S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Leaking brake fluid, dealership won't fix

Old 06-11-2014, 08:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leaking brake fluid, dealership won't fix

Just bought a 2014 S4 with 8k miles on it, and I noticed a few days later that there was clean brake fluid around two of the lug nuts, inside of the rim, and some on the rotor. Looked like a slow leak, so I scheduled a visit to the dealership. I didn't see any more fluid come out the next few days, so not sure if it was some hard driving that day or what. So today I took it in to the dealership, and they said they took off the rim and found no leaks at all, and there was nothing to fix. Umm, no? I'm sure the spinning rim got rid of any fluid by now, but I sure as hell don't feel comfortable driving around with randomly leaking brake fluid. I'm willing to entertain any other possibilities, but I seriously doubt clean oily fluid jumped up into my lug nuts.

Any suggestions on what I should do?

Last edited by TTest-D3MON; 06-11-2014 at 09:02 AM.
Old 06-11-2014, 09:03 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Car is still under factory warranty . Is there another Audi dealer nearby?
Old 06-11-2014, 09:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by TTest-D3MON
Just bought a 2014 S4 with 8k miles on it, and I noticed a few days later that there was clean brake fluid around two of the lug nuts, inside of the rim, and some on the rotor. Looked like a slow leak, so I scheduled a visit to the dealership. I didn't see any more fluid come out the next few days, so not sure if it was some hard driving that day or what. So today I took it in to the dealership, and they said they took off the rim and found no leaks at all, and there was nothing to fix. Umm, no? I'm sure the spinning rim got rid of any fluid by now, but I sure as hell don't feel comfortable driving around with randomly leaking brake fluid. I'm willing to entertain any other possibilities, but I seriously doubt clean oily fluid jumped up into my lug nuts.

Any suggestions on what I should do?
Definitely keep track of fluid level in reservoir. If it was leaking from caliper or hose connection, mechanic should have noticed "wet" spots. Hard driving/braking shuld not cause any fluid loss. --Plus you may see some puddling on garage floor after some time.
Old 06-11-2014, 09:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by DrGP
Car is still under factory warranty . Is there another Audi dealer nearby?
Nope. They're the only Audi dealership, but there is two VW dealerships, of which the one I bought it from said that I could take it to them.

Tech said fluid level looked fine, but if it only happens rarely, it'd probably take quite a while to make a big difference. Seeing how the rim looked clean after one drive, I figured it'd be hard to spot any wet spots, but I also assumed a thorough disassembling would reveal something.

I'm going to give them hell when I pick it up, and if something happens I'm suing the crap out of them/or haunting the crap out of them. Depending on how bad it is...
Old 06-11-2014, 11:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Yeah, so Service Manager totally brushed me off. Had no explanation, or plausible occurrence that could have caused it, and no reassurance of a lack of death or dismemberment. So I'm holding them liable if anything happens. Seems insane that they'd just take off the rim, and not give the whole system a thorough look.

Thankfully I talked to my friend that used to be a Service Manager, and he made me feel a little better with assuring me that I'd likely have plenty of warning before they go out. So yay for hopefully not dying.
Old 06-11-2014, 11:59 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You sure it was brake fluid?
Old 06-11-2014, 12:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Nope, and I told them it might not have been brake fluid exactly. Just made the most sense to me given the location. It was a clean, light brown, and oily.
Old 06-11-2014, 12:26 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Were you eating sushi with soy sauce near the spot? That could cause it.

Seriously though, could it have been oil? I know it's a strange location, but if it was changed recently excess could end up in weird places. Good shops usually aren't that sloppy, but I've had boatload of extra oil to clean up after a few oil changes over the years...
Old 06-11-2014, 01:40 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by TTest-D3MON
Nope, and I told them it might not have been brake fluid exactly. Just made the most sense to me given the location. It was a clean, light brown, and oily.
Cat ****! You have been "marked"
(Don't ask how I know)
Old 06-12-2014, 05:04 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by N_Jay
Cat ****! You have been "marked"
(Don't ask how I know)
DING!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Leaking brake fluid, dealership won't fix