S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

installing front license plate on 2010 S4 ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2014, 11:21 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default installing front license plate on 2010 S4 ?

Sorry, I searched and found a lot of issues about license plates brackets vs. fillers, but not anything relative to the actual installation... I moved to a state that requires front plates, I ordered the $200+ plate bracket from Audi (!!! thieves, i bet it costs $.050 to make!!!) - is it something I can install easily when I receive it or does the whole bumper need to come off ?

Apologies for the "cheap" angle, but having just got raped by the dealer... would my non-license plate "filler" be worth anything to someone in the opposite situation, ergo should I be careful when taking it off? I should have thought of a potential trade before buying the damn thing, actually... I would't mind making a tiny potion of my $200 back. Thanks for any installation info !
Old 09-11-2014, 01:30 PM
Banned

While we can't help you with swapping or selling your old one, we do sell the filler for use with a front plate. They run 170.00 retail and 126.48 your price plus 10-15 dollars shipping. Please keep us in mind if anybody needs these. They are already expensive enough, we'd like to save you as much as possible!
Old 09-11-2014, 01:32 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Default I did it

Ok so I figured it out, it's not hard... But let me advise you NOT to do it.

The licence plate panel is a complete ripoff at $200 + tax at Audi, honestly it'd be a ripoff at $25. It's useless and does not provide anything extra to support the plate any better than the normal "no plate" panel. Let me amend that: unless you are the kind of OCD and must use 4 screws, one at each corner of the plate, in which case yeah, it is a bit longer and you could attach the bottom screws....

Fact is the plate is a blank piece of plastic and you must drill into it, no special quality attachment or anything! So don't waste your money, screw the front plate into the normal panel using 2 top screws, and call it a day ! It won't be uglier once you plate it on, and you will be $200 richer ! Actually spend a small portion of that to buy a shiny Audi sport plate holder for less money, that'll do the trick for beautification !

Still with me for instructions? Why ? ;-)

Anyway if you must, here's how:
Locate 2 screws, one at each corner of the bottom side of the normal panel, a torx 20 screwdriver will unbolt them. See red dot on pic..

Look at the plate once it is out (other pic), you see some plastic clips that hold the upper lip in place (top of picture), just slide fingers thru the grill and gently unclip them. Done.

As you can see, underneath is the dirty location for a Euro plate !!! (dirty pic)

Push the new ripoff plate in place, push down from the top to clip it, screw it back on... 3 minutes job.

I'd post a picture of the finished job, but I'm *so* pissed off I paid $200, I don't want to even take a picture of it to encourage Audi...

Now, anyone want to buy a nice clean undrilled no-license-plate panel with 2 chrome strips in it ? Only $1500 but free shipping ;-)
Attached Images     

Last edited by Deschodt; 09-11-2014 at 01:52 PM.
Old 09-11-2014, 01:32 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Jeff-AudiUSAParts
While we can't help you with swapping or selling your old one, we do sell the filler for use with a front plate. They run 170.00 retail and 126.48 your price plus 10-15 dollars shipping. Please keep us in mind if anybody needs these. They are already expensive enough, we'd like to save you as much as possible!
Wish I'd known yesterday, I will definitely contact you next time !!
Old 09-11-2014, 03:19 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It is great that you posted this info. However, this info has been available on the forums for 4yrs. I know it was new for you. No disrespect intended.
Old 09-12-2014, 09:07 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by DrGP
It is great that you posted this info. However, this info has been available on the forums for 4yrs. I know it was new for you. No disrespect intended.
Fair enough - but I spent one full hour browsing threads and did not find that. Mostly found the opposite... Search is finicky on forums, if you don't use the accepted name for things.... Maybe my redundant post will be easier to find for the next guy who was as clueless as me.
Old 09-23-2014, 07:32 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I just had the same dilemma and decided to go the tow bolt route instead of messing with the front. Just put one of these on yesterday: US Mill Works - Audi Front License Plate Brackets

I don't have my actual plate yet, but I liked the look better.
Old 09-23-2014, 08:35 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Front license plates never look good. Fortunately not needed in PA
Old 09-24-2014, 07:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by DrGP
Front license plates never look good. Fortunately not needed in PA
Agreed. And while it's required in Ohio, I just ignore the law.