S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016
View Poll Results: Best Tune for MonSoonHell
REVO
33.33%
GIAC
22.22%
UNITRONIC
11.11%
APR
33.33%
Other
0%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

MonSoonHell - Tune Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2015, 10:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MonSoonHell - Tune Question

I created this thread in another forum...but would like to create it here too. I never created a thread where a poll was included here...so thought I would add one to this thread. And was thinking that those who kept their S4 stock or is in the same dilemma I am caught up in, this could help decide which tune to go for.

For those that do not know my dilemma, I have (unfortunately) reached 45000 miles and the latest recall for MonSoonHell will cause Audi to flash my ECU which will wipe my STaSIS tune. I never had any problems/issues with STaSIS or their tune, and if they were still in business, I would keep their tune.

Help me find out which tune would serve MonSoonHell the best.

The three issues you should know are:
1) No spending cap for tune
2) TD1 is no longer a concern
3) Needs to be equivalent or more than current dyno numbers already on MonSoonHell. Dyno numbers are 357 hp & 369 tq, at the wheels.

If you have tune, please post your dyno numbers (if applicable). Comments and/or Opinions are welcomed and encouraged.

Thanking you all in advance!

Last edited by MonSoonHell; 02-25-2015 at 10:12 PM.
Old 02-25-2015, 10:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

I emailed REVO and received a response. They are treating me as a REVO customer. To upgrade to Stage 1+ which includes the pulley upgrade will be $500. I definitely want their SPS (Serial Port Switch), which will be offered with 10% off. So let's say the total is $655 + tax.

After looking at my STaSIS/REVO receipt, there was no labor charge. The tune was installed at Waterfest...so curious what their dealer will charge me for labor.

Now another question....has anyone utilized Elite Motors of New Jersey? I know they are a REVO dealer. From looking at their Facebook site, they just moved to LODI, NJ.
Old 02-26-2015, 04:03 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

I would never go Revo given their proven history of blowing motors... Also, their tuning strategy is much different and has been proven to be slower than APR/GIAC... I've run APR since Sept 2010 with no issues but if you want a DSG tune as well GIAC can do that now but APR's will be out to the public soon... I'd read the below on Elite, you can make your own decision there... lol

Elite Motorsports- Screwing up one car at a time
Old 02-26-2015, 07:58 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I track my REVO 1+ all of the time at the instructor level and my motor hasn't blown. None of the tunes have issues in 2015, and haven't for years. An APR CPS is recommended, which will set you back another $2k.

If Stasis was working for you, REVO is a no brainer because it's the same tune.
Old 02-26-2015, 08:04 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by westwest888
I track my REVO 1+ all of the time at the instructor level and my motor hasn't blown. None of the tunes have issues in 2015, and haven't for years. An APR CPS is recommended, which will set you back another $2k.

If Stasis was working for you, REVO is a no brainer because it's the same tune.
Good old west... And your car runs stock times in the 1/4 mile with your Revo tune so I wouldn't use you as the example but whatever... He can go with whomever he wants... revo bypasses boost and severly changes their knock routines... Not my style but to each their own...
Old 02-26-2015, 03:20 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by primetime
Good old west... And your car runs stock times in the 1/4 mile with your Revo tune so I wouldn't use you as the example but whatever... He can go with whomever he wants... revo bypasses boost and severly changes their knock routines... Not my style but to each their own...
So in your amateur opinion as an armchair automotive embedded systems software engineer, it would be better to use a different algorithm? Tell me more.

My car is *significantly* slower than stock.

Revo is the one you want if you're doing 100 pulls back to back. My engine runs as cool as stock. Cars are not rocket ships, in that you need to reuse them after one heroic launch. I can't say definitively if bypassing boost when you don't need it is what gives me the result of repeatability, but that's a reasonable hypothesis.

Last edited by westwest888; 02-26-2015 at 03:47 PM.
Old 02-26-2015, 05:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

Don't want to get into the, "which tune is better"....as the subject appears to be a sensitive one - I don't know enough about them to argue for any of the brands. However before going with the software upgrade, I did ask around. Among 4 shops near me, the consensus was to go with Revo, so that's what I did. No issues thus far (5k miles with tune), have not tracked it.....yet.
Old 02-26-2015, 07:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by safetywork
Don't want to get into the, "which tune is better"....as the subject appears to be a sensitive one - I don't know enough about them to argue for any of the brands. However before going with the software upgrade, I did ask around. Among 4 shops near me, the consensus was to go with Revo, so that's what I did. No issues thus far (5k miles with tune), have not tracked it.....yet.
Just curious, did you dyno your car? Thanks for your response.
Old 02-26-2015, 07:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by primetime
I would never go Revo given their proven history of blowing motors... Also, their tuning strategy is much different and has been proven to be slower than APR/GIAC... I've run APR since Sept 2010 with no issues but if you want a DSG tune as well GIAC can do that now but APR's will be out to the public soon... I'd read the below on Elite, you can make your own decision there... lol

Elite Motorsports- Screwing up one car at a time
Thanks for your response. Will investigate your comment about "blowing motors" and their "tuning strategy". I have not visited APR's website (yet), however, from my other thread in another forum, there are those mentioning the DSG tune as well. Isn't that tune for automatic transmissions?

Unfortunately the link you quoted is for Elite Motorsports, who are located in NY. I am asking about Elite Motors of NJ (REVO dealer). I have to say it is an interesting link and given the fact that they are an APR dealer, gives me great hesitation to go with that shop, if I choose to go with APR.

Last edited by MonSoonHell; 02-26-2015 at 07:32 PM.
Old 02-26-2015, 09:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by MonSoonHell
Just curious, did you dyno your car? Thanks for your response.
MonSoon,

I did not dyno before nor after, however my buttometer did notice a difference. A couple of things I noticed after the upload....

1. Increase mpg by about 1.5 miles (hand calculated)
2. Redline cut off higher than before (I shifted when the rpm reached near 7,000 a couple of times - haven't hit the rev limiter, got nervous)
3. Noticed I don't downshift - just mash the accelerator and the speedo just takes off!
4. Increase in torque all across the rev band (buttometer certified)
5. Sometimes the car idles funny (idle not steady, appears to be hunting - occurred twice, didn't stall)

Have fun shopping, keep us posted on which you decide to go and write us a review!

Quick Reply: MonSoonHell - Tune Question