S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Audi Noob Intro - S4

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2014, 02:17 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audi Noob Intro - S4

Good day everyone,

I have been watching the forums for some time now and just figured I should make an account. I will give a brief intro about me and what I'm looking to do in the near future.

I'm a bit of a nerd. I started messing with computers when I was about 6. I loved it and have been doing it ever since. I did a few years in the military and am now over in the sand putting money away for the "car of my dreams". Since 15 I have wanted an Audi, and I am in the market to pay cash for one now. I will be waiting until I get home around Feb of next year before I buy. I am a bit young, but just wanted to get this out up front that every nickle and dime towards this car comes from hard work and many 14+ hour days in the sun. I come from poverty, not riches. I know there are a lot of forums that frown on young people getting cars such as these.

After looking at all the options out there, I will either be getting a 2012 or 2013 Prestige, the latter only because of the minor upgrades to the interior (wheel, shifter), MMI, etc. Not looking to do tons of modding at the time, but as I become more familiar with the car and take it out a few times, I may become a bit more interested in some aftermarket action. I'm sure there will be some cosmetic things that I will do that won't void the warranty.

I guess that's about it for now. I will definitely "be back", snooping and spying on threads to see all the cool things people are doing with their Audi, and I will keep everyone informed as I get closer to decision making time.

I did have one last question, what is with the buying of a new S4 or whatever you have every 2-3 years? Are most of these people leasing, or is there something else going on here? I know most people on here probably have a lot more money than I do, but I am just seeing all these posts about the new 2015 S4 and how people are going to get it, and it seems they already have a 2012 or something similar, definitely B8 and above. I just haven't seen enough changes that (In my mind) would warrant paying $20k+ more for a car that isn't really bringing that much to the table in terms of performance upgrades. I am sincerely curious, not wanting to start a flame war or offend anyone. Cheers!
Old 06-08-2014, 08:04 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

First of all, the only thing you get with a Prestige that can't be ordered on a Prem+ is the adaptive headlights. So don't rule out a well equipped Prem+. But there is a significant(to some people) difference between a 2012 and 2013. The front end is different. The DSG cars have a crown dif on 2013 and later models. 2013s have a different instrument panel and have wifi and google maps. Also comes with metal pedals and metal accent buttons and flat bottom steering wheel. I am now on my 3rd B8 S4. For me there is a financial advantage to leasing since I can write off more as a business expense. My 2010 was a lightly equipped Pre+. After driving the car for 40 months, I could not find anything different that I liked better. The residual was so low that instead of giving the car back at lease end, I ordered a new 2014 with more bells and whistles. BUT,had I just given the car back at lease end. I would have just walked away with nothing in my pocket. By trading the car in before lease end, I wound up with $6k which I put toward the new lease. I could have just as well put the cash in my pocket. Or traded the S4 in on a non Audi. Or just purchased my car for $6k under trade in price. Now , I have had some medical issues, that financially, I don't want to keep paying the lease. SO I again traded in my 2014,but was $1000 underwater. But I could not find another car that I liked as much as the B8 S4. So I found a used 2011. Prem + in great shape, previously owned by a girl who used it to commute to college. PURCHASED , that car and reduced my monthly payments by $130/month. In terms of the actual car. The 2010 and 2015 are just about the same car. Its the minor chages that make them different. Plus color selections have changed from year to year.

Last edited by DrGP; 06-08-2014 at 08:06 AM.
Old 06-09-2014, 12:43 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by DrGP
First of all, the only thing you get with a Prestige that can't be ordered on a Prem+ is the adaptive headlights. So don't rule out a well equipped Prem+.
Definitely have not ruled out a Prem+, but the options would have to ALL be there, and it is just a bit more rare to see a Prem+ with everything I want, but I have seen them out there.

But there is a significant(to some people) difference between a 2012 and 2013. The front end is different. The DSG cars have a crown dif on 2013 and later models. 2013s have a different instrument panel and have wifi and google maps. Also comes with metal pedals and metal accent buttons and flat bottom steering wheel.
These are a lot of reasons I want the 2013. I love the steering wheel and shifter, although I know both can be replaced/interchanged and have been looking at threads of people who have done so. The Google maps thing is huge for me, I know it shouldn't be, but it is. I have only owned cars without nav, and I want the VERY best in nav options, as I'm constantly going places I have no clue how to get to. The wifi is also kind of a cool feature, but not required. The front end is honestly something I'm not too sure of. I enjoy both the 2012 and 2013 for different reasons. I actually think I like the 2012 better, as the grill is more aggressive and has a more menacing look.

I am now on my 3rd B8 S4. For me there is a financial advantage to leasing since I can write off more as a business expense. My 2010 was a lightly equipped Pre+. After driving the car for 40 months, I could not find anything different that I liked better. The residual was so low that instead of giving the car back at lease end, I ordered a new 2014 with more bells and whistles. BUT,had I just given the car back at lease end. I would have just walked away with nothing in my pocket. By trading the car in before lease end, I wound up with $6k which I put toward the new lease. I could have just as well put the cash in my pocket. Or traded the S4 in on a non Audi. Or just purchased my car for $6k under trade in price. Now , I have had some medical issues, that financially, I don't want to keep paying the lease. SO I again traded in my 2014,but was $1000 underwater. But I could not find another car that I liked as much as the B8 S4. So I found a used 2011. Prem + in great shape, previously owned by a girl who used it to commute to college. PURCHASED , that car and reduced my monthly payments by $130/month. In terms of the actual car. The 2010 and 2015 are just about the same car. Its the minor chages that make them different. Plus color selections have changed from year to year.
Wow, you have definitely had your fair share of good and bad experiences, but I hope all is well and you are happy with your current car. I will definitely be purchasing this one outright...but may look at trading and making payments on a later model once the real B9 comes out. We will see. Thanks for all the information and helpful input, I appreciate it!
Old 06-09-2014, 08:53 AM
Banned

BTW, my 2014 had the google maps and didn't think it was that great. Didn't renew the Audi Connect when the complimentary free period was over. But many do like it. Problem with finding a used car is that these cars are not plentiful. Plus you cannot just order up a used car to your own personal specs. I am happy with my current car. I like the color combo but swore in the past i would never have another black car. I have already swapped blk CF supercharged badges for red ones. Swapped out the front grille(which had some cosmetic imperfections) for another in perfect shape. put on the DIY IC radiator screen protector. Currently have the filler plate in the shop to be painted Phantom Black, similar to what I had done on my 2010. Just need to do a coulple of vag com changes and the car wil be as I want it. Although RS4 stlye wheels would be great.

Last edited by DrGP; 06-09-2014 at 08:58 AM.
Old 06-09-2014, 10:13 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I can't stand Google maps. It's distracting. I prefer the classic 2D map with north always pointing up. Won't be renewing Audi Connect either.

However the real-time traffic (via Sirius) is awesome.
Old 06-10-2014, 10:20 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

BTW, my 2014 had the google maps and didn't think it was that great. Didn't renew the Audi Connect when the complimentary free period was over. But many do like it. Problem with finding a used car is that these cars are not plentiful. Plus you cannot just order up a used car to your own personal specs. I am happy with my current car. I like the color combo but swore in the past i would never have another black car. I have already swapped blk CF supercharged badges for red ones. Swapped out the front grille(which had some cosmetic imperfections) for another in perfect shape. put on the DIY IC radiator screen protector. Currently have the filler plate in the shop to be painted Phantom Black, similar to what I had done on my 2010. Just need to do a coulple of vag com changes and the car wil be as I want it. Although RS4 stlye wheels would be great.
Why don't you think the google maps was good? Just because of the difficulty of use? Lack of options?? I guess everyone just uses their phones nowadays for nav along with everything else, so what's the point?

I don't think I could do black for the S4...I would probably try to find blue, red, or silver. We'll see though.

I'm also thinking a lot of the reliability issues I'm seeing are because people drive these things like the "sports car" they are. Tuning the heck out of them, etc. I won't ever be going to a track, or a drag strip. I will probably run against some of my buddies cars just for fun every once in a while, but that's it. I want a nice, everyday sedan, that can also go fast if I want to. Not the other way around. I plan on babying the car just like I did my '05 Mazda6 (first car).
Old 06-11-2014, 03:50 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I think if you are diligent in your search -- provided it's for a used S4 -- you'll get a good one. Not all of us are beating these cars into the ground and running them into redline at every light.

As for colors, I love my black S4. I swore after owning a black Merc I would never go back, but nothing looks like a clean black car. Then again, nothing looks like a dirty black car either...

Originally Posted by DecadenceFTW
Why don't you think the google maps was good? Just because of the difficulty of use? Lack of options?? I guess everyone just uses their phones nowadays for nav along with everything else, so what's the point?

I don't think I could do black for the S4...I would probably try to find blue, red, or silver. We'll see though.

I'm also thinking a lot of the reliability issues I'm seeing are because people drive these things like the "sports car" they are. Tuning the heck out of them, etc. I won't ever be going to a track, or a drag strip. I will probably run against some of my buddies cars just for fun every once in a while, but that's it. I want a nice, everyday sedan, that can also go fast if I want to. Not the other way around. I plan on babying the car just like I did my '05 Mazda6 (first car).
Old 06-11-2014, 09:07 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by DecadenceFTW

Its not that i didn't think Google maps was good. It was just not that big of a deal for me. I'm completely happy with the Nav without the google maps. Novelty wore off quickly for me.
Old 06-16-2014, 01:05 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Digital_Bees
I think if you are diligent in your search -- provided it's for a used S4 -- you'll get a good one. Not all of us are beating these cars into the ground and running them into redline at every light.

As for colors, I love my black S4. I swore after owning a black Merc I would never go back, but nothing looks like a clean black car. Then again, nothing looks like a dirty black car either...
Thank you for this. I think I see so much tuning/modding and such on the forums, I get a biased opinion of what and how people treat their S4's. Mine will be bone stock, and will probably remain that way. I find it hard to believe my car would see close to the redline more than once a month, if that. I just want to be able to go fast if need be, and also just really like the car. I have always wanted an Audi, and it just makes sense to me to get the S4 over the A4.
Old 06-16-2014, 01:06 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Its not that i didn't think Google maps was good. It was just not that big of a deal for me. I'm completely happy with the Nav without the google maps. Novelty wore off quickly for me.
Oh ok, that makes sense. Thanks for the clarification.