S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Just bought 2012 S4 - a few questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2016, 08:04 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just bought 2012 S4 - a few questions

Hi - new owner here and new to the forum. Had a few questions I'm hoping to get some help with:

1. It seems that my MMI interface (which has navigation) doesn't allow me to stream bluetooth audio, only for telephone calls. Is there a software update or something I can do to add bluetooth streaming functionality?

2. My front grill unfortunately has 2 holes in it from a license plate (my state does not require this). What are my options for replacement or repair of this?

Thanks!
Attached Images   
Old 04-24-2016, 09:06 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Beautiful car. Congrats

Bluetooth streaming:
VWVortex.com - Bluetooth music streaming

Front grill: many aftermarket grills resembling the RS4 and several discussions about it. Do a search and see what your options are.
Old 04-25-2016, 10:48 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You can buy a Tune2air
Amazon.com: Bovee Viseeo Tune2air WMA1000 - Wireless Bluetooth Music Interface Adaptor for Audi, Mercedes, and Volkswagen with 30 pin iPod connector - Compatible with iPod Touch 4th & 5th Gen , iPad 1 to 4 , iPad Air, iPad Mini, iPhone 4 , 5, 6, 6 plus: Cell Phones & Accessories Amazon.com: Bovee Viseeo Tune2air WMA1000 - Wireless Bluetooth Music Interface Adaptor for Audi, Mercedes, and Volkswagen with 30 pin iPod connector - Compatible with iPod Touch 4th & 5th Gen , iPad 1 to 4 , iPad Air, iPad Mini, iPhone 4 , 5, 6, 6 plus: Cell Phones & Accessories
. which will pug into the adapter into your glove box. However if you have an i phone, there have been some problems with skipping.

The Horizontal filler plate screws off with just a couple of torx screws. Purchase another and instantly the screws holes are gone. https://www.ecstuning.com/Audi-B8_S4.../Filler_Plate/ Alternatively you can buy "bumper plugs" to cover the holes. http://www.bumperplugs.com/index.php...gory&path=1_11
Old 05-02-2016, 02:23 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Thanks for the replies. Got Bluetooth up and running and will look into grill options. A few more questions:

1. I was considering upgrading to a flat bottom wheel but it doesn't seem to be offered by audi for my model. My wheel is this shiny weird leather that I don't love. Also unclear on whether airbags can be reused or not.

2. Steering feels a little loose/ unresponsive. How can this be adjusted?

3. I saw a few posts about a feature that points the passenger side mirror down while in reverse if you have the **** turned to that mirror. Doesn't seem to work for me though.

4. My iPhone contacts via Bluetooth don't seem to register addresses for navigation. Am I missing something?

Thanks!
Old 05-02-2016, 05:22 PM
Banned

1) check this out. It appears to be a great deal. Heads up for those interested in a custom steering wheel

2)Not sure

3) If you have a Prem + car without memory seats, the mirror is not programmed to tilt from the factory. But, it can be activated with a vag com. Had to do that to mine. There are other vag com changes you may want to do as well.

4) I had the same problem with my contacts. Eventually just manually added them. Then one day by magic, they all appeared . Can't tell you why. It might be an iPhone 6 issue. Also tried my son's iPhone 6 and no luck.

Btw, did you get a Tune2air or something else? Any skipping issues?

Last edited by DrGP; 05-02-2016 at 05:25 PM.
Old 05-03-2016, 04:03 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I did get the tune2air. I listen to podcasts, and yes every so often it "hiccups" (not skipping to the next track). I imagine this would be much more annoying with music. It also isn't the best about auto connecting. Sometimes it works fine, if it was the last thing connected to. But if I was listening to my Bluetooth headphones, it loads up but doesn't play. Then I have to press mute and unmute to get it to play (joystick button doesn't do it). I would love to find a more reliable solution. Are there ways to upgrade the mmi system?

Also- mirror tilt in reverse works now.

I think I will definitely order the eBay wheel from that thread. Also looking at aluminum pedals (manual) with dead pedal. Oem on ebs is way pricey but looks nice.

Another random question- check engine light came on and it seemed like the gas cap was loose. Tightened it but light still on 2 days later. Will it eventually clear on its own if that was the problem?

One more while I'm at it- have summer performance tires, and I live in the northeast USA where it's snowy for a few months. Do I need winter tires or will these be ok provided I don't do tons of driving in the snow?
Old 05-03-2016, 05:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by billhoran
I did get the tune2air. I listen to podcasts, and yes every so often it "hiccups" (not skipping to the next track). I imagine this would be much more annoying with music. It also isn't the best about auto connecting. Sometimes it works fine, if it was the last thing connected to. But if I was listening to my Bluetooth headphones, it loads up but doesn't play. Then I have to press mute and unmute to get it to play (joystick button doesn't do it). I would love to find a more reliable solution. Are there ways to upgrade the mmi system?

Also- mirror tilt in reverse works now.

I think I will definitely order the eBay wheel from that thread. Also looking at aluminum pedals (manual) with dead pedal. Oem on ebs is way pricey but looks nice.

Another random question- check engine light came on and it seemed like the gas cap was loose. Tightened it but light still on 2 days later. Will it eventually clear on its own if that was the problem?

One more while I'm at it- have summer performance tires, and I live in the northeast USA where it's snowy for a few months. Do I need winter tires or will these be ok provided I don't do tons of driving in the snow?
Summer tires are not good, in fact dangerous, in winter.

Do some reading. Start with tire rack. Search and find as many discussions and reviews etc as you can digest. until you decide...ultimately you must decide on your requirement on this as others can only tell you about their situation. You will get many opinions . Many will advocate all-seasons as totally sufficient, and for some they are...but...for you, depending on this and that, may be fine nearly always. (Remember that good tires also help steering and stopping...not just acceleration. )

If you want true summer performance tires too, strongly consider buying a second set of wheels with winter ('snow') tires, especially if you plan to keep the car 3 years or more and ...though not many miles... may encounter occasional tough conditions in terrain and traffic etc. It only takes one accident to make the tire investment well worth it.

If that doesn't appeal to you, you should get all seasons (possibly mounted on current wheels or??) ...the summer tires will probably wear fast so maybe you can do this by winter if you drive enough before.

The best solution is a spare winter car ;-)
Old 05-03-2016, 10:08 AM
Banned

I just ordered these on amazon:
Amazon.com: 9 Moon DSG Sport Fuel Brake Footrest Pedal Manual For Audi A4 S4 RS4,A5 S5 RS5 8T,Q5 SQ5 8R auto accessories 4PCS/SET: Automotive Amazon.com: 9 Moon DSG Sport Fuel Brake Footrest Pedal Manual For Audi A4 S4 RS4,A5 S5 RS5 8T,Q5 SQ5 8R auto accessories 4PCS/SET: Automotive
Someone on AZ got them and was happy with them. Good price and good quality.

I live 50 miles north of Phila and 80 miles west of NYC. I have always gotten though winter with A/S tires.(Last 4 s4s) Others will tell you you NEED dedicated winter tires. IMHO, winter tires are better at stopping and turning. But if you live in a metropolitan or suburban area where the streets are plowed expediently, A/s tires will do the job. If you live in the boonies, get a lot of snow, or need to be the first person at the ski resort, you should consider winter tires

Last edited by DrGP; 05-03-2016 at 10:16 AM.