #: 217470
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 110
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis54 View Post
I own a 2010 with 25 000 miles. I never had any problem with it but warranty is now expired. I like my car but I do not want to keep it until I start having problems.

For how long do you expect these cars to last before becoming troublesome?

For how long do you plan to keep your car?
I tend to keep my cars a long time. I kept my 2002 Acura RSX-S (130,000) until I got my 2013 S4 in (2012). I'm only slightly concerned about long-term quality on this car, but I'll really consider the smaller Tesla when it comes out in 2017-2018 or so. If you love the car (as most of us do) I don't see any reason not to keep it.
__________________
2013 Audi S4
Premium Plus, 6-speed
Ibis White, Black/Magma Nappa, MMI
27,000 miles

2005 Honda S2000
Suzuka Blue Metallic
47,500 miles

2008 Suzuki GSX-R 750
Blue/White
11,000 miles
slasher016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 05:19 AM   #6
AudiWorld Newcomer
Account #: 282204
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 7
Default

I am ordering a 2015 today. I plan to keep this car for at least 8 years. I only put about 8-9k per year on a car so it will be relatively low mileage at 8 years.
Reddington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 07:16 AM   #7
Audiworld Junior Member
Account #: 282356
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 12
Default

I ask myself this question every day. I currently own a 2010 C300 4matic with low mileage and am thinking of a change. My car is 4.5 years old right now. I'm thinking with the next 6-12 months, it may be time to change. The S4 is something I'm considering as my next car.
FrozenCommunist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 08:10 AM   #8
AudiWorld Super User
Account #: 92030
 
Timmay's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 19,644
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozenCommunist View Post
I ask myself this question every day. I currently own a 2010 C300 4matic with low mileage and am thinking of a change. My car is 4.5 years old right now. I'm thinking with the next 6-12 months, it may be time to change. The S4 is something I'm considering as my next car.
Go for it! You will not regret it. Night and day compared to your C300.
__________________
2014 Audi S4 P+
Glacier White Metallic / Black Nappa
3M CS 35% tint
S-Tronic / Sport Diff
Black Optic package / Carbon Atlas
MMI Nav+ / B&O
Audi Side Assist
____________________
2006 A3 2.0T DSG
Metallic Silver/Black ~
************************
Retired Cars:
2009 Infiniti G37S
2006 Porsche Cayman S 6MT
2006 Audi S4(B7) 6MT
2002 BMW M3(e46) 6MT
Timmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 08:41 AM   #9
Audiworld Junior Member
Account #: 282356
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 12
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmay View Post
Go for it! You will not regret it. Night and day compared to your C300.
Prior to the C300, I had a 2003 Audi A4. I was very happy with it. Especially after I Revo'd it. My only hesitation is that a new generation model is just around the corner. Do I wait for that, or get the 2015 or 2014 at a discounted price.

I do like the looks of the B8 but what if the B9 is so much better?
FrozenCommunist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 10:09 AM   #10
AudiWorld Member
Account #: 226832
 
brooklyn86's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 114
Default

I will try to keep it forever! haha As in 10+ years.

If I have something I like (similar to my sportbike), I will hold on to it for as long as I can.

Averaging about 12k a year and don't see why this car can't make it to 200k+ miles. That way, it'll give me plenty of opportunities to do mods throughout its life to keep it feeling new to me
__________________
2012 S4 | Prestige | 6MT | Phantom Black | Ti Pkg | Black Silk Nappa | Sport Diff | SS Inlays | Xpel Ultimate Clear Bra | Opti-Coat | Eurocode STS | Alu Kreuz | USS Sway Bars & Endlinks | AWE Exhaust w/ Resonated Downpipes | 034 Motorsport Transmission Mount Insert | Apikol Rear Diff Mount | TRUFit Air Intake System | APR Stage 2+|
Future Mods: TBD...
brooklyn86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 10:37 AM   #11
AudiWorld Super User
Account #: 92030
 
Timmay's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 19,644
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozenCommunist View Post
Prior to the C300, I had a 2003 Audi A4. I was very happy with it. Especially after I Revo'd it. My only hesitation is that a new generation model is just around the corner. Do I wait for that, or get the 2015 or 2014 at a discounted price.

