S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

I want to purchase a new S4. Please help with dealer questions.

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2014, 02:52 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I want to purchase a new S4. Please help with dealer questions.

These are the prices he is giving me:

Market Value $51,600 - $1000 rebate = $50,600.

36 months 7,500 miles:

0 down payment = $843 monthly for 36 months.
6000 down payment = $664 monthly for 36 months.

I am based off Texas and want to know what type of deals you guys got. I know I am being ripped off with these deals. Please let me know what questions I should ask him like money factor etc...

The reason I know I am getting ripped off is because even BMW gave me a better deal. Bought my wife a 2014 BMW 335i with a good amount of options. MSRP $49500. I paid $6k down and pay $430 monthly.

Please help me lease an audi for a good price.
Old 10-30-2014, 04:34 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

BMWs will always lease at a SIGNIFICANTLY lower rate because the residual is set artificially higher, If your objective is to get the lowest lease payment forget about the Audi. HOWEVER, the lease particulars that the Audi dealer gave you really suck. Also it is not a financially sound practice to put down a huge chunk of cash on a lease. As a reference, I traded my 2010 LEASED S4(which had $6k of equity) on a 2014 S4 in August 2013 before the lease end. I gave them no money. 36 months, 10k miles a yr. Audi paid the first lease payment. MSRP on car was $57k. My lease payment was $667/month which included a 9% PA lease tax. Some may do better than that. Big difference is at lease end , the Audi generally will have significant equity, The Bmw will not be worth the residual. So you give the BMW back to BMWFS and you buy or trade in the S4 before lease end. 2 companies with 2 different philosophies.
Old 10-30-2014, 04:42 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

Josh, welcome aboard!

Yeah, don't try to lease an expense Audi. It's not a good deal. The other German marques have much better offerings. It's been like that for quite a while.
Old 10-30-2014, 07:48 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

So leasing an equal MSRP BMW will always be about $150 monthly cheaper?

I guess I am getting a 435i... I really did want to try an Audi S4 or S5
Old 10-31-2014, 03:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Why don't you actually compare rates

Originally Posted by joshcodes
So leasing an equal MSRP BMW will always be about $150 monthly cheaper?

I guess I am getting a 435i... I really did want to try an Audi S4 or S5
I do not know if $150 figure is correct. Also remember BMW includes service including wear items for 4 years & 50 k mileage . But after driving both s4 & 435 i there was no comparison. The BMW just does not have it. This coming from a guy that has owed a BMW 528 5sp mt car for 15 years.
Old 10-31-2014, 11:10 AM
Banned

If you are leasing. it comes down to this. Get the BMW and pay less on a monthly payment. At lease end you give it back. Or get the S4 and drive a better car for 3 yrs. You will pay more on a monthly payment but you can recoup that at lease end by buying at below market value of the car or trading it in. Don't necessarily need to trade in on another Audi. I would suggest you check out another Audi dealer for lease price. You can do so over the phone. The quote you were given can easily be beat. Should be quite a few Audi dealer in TX

Last edited by DrGP; 10-31-2014 at 11:13 AM.
Old 10-31-2014, 03:19 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by DrGP
If you are leasing. it comes down to this. Get the BMW and pay less on a monthly payment. At lease end you give it back. Or get the S4 and drive a better car for 3 yrs. You will pay more on a monthly payment but you can recoup that at lease end by buying at below market value of the car or trading it in. Don't necessarily need to trade in on another Audi. I would suggest you check out another Audi dealer for lease price. You can do so over the phone. The quote you were given can easily be beat. Should be quite a few Audi dealer in TX
So could you trade the car at any time during the lease for say, a Ford (not saying you should!)? Would the equity be the same if traded at Audi? Would this essentially be like selling to CarMax...the other dealer would pay the rest of the lease and apply any equity into the trade?
Old 11-01-2014, 11:13 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by AudiS4SD
So could you trade the car at any time during the lease for say, a Ford (not saying you should!)? Would the equity be the same if traded at Audi? Would this essentially be like selling to CarMax...the other dealer would pay the rest of the lease and apply any equity into the trade?
You can trade in or buy your leased car at any time during the term of the lease. HOWEVER, in many cases, especially with BMWs, the trade in value is less than the payoff of the lease so you are generally underwater. This is because many manufacturers subsidize the leases to make the lease payments lower to sell more cars. BMW is big on this practice. So if you want to trade in your lease early, you usually have to put up extra cash to get out of the lease. Since Audi actually deflates the residual, when you get somewhere near the middle of the lease, you can get out since at that time the payoff is equal to the wholesale value of the car.At that point any dealer will take the car as a trade and figure he is buying a car at wholesale price and can sell it at a profit or take it to auction and break even. I leased a 2014 s4 in July of 2014. Due to medical issues ,I wanted to terminate my lease. I found a used 2011 S4 in great condition at $32k. Purchased that car. My payoff for the2104 was $49k. Dealer gave me $48k for my car. Had I waited 6 month I may have broken even. When the lease on my 2014 was a few month from the end, I had $6k in equity to put down on an new car. I could have just put that money in my pocket. Same situation occurred when leasing my 2004 S4 as well. it will not happen if you put excessive mileage on your car since that will lower the actual value of your car. Another option is to sell your car to CarMax. Or trade it to a non Audi dealer. Or buy your car and resell it to a private party.

Last edited by DrGP; 11-01-2014 at 11:16 AM.
Old 11-02-2014, 09:44 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you can swing it, considering buying it from the get-go if you plan to keep it 3 years or more. I worked out the numbers, and in current market conditions even if you sold it after 3 years you make out way better than leasing on S4's. Finance rates are extremely low (~1.5% with good credit) and Audi has a lot of rebates. Say you pay $50K for your car, and drive it 22,500 miles, I expect you would sell for $35K+ in 3 years. Add up your total lease payments, you are looking at spending nearly $30K for 3 years and walking away with nothing. That's a difference of $15K.
Old 11-02-2014, 10:37 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by tna3
If you can swing it, considering buying it from the get-go if you plan to keep it 3 years or more. I worked out the numbers, and in current market conditions even if you sold it after 3 years you make out way better than leasing on S4's. Finance rates are extremely low (~1.5% with good credit) and Audi has a lot of rebates. Say you pay $50K for your car, and drive it 22,500 miles, I expect you would sell for $35K+ in 3 years. Add up your total lease payments, you are looking at spending nearly $30K for 3 years and walking away with nothing. That's a difference of $15K.
Actually, if you lease for 3 yrs., you could potentially walk away with $6k in your pocket .( I used it as a down payment) OR you could buy the car at significantly under wholesale price. The beauty of leasing is that you have options. You decide if you want to buy the car at the end of the term not the beginning. If you have problems with the car or just want something else you can still trade in the car and get rid of it. Doesn't make sense to give the car back if it has equity

Quick Reply: I want to purchase a new S4. Please help with dealer questions.