S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Fuel Refilling Problem- 2011 S4

Old 07-13-2012, 07:32 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel Refilling Problem- 2011 S4

Hi everyone- I've recently purchased a 2011 S4 6MT and had troubles filling up gas ever since I bought it in March of this year. The temperatures then were chilly and now in summer the same thing is happening. When I go to refill, the auto fuel shut off thing kicks in after a trickle of gas goes in the tank and I have to sit there and pump for 5-10 mins either holding the nozzle really lightly or just pressing it a hundred times. This has happened at gas stations all over the city and in another province, so it must be something on the car as I've never had this problem before. I've called audi but they haven't returned me call yet. Any help here is MUCH appreciated. Thanks!
Old 07-13-2012, 08:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by corobetz
Hi everyone- I've recently purchased a 2011 S4 6MT and had troubles filling up gas ever since I bought it in March of this year. The temperatures then were chilly and now in summer the same thing is happening. When I go to refill, the auto fuel shut off thing kicks in after a trickle of gas goes in the tank and I have to sit there and pump for 5-10 mins either holding the nozzle really lightly or just pressing it a hundred times. This has happened at gas stations all over the city and in another province, so it must be something on the car as I've never had this problem before. I've called audi but they haven't returned me call yet. Any help here is MUCH appreciated. Thanks!
I've had that happen before in a few different vehicles, it's a type of vacuum lock that happens. Try fueling with "just the tip " of the nozzle in the tank. If that doesn't work, let your engine run and try to keep the tank open with something. Hopefully it will pop the air lock.
Old 07-13-2012, 08:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If that doesn't work you probably have a clogged charcoal canister, or venting mechanism. I'm not sure what the S4 uses. Your gas tank isn't venting the air properly so you will have a permanent air lock which makes the pump have enough back pressure to think that it's full. I have no idea what that costs to fix, but since you have a 2011 I would go to the dealership and explain the problem. I can't imagine it would take long to fix.
Old 07-13-2012, 09:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

I can almost guarantee its how far you're pushing the nozzle into the tank.

Put the nozzle in like you would normally and press the lever down all the way, if it starts and stops pull the nozzle out about an inch or so and try it again. If it happens again pull it out another inch and try again. If it still doesn't work you may be able to try it one more time (3 inches out) but all pumps are different so you would have to be the judge. Now if it still doesn't work (which I highly doubt) you have a mechanical problem that needs to be investigated by your Audi dealer.

Good Luck!
Old 07-13-2012, 09:39 AM
riu
AudiWorld Member

I had the same issue the other day but the next time i went had no issue. It was weird and I feared having to go to the dealer.
Old 07-13-2012, 10:07 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Fuel Refilling Problem- 2011 S4

I often have the same issue, though only at some gas stations. I found that putting the nozzle in (all the way) upside down (so the hose points up) cured the problem

First time, I was worried it would mean the auto shutoff wouldn't work but it was fine, clicked off when the tank was full.

By pulling it part way out, does it defeat the auto-shutoff?

Originally Posted by 81bear
I can almost guarantee its how far you're pushing the nozzle into the tank.

Put the nozzle in like you would normally and press the lever down all the way, if it starts and stops pull the nozzle out about an inch or so and try it again. If it happens again pull it out another inch and try again. If it still doesn't work you may be able to try it one more time (3 inches out) but all pumps are different so you would have to be the judge. Now if it still doesn't work (which I highly doubt) you have a mechanical problem that needs to be investigated by your Audi dealer.

Good Luck!
Old 07-13-2012, 10:42 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

So pull out further and just use the tip then? Good advice.

Thanks everyone for the replies. It is super intermittent and I can understand why playing around with direction and depth of nozzle might help. Hopefully it doesn't require a trip to the dealer as that is just a waste of time trying to get them to replicate the problem.
Old 07-13-2012, 10:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by corobetz
This only happens to a performance car.
Old 07-13-2012, 10:58 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Yah only a car like this can play hard to get. You really have to want it.
Old 07-13-2012, 05:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

Did you buy used or brand new? I suspect like StasisS4 that the charcoal canister might be clogged, which can happen if the gas tank is "topped off" often.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Fuel Refilling Problem- 2011 S4