S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

MMI SD card problem...

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2011, 08:20 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MMI SD card problem...

OK - I'm finally getting around to moving all my music onto SD cards. I bought two 32GB cards to hold everything. The structure I'm using is "Genre\Artist\Album\Track" - so for example: "Classic Rock\Led Zeppelin\In Through The Out Door\In The Evening.MP3"

Here's the problem I'm having. When I put the car in the slot, and drill down on a directory, I will often find the folder empty and the MMI says, "No playable tracks found". It does it every time, but it's not consistent. If I pop the card out and put it back in, it tends to be a different set of directories that give that error.

I've tried a few things: putting the card in but not messing with it for an hour or so (thinking maybe the MMI needs to walk all the directories first). I've tried switching slots. No luck.

Anyone else experience this? Is there a limit to how large of a card you can use? Track limit? Directory limit? I did a quick search and found a couple others with this problem on other forums, but no real info...
Old 06-25-2011, 08:58 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I would guess that there might be a file path limit. i.e. the folder names + track name might be too long. It should be pretty easy for you to move a couple of folders up to the root of the card and then see if they play OK.
Old 06-25-2011, 11:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by James P.
I would guess that there might be a file path limit. i.e. the folder names + track name might be too long. It should be pretty easy for you to move a couple of folders up to the root of the card and then see if they play OK.
You are correct, don't put long names and deep folder paths, this is a limitation of the O/S (mobile embedded version 6 I believe), as it was originally designed for a much smartphones and such many years ago. Companies should be using the newest version but don't always.
Old 06-25-2011, 12:06 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

"max. 4000 files in total and max. 1000 files per directory"

is in the manual for the limit on a memory card.

I also think I've read that more than 4 levels deep doesn't work.
Old 06-25-2011, 12:43 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Scotty (UK)
"max. 4000 files in total and max. 1000 files per directory"

is in the manual for the limit on a memory card.

I also think I've read that more than 4 levels deep doesn't work.
Yup, 4000 file limit.. i have the same issue, just delete some albums then you will be good.
Old 06-27-2011, 01:05 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Thanks guys - I reorganized one of my SD cards: < 4000 tracks and no more than 2 directories deep. It's still flakey - lots of directories still say "No playable tracks found" (but if I pop the card out and pop it back in - those directories are now playable but others are not).

So either the MMI is pretty lame for higher capacity SD cards, or mine's busted, or I'm still doing something wrong.

I'll have to pop this SD card into someone else's car sometime and see if the results are the same...
Old 06-27-2011, 05:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by mellow_sparky
Thanks guys - I reorganized one of my SD cards: < 4000 tracks and no more than 2 directories deep. It's still flakey - lots of directories still say "No playable tracks found" (but if I pop the card out and pop it back in - those directories are now playable but others are not).

So either the MMI is pretty lame for higher capacity SD cards, or mine's busted, or I'm still doing something wrong.

I'll have to pop this SD card into someone else's car sometime and see if the results are the same...
It will be, the files not showing are randomly selected. Once you get within a certain threashold, it will show only a portion of the tracks rather than the entire card unreadable. Shed some more and you will be good.

Let's be honest, what do you REALLY need with 8,000 songs in your car? With an average play time of 3 and a half minutes, that is over 466 HOURS of music. I tend to be in my car about 12 hours a week max - and that this level it would be almost 39 weeka - over 9 MONTHS - to go through them all.
Old 06-27-2011, 06:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's not about need, it's about convenience. Having to think about which music you want with you in the car is a 20th century nuisance. In the new millenia, I want it all.

Do those limits apply only to the SD cards? My thought has been that when I finally get my S4, I'd buy the USB cable and put my MP3 files on a 64gb thumb drive. If it turns out that won't work, I guess it's a refurbished iPod Touch for me... or I buy a new Touch for out-of-car use and use the old one in the car.
Old 06-27-2011, 07:24 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by NWS4Guy
It will be, the files not showing are randomly selected.
That's interesting - it certainly explains what I'm seeing.

Originally Posted by NWS4Guy
Let's be honest, what do you REALLY need with 8,000 songs in your car?
Well, with that logic, what do you need 8,000 songs for anywhere? For me, I listen to a lot of different music - so while I don't plan to consecutively listen to 8,000 songs, I want to have all the options at my finger tips...

Anyway, no biggie, I'll figure something out...
Old 06-27-2011, 07:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I don't have that many songs personally

Quick Reply: MMI SD card problem...