I do like the looks of the B8 but what if the B9 is so much better?
Quick answer to that is lease
If you have a good dealer, it's not difficult to swap out for a newer car when it becomes available. Often time with Audi cars, especially newer generation ones, the pay off price to outright purchase the car is less than what the car is actually worth on the market. My dealer even showed me some examples when we were trying to locate a car for me. I was really surprised at the gap. You could even turn around and sell the car and make a profit if you really wanted to.

Also, it may depend on whether you're going to get another A4 or an S4. It will probably be a while longer before a B9 S4 hits the street. Just food for thought. I actually had the same dilemma when considering what car to buy and I just pulled the trigger on the B8 S4 because I loved the looks and how it drove. Not going to worry about the next generation B9 platform.
__________________
2014 Audi S4 P+
Glacier White Metallic / Black Nappa
3M CS 35% tint
S-Tronic / Sport Diff
Black Optic package / Carbon Atlas
MMI Nav+ / B&O
Audi Side Assist
____________________
2006 A3 2.0T DSG
Metallic Silver/Black ~
************************
Retired Cars:
2009 Infiniti G37S
2006 Porsche Cayman S 6MT
2006 Audi S4(B7) 6MT
2002 BMW M3(e46) 6MT

Last edited by Timmay; 05-08-2014 at 10:44 AM.
Timmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 11:11 AM   #12
Audiworld Junior Member
Account #: 156761
 
Pworld's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 93
Default

i dont like owning these cars out of warranty or out of date. (i usually want or like the newest version). so i dont keep them past 3 years these days.
__________________
Current: 2012 S4 P+ RED. Alcantara. B+O. Nav. Adv Key. Sport Diff. Carb Inlays. 20" VMR/Injen/Falken equipped ....blah blah blah.
Gone: B7 A4
Pworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 11:37 AM   #13
AudiWorld Senior Member
Account #: 45111
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 858
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmay View Post
I actually had the same dilemma when considering what car to buy and I just pulled the trigger on the B8 S4 because I loved the looks and how it drove. Not going to worry about the next generation B9 platform.
+1

I finally pulled the trigger and ordered a 2014 S4 a few weeks ago. I've been on the fence since 2012 on whether I should let go of my B7 S4 for a B8 S4, but the fact that the Rear Power Sunshade is not available in the 2015s was what pushed me over the edge. Plus, I would have to wait 3 years (assuming the B9 A4 actually gets released next year, and the B9 S4 follows a year later, and allow for 1 year to get first year gremlins out) to get a B9 S4, and I couldn't wait that long.
__________________
RedlumF
RedlumF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 01:44 PM   #14
AudiWorld Member
Account #: 272926
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 302
Default

I plan to keep the S4 at least until the warranty runs out...unless I have alot of trips to the dealer for service. I will get rid of it sooner if I do.

whether I keep the car longer depends on whether you can still get a manual transmission in a new replacement...or how good is the DCT at the time. Don't even know if my and wife's health will be good enough to drive a manual in 4 years.
so far, my wife will not drive anything but a manual.

An S5 convertible could be tempting if it's a hard top conv.

Best

Last edited by PhilNotHill; 05-08-2014 at 01:47 PM.
PhilNotHill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 03:14 PM   #15
AudiWorld Member
Account #: 190014
 
LYKUNO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Ohio
Posts: 219
Default

I keep a car at least 10 years or 100K miles. That's why i got a Sirius lifetime subscription on it (the wife wanted that!). Only reason I wouldn't keep it at least 10 years or 100K miles would be if it was in a bad accident/wrecked (unless I win the lottery that is - then it's a new P car!).
__________________
2011 S4 | Prestige | Jet Blue | Black/Silver Silk Nappa | S-Tronic | Drive Select | Side Assist | Titanium | Carbon Fiber Inlays | BBS RGRs (winter) and HRE R40s (summer)
LYKUNO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 07:21 AM   #16
AudiWorld Member
Account #: 165238
 
iflywoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 429
Default

im thinking forever ;-), or till I have to put more money in repairs than I should
__________________
As you walk away from your car after you park, do you look back? if you dont you got the wrong car.....

