S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

needs a new motor, HELP !

Old 12-07-2016, 12:46 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default needs a new motor, HELP !

I haven't been active on this page since I've only owned my 2014 S4 for 6 months. I purchased it used and it already had the stage 1 tune, so I also purchased the National Warranty to go above and beyond the factory warranty. It had like 30,000 miles when i got it. Now it has 38,000 and i just had the 35,000 full dealer service done 3 weeks ago, everything checked out perfect. Last week it started making a clanging sound that got loader and loader, so I parked it a local inde shop. They looked at it and suggested we have it towed to the dealer so we did. It's been at Audi of Seattle for a week and they are telling me it has metal chucks & shavings in the oil pan and needs a new motor. My factory warranty wont do anything because it's tuned and my aftermarket warranty also declined to do anything due to the tune. $19,000 for a replacement. I DO NOT have that kind of money. Do I have any options? Anyone else gone through this? Suggestions?
Old 12-07-2016, 01:47 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Sorry to hear about your problem. Spending that $$ on extended warranty is such a waste especially since you know of the Stage 1 tune. Audi might have covered it under warranty especially if it is a case of catastrophic failure. Even if your powertrain warranty has just run out, I am almost sure Audi could've given it some consideration even if it is a 50-50 deal.

To save some money, I suggest getting your indy to do the engine replacement.

As for an engine, look around in the internet for a nice used engine. Here's one I found on Ebay: 2012 Audi 3.0t supercharged full engine S4 A6 only 10k miles | eBay

Cost: $2,975 plus shipping. According to the seller, it is in good condition. But, it is best to allow for some $$ for rebuild work by your indy.

If you go this route, the total bill will still be much less than $19,000 plus labour as quoted by your Audi dealer.

Last edited by plat27265; 12-07-2016 at 01:54 PM.
Old 12-08-2016, 07:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by plat27265
Sorry to hear about your problem. Spending that $$ on extended warranty is such a waste especially since you know of the Stage 1 tune. Audi might have covered it under warranty especially if it is a case of catastrophic failure. Even if your powertrain warranty has just run out, I am almost sