S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

How much oil does your S4 use?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2013, 09:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I beat the **** outta mine right out of the gate! Zero Oil Consumption issues...i'm at 39K miles.... P E R I O D!!!! Engine Braking Method.
Old 10-30-2013, 09:25 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 279 Likes on 213 Posts

Originally Posted by DrGP
I'll put the onus on you.
No, I'm not letting you off that easily. My suggestion is to follow the manufacturer suggested break in, which not coincidentally is basically the same as suggested by every auto manufacturer. Therefore this is the "normal" accepted behavior. You don't have to prove why normal is better to convince people to be normal. They do it naturally. Now if I said that walking on your hands wearing clown makeup was better for your circulation and cleanly ignored issues like wear on your wrists or pressure on your eyeballs, that would be an example of claiming a behavior, which is clearly abnormal, is better based on one aspect of a complex system and the "normal" group would indeed require significant evidence to convince them to change their ways.

You claimed you had evidence. Present it.

Last edited by Bobby Kinstle; 10-30-2013 at 09:28 AM.
Old 10-30-2013, 09:53 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Bobby Kinstle
No, I'm not letting you off that easily. My suggestion is to follow the manufacturer suggested break in, which not coincidentally is basically the same as suggested by every auto manufacturer. Therefore this is the "normal" accepted behavior. You don't have to prove why normal is better to convince people to be normal. They do it naturally. Now if I said that walking on your hands wearing clown makeup was better for your circulation and cleanly ignored issues like wear on your wrists or pressure on your eyeballs, that would be an example of claiming a behavior, which is clearly abnormal, is better based on one aspect of a complex system and the "normal" group would indeed require significant evidence to convince them to change their ways.

You claimed you had evidence. Present it.
For as long as you and I have been on theses forums, Do you recall any posts about someone complaining about oil consumption issues and they are sorry that they used a more agressive break in thechnique? I haven't. Have you seen any post from owners who used a more agessive technique reporting little or no oil consuption. I have. I've seen owners using the easy technique also reporting little or no oil consumption as well. Have you seen owners that did the Easy break in complaining of oil consumption issues. I've seen quite a few. I really am not intersted in getting into a pissing contest with you. If you want to do the easy technique or advocte it, be my guest. I don't have to prove anything. The technique works and those that have tried it are happy. Hopefully we are dealing with intelligent adults who will all be able to to makeup their own minds as to which technique they are comfortable with.
Old 10-30-2013, 03:22 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For as long as you and I have been on theses forums, Do you recall any posts about someone complaining about oil consumption issues and they are sorry that they used a more agressive break in thechnique? I haven't. Have you seen any post from owners who used a more agessive technique reporting little or no oil consuption. I have. I've seen owners using the easy technique also reporting little or no oil consumption as well. Have you seen owners that did the Easy break in complaining of oil consumption issues. I've seen quite a few. I really am not intersted in getting into a pissing contest with you. If you want to do the easy technique or advocte it, be my guest. I don't have to prove anything. The technique works and those that have tried it are happy. Hopefully we are dealing with intelligent adults who will all be able to to makeup their own minds as to which technique they are comfortable with.
Sorry Doc, these are opinions, not facts or evidence as you had initially suggested. Not saying one method is better than another, but just that as of to date, I too am unaware of an actual "proven" method when it comes to breaking in a new engine.
Old 10-31-2013, 09:14 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Tifosi
Sorry Doc, these are opinions, not facts or evidence as you had initially suggested. Not saying one method is better than another, but just that as of to date, I too am unaware of an actual "proven" method when it comes to breaking in a new engine.
Have you gone onto the Motoman site? They provide some pretty convincing evidence. Yes they are using motorcycles not car engines. But the principles are the same for any internal combustion engine. And you are right,they are opinions. But opinions based on empircal evidence.
Old 10-31-2013, 12:37 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you gone onto the Motoman site? They provide some pretty convincing evidence. Yes they are using motorcycles not car engines. But the principles are the same for any internal combustion engine. And you are right,they are opinions. But opinions based on empircal evidence.
I have and all I see there are still opinions and not a single actual scientific study that was conducted in a scientific manner. In fact, I will like to know how many of the owners here that followed Motoman's method actually had your factory-filled oil changed out to Dino oil at the dealership before taking delivery of the car, because that's vital according to Motoman.

3 more words on break- in:
NO SYNTHETIC OIL !!

Use Valvoline, Halvoline, or similar 10 w 40 Petroleum Car Oil for at least
2 full days of hard racing or 1,500 miles of street riding / driving.
After that use your favorite brand of oil.

And keep in mind, the critical break-in period is the first 20 miles. And according to Motoman, you are suppose to change the oil and filter after the first 20 miles following his method.

I will like to know how many of the empirical evidence you suggest to have had followed this exact method of breaking in a new engine within the first 20 miles of its life.
Old 11-11-2016, 11:31 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have 14K on a 2014 S4 and just received a low-oil (add a quart) message.
I bought the car 5 months ago with 12K miles and its been to dealer for check-up service.
If the car is consuming oil now, is there any way at this point to know if it's from a weak break-in or otherwise? Will it continue to do so? I never smell it burning nor see any evidence of drippings...
Old 11-12-2016, 03:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

2014 S4 with 27k miles. No oil added between regular service. No reason to.
Old 11-13-2016, 06:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

2011 S4, have to put in a liter every 8,000km or so. Typically now just do a full oil change since the recommended 15,000km oil change interval is simply ridiculous. According to the dealership, "it's normal" to go through a liter of oil in 7 or 8,000km (not miles). I bought the car when it was just shy of a year old though so not sure how it was broken in.
Old 11-15-2016, 06:00 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

2011 with 65k, usually only a 1/2 to 3/4 quart between changes.