S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

New to me S4 :)

Old 11-17-2014, 04:29 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to me S4 :)

Hi everyone,

Just thought I'd introduce myself since I will be posting and bugging you all in the coming months.

I just replaced my aged 2003 A4 with a well-maintained, one prior owner, 2010 S4 and am really excited to have it. I had originally been waiting on a 2015 WRX when I found this; which pleases me because I really wasn't thrilled about going back to a WRX. One of those "I got older" things, I'll admit.

Anyways I got it with a new warranty through the dealer and the existing history on the car appears to be excellent overall. Though I did have one question:

The water pump failed on the previous owner at just over 12,000 miles. I read that the replacement was a redesigned unit. Could anyone confirm that? Should I not have to worry about it from here out?

I had my 03's plastic impeller fail on me at around 60k miles; I'm hoping to avoid that this time; though in theory the warranty should have me covered if this does fail unexpectedly.

Thanks and looking forward to learning from you.
Old 11-17-2014, 06:59 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by AK_Brian
Hi everyone,

Just thought I'd introduce myself since I will be posting and bugging you all in the coming months.

I just replaced my aged 2003 A4 with a well-maintained, one prior owner, 2010 S4 and am really excited to have it. I had originally been waiting on a 2015 WRX when I found this; which pleases me because I really wasn't thrilled about going back to a WRX. One of those "I got older" things, I'll admit.

Anyways I got it with a new warranty through the dealer and the existing history on the car appears to be excellent overall. Though I did have one question:

The water pump failed on the previous owner at just over 12,000 miles. I read that the replacement was a redesigned unit. Could anyone confirm that? Should I not have to worry about it from here out?

I had my 03's plastic impeller fail on me at around 60k miles; I'm hoping to avoid that this time; though in theory the warranty should have me covered if this does fail unexpectedly.

Thanks and looking forward to learning from you.
All 2010 s4s came with a plastic water pump. By now that would have either failed or been replaced with a newer design. Haven't seen many if any WP failures reported in quite a while. What I would be more concerned about is the potential for thermostat failure. In fact owners of 2010 cars with failed WPs received an extended warranty on the engine and drive train. 10 yrs I believe. My 2010 was one of those.
Old 11-18-2014, 08:11 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Wow, good to know. The WP was replaced, so I won't worry about that then. Would it be wise to replace the thermostat preemptively?

Glad to hear Audi extended their warranty, unfortunately the dealership neglected to tell me that. My research before purchase, while indicating the water pump as a failure point, didn't bring up the warranty.

Ah well, not too worried about it; double coverage isn't going to hurt me.
Old 11-18-2014, 02:44 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by AK_Brian
Wow, good to know. The WP was replaced, so I won't worry about that then. Would it be wise to replace the thermostat preemptively?

Glad to hear Audi extended their warranty, unfortunately the dealership neglected to tell me that. My research before purchase, while indicating the water pump as a failure point, didn't bring up the warranty.

Ah well, not too worried about it; double coverage isn't going to hurt me.
It would be wise to replace the thermostat IF you didn't have to take off the supercharger to get at it. Its is not a simple job. Wait to see if and when it fails. Hopefully your warranty will cover it if it occurs
Old 11-18-2014, 03:31 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks for the info; I'll have to just wait and see. Terms of the warranty should cover it, I spent an hour going over the fine print on it lol.

Ah well, all I can do is enjoy the car and see what happens