S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Manual Transmission Issues w/the 2010 Model

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2016, 09:46 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Manual Transmission Issues w/the 2010 Model

I have seen in other Audi Forums there seems to be a design issue with the manual transmission on the S4 (B8) 2010 Model. Here's what I am running into. About a year ago the car was having trouble starting. It felt like you had to push the clutch to the floor and sometimes it would start. The Audi dealer said the pressure plate needed replacement and recommended the clutch be done at the same time. It was $3,200+ tax. I only had 43k or 47k miles on the car. I am light driver and have driven manual Audis, VWs and Volvos and never replaced a clutch with such low miles. 14 months later the same problem came back. The service manager explained that he believed it might be a design issue with the hydraulic self adjusting clutch. Audi only would warranty the prior replacement if it was 12 months / 12k miles. It had been 14 months and something like only 7k or 9k miles since the last replacement. The Dealer is paying for the replacement as I've been a customer for 17+ years, etc. They are currently taking apart the transmission and looking at everything. This car is in MINT condition. My question is I've never had a car that needed three clutches with only 55k miles. Should I sell this and run when I get back? Given there seem to be others with the same problem in other forums I am wondering if this is a class action suit or a recall about to come. Like the water pumps were. Any ideas or suggestions appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited by Markilepsy; 12-30-2016 at 09:49 AM.
Old 12-30-2016, 11:45 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had 3 B8 S4s all with MTs including a 2010. The problem is not with your clutch assembly. The problem is with the clutch pedal position switch. Fairly common problem. Current car has 70k miles with what I believe is the original clutch, but bought the car used. . Its sad when the service techs cannot diagnose a problem correctly.

Last edited by DrGP; 12-30-2016 at 11:49 AM.
Old 01-11-2017, 12:54 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DrGP
I had 3 B8 S4s all with MTs including a 2010. The problem is not with your clutch assembly. The problem is with the clutch pedal position switch. Fairly common problem. .
agreed....but on the 2010 the switch is buried in the expensive master cylinder. Is a new master cylinder the fix? For me this problem has occurred immediately after replacing the slave cylinder, and to get the car to start you press so hard on clutch you end up breaking the slave cylinder (although the starting problem goes away).

At one point a friend who looked at it found a code with his Rosstech scanner that he says needed resetting, but no one else including the audi garage its sitting at today knows anything about a resent procedure. I haven't been able to get the car to the person who claims there's a code and doesn't recall where it was. In support of the idea its a reset is that the problem happens immediately after replacing the slave cylinder

When you do press so hard you bust the slave, it cures the starting problem, but you have a weeks to months before the slave lets go entirely and you're stranded, and the clutch behaves erratically in the interim.

Most frustrating is that there doesn't seem to be a solution everyone's in agreement with - lots of internet accounts of people replacing master cylinders yet the problem continues.

I'm all ears on what to do...and anyone know about a clutch position switch resent for manual transmissions?