S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Just installed a Chipwerke module in my S4... WOW

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2016, 10:24 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mike B
Just remember that Audi can now detect if you have modified your performance, even though it's not done by re-flashing the ECU. They can tell if the engine has exceeded certain performance parameters that are factory maximums. This will void your warantee.
This is not something the service technician can circumvent. My Audi dealer service guy warned me about this the day I bought the car. As soon as they hook up the factory VAG tool it does a scan and reports the results to Audi (I'm assuming AoA) and he cannot prevent it. Now I know there is unlikely to be an engine failure, and if there is it's Audi's fault, not the chip. But Audi doesn't see it that way. After all, they want to maximize profits so any failure they can blame on someone else is a failure they don't have to fix at their expense.
Just sayin'.
My wife insisted on buying the very expensive 7-year B to B warantee, so it'll be 7 years before hers gets chipped. Thanks for the info on the Chipwerke product. I wonder if they make one for my V8 -- probably not.
Enjoy the extra power.

The TD1 scan doesnt check OEM limits or logs. It does a spec vs actual scan for native code/checsums, etc that should be on the ECU versus what is actually loaded on the ECU. Thats why the literally thousands of folks who have flashed back to OEM stock files havent been TD1. Out of the thousands, there have been a handful who stated they still got TD1 and it is likely becuase their OEM file that was put back on was a different file version.

Now, lets say in the future Audi gets even smarter and does event logging and logs when values go above OEM expected thresholds such as boost and load. Any flashed car even if it had been flashed back to stock obviously would fail this as those event logs would still be showing you had surpassed oem values.

Actually, that is the cool thing about these piggy backs. Keep in mind what it is doing. It is making the car see LESS actual boost in order to keep the bypass closed. The car will erroneously read slightly LOWER boost, mass airflow (load) than a bone stock car. Basically, the sensors will read data like you are driving at altitude. This is much different than with flash tunes that will EXCEED oem boost and load limits and would be a dead giveaway. There really isnt a way for logs to prove a piggy back was being run. They could suspect but its not going to show anything exceeded.

Last edited by bhvrdr; 04-10-2016 at 10:30 AM.
Old 04-11-2016, 05:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by bhvrdr
The TD1 scan doesnt check OEM limits or logs. It does a spec vs actual scan for native code/checsums, etc that should be on the ECU versus what is actually loaded on the ECU. Thats why the literally thousands of folks who have flashed back to OEM stock files havent been TD1. Out of the thousands, there have been a handful who stated they still got TD1 and it is likely becuase their OEM file that was put back on was a different file version.

Now, lets say in the future Audi gets even smarter and does event logging and logs when values go above OEM expected thresholds such as boost and load. Any flashed car even if it had been flashed back to stock obviously would fail this as those event logs would still be showing you had surpassed oem values.

Actually, that is the cool thing about these piggy backs. Keep in mind what it is doing. It is making the car see LESS actual boost in order to keep the bypass closed. The car will erroneously read slightly LOWER boost, mass airflow (load) than a bone stock car. Basically, the sensors will read data like you are driving at altitude. This is much different than with flash tunes that will EXCEED oem boost and load limits and would be a dead giveaway. There really isnt a way for logs to prove a piggy back was being run. They could suspect but its not going to show anything exceeded.
I will say from being a member of another forum, this poster absolutely knows his S^&t when it comes to the Chipwerke piggyback. He has done extensive testing with his and logged hours of results. I would consider him an expert on this subject with regard to chipping the B8-8.5.

B8.5 S4 stock versus APR Stage 1 tune versus Chipwerke piggy back...
Old 04-12-2016, 11:24 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Pictures

Any pictures of your install work? Where is the best place to route the wires and mount one of these?
Old 04-21-2016, 06:12 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had mine installed for four months. No doubt, it did feel stronger than stock. However, I did have a lot of lag with the DSG shift in various gears. Every so often, especially in the very hot and humid Tampa Bay area, it lagged quite a bit between shifts. I tried every setting suggested in the other forum but still had a problem. On a rainy night I started the car, pulled out and gave it half throttle when the EPL light came on and I coughed and sputtered my way back home. I disconnected the unit, and sold it on eBay. If you have luck with the unit, great.
Old 04-21-2016, 06:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by sfg57
I had mine installed for four months. No doubt, it did feel stronger than stock. However, I did have a lot of lag with the DSG shift in various gears. Every so often, especially in the very hot and humid Tampa Bay area, it lagged quite a bit between shifts. I tried every setting suggested in the other forum but still had a problem. On a rainy night I started the car, pulled out and gave it half throttle when the EPL light came on and I coughed and sputtered my way back home. I disconnected the unit, and sold it on eBay. If you have luck with the unit, great.
Seems to be the common drawback to this piggy back. Odd that some have it badly, others not so much or none at all.
Old 04-22-2016, 02:09 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by sfg57
Yeah, thats a bummer. Do you know what setting it was on when you got the EPC light? Thats usually a sign the car went into underboost mode from too aggressive of a setting. Its definitely not as smooth as the factory tune but luckily I never had that much jerkiness. It was very tolerable. Interesting though. Be nice to see if its certain settings or what.

I'm testing a piggy from another company now that also hooks into the cam sensor and allows you to ramp up and down the signal at certain rpms and I'm wondering it this would help with that.
Old 04-25-2016, 04:17 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by bhvrdr
Yeah, thats a bummer. Do you know what setting it was on when you got the EPC light? Thats usually a sign the car went into underboost mode from too aggressive of a setting. Its definitely not as smooth as the factory tune but luckily I never had that much jerkiness. It was very tolerable. Interesting though. Be nice to see if its certain settings or what.

I'm testing a piggy from another company now that also hooks into the cam sensor and allows you to ramp up and down the signal at certain rpms and I'm wondering it this would help with that.
Setting was 3-1. I tried a number of settings with different results. Ultimately, it always reverted back to the hesitation between shifts. At WOT, there was little hesitation. The problem was casual driving or partial WOT to accelerate into traffic. It seemed like the car's computer wasn't sure what to do next. Keep in mind I live in Florida and most of this happened when it was very hot and humid last summer. Regardless, I just couldn't live with it. Glad others have had better luck.
Old 04-25-2016, 06:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Anyone have any issues with Chipwerke on a manual? I'm toying with the idea of trying it out.
Old 04-25-2016, 12:08 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by slasher016
Anyone have any issues with Chipwerke on a manual? I'm toying with the idea of trying it out.
I've been using one for several months now on my 2013 6MT. No issues at all, no CEL, no hesitation, no change in drivability or smoothness. Just more power. I'd recommend it, especially for the 6MT because most (all?) of the issues I've heard of have been related to the DSG transmission and laggy shifts.
Old 04-30-2016, 10:56 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I bought this also directly from the website. I will verify the crazy fast shipping but I live in Monterey, Ca and these ship out of the Los Angeles area. Install was EASY, took three minutes tops. Power gains were immediate and substantially noticeable, ESPECIALLY in the higher RPMs where some boost is bleeded out. I did notice some lag, not necessarily with the shifts but with power delivery. The shifts (I have the DSG) were quick and crisp like they always have been but under WOT, the car would shift gears and start to accelerate and then about a second later, an exhilarating surge of power would follow. Definitely not a linear delivery of power. Maybe this is the "lag" some people are talking about here. My sales receipt lists the settings at 4-1 but I dont see any way to change that or dont know how.

Quick Reply: Just installed a Chipwerke module in my S4... WOW