"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough."
-Mario Andretti
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
-Einstein
iflywoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 10:53 AM   #17
AudiWorld Member
Account #: 196348
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 123
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmay View Post
Quick answer to that is lease
If you have a good dealer, it's not difficult to swap out for a newer car when it becomes available. Often time with Audi cars, especially newer generation ones, the pay off price to outright purchase the car is less than what the car is actually worth on the market. My dealer even showed me some examples when we were trying to locate a car for me. I was really surprised at the gap. You could even turn around and sell the car and make a profit if you really wanted to.

Also, it may depend on whether you're going to get another A4 or an S4. It will probably be a while longer before a B9 S4 hits the street. Just food for thought. I actually had the same dilemma when considering what car to buy and I just pulled the trigger on the B8 S4 because I loved the looks and how it drove. Not going to worry about the next generation B9 platform.
This is true. I lease my cars and I had a 2011 Q5 that I was leasing and I ended up getting $6500 back in equity when the lease was up. The residual was a lot lower than what it was worth so I made out and was able to put some of that towards my S4. If you tire of cars quickly leasing (at least Audis) is not a bad idea.
sjuhawks19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 11:01 AM   #18
AudiWorld Member
Account #: 244011
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 335
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjuhawks19 View Post
This is true. I lease my cars and I had a 2011 Q5 that I was leasing and I ended up getting $6500 back in equity when the lease was up. The residual was a lot lower than what it was worth so I made out and was able to put some of that towards my S4. If you tire of cars quickly leasing (at least Audis) is not a bad idea.
Agreed except that anyone who leases is paying for the lower residual with higher monthly payments than competing brands due to the lower residual. Audi effectively transfers the risk of residual value to the lessee by collecting more than enough "rent" during the lease term and providing opportunity for equity at the end of the lease.

I'm not being critical as I also lease (tax reasons / self employed), but generally speaking the lower residual is not attractive to most who lease to minimize monthly payments. We may have equity in the lease at end of term or be able to trade in early but we are paying for it monthly.
RickFLS4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 12:13 PM   #19
AudiWorld Super User
Account #: 92030
 
Timmay's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 19,644
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickFLS4 View Post
Agreed except that anyone who leases is paying for the lower residual with higher monthly payments than competing brands due to the lower residual. Audi effectively transfers the risk of residual value to the lessee by collecting more than enough "rent" during the lease term and providing opportunity for equity at the end of the lease.

I'm not being critical as I also lease (tax reasons / self employed), but generally speaking the lower residual is not attractive to most who lease to minimize monthly payments. We may have equity in the lease at end of term or be able to trade in early but we are paying for it monthly.
Not sure I'm understanding your comment on residuals on Audis. As far as I understand, the residual on the S4 is pretty high, not low. In other words, the car is worth a fairly large amount of money after say 36 months, especially when comparing to BMW or MB. I may just not be thinking clearly and missing the point, lol.
__________________
2014 Audi S4 P+
Glacier White Metallic / Black Nappa
3M CS 35% tint
S-Tronic / Sport Diff
Black Optic package / Carbon Atlas
MMI Nav+ / B&O
Audi Side Assist
____________________
2006 A3 2.0T DSG
Metallic Silver/Black ~
************************
Retired Cars:
2009 Infiniti G37S
2006 Porsche Cayman S 6MT
2006 Audi S4(B7) 6MT
2002 BMW M3(e46) 6MT
Timmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 01:15 PM   #20
AudiWorld Member
Account #: 244011
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 335
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmay View Post
Not sure I'm understanding your comment on residuals on Audis. As far as I understand, the residual on the S4 is pretty high, not low. In other words, the car is worth a fairly large amount of money after say 36 months, especially when comparing to BMW or MB. I may just not be thinking clearly and missing the point, lol.
The actual residual value may be high but the residual value baked into the Audi monthly lease payment is low. That's how you end up with such a high lease payment (and equity at the end of the lease). Residuals as a % of MSRP (as used in the lease payment) are higher for BMW's, Lexus, Infiniti, etc. which helps lower their lease prices. However, there is no equity in them at lease end and it is harder to trade them in early because they aren't worth more than the payoff.
RickFLS4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 01:15 PM
AudiWorld
Audi R8




Paid Advertisement
 
 
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



Join AudiWorld

All times are GMT -8. The time now is 10:19 PM.


Copyright 2014 AudiWorld.com Audi Enthusiast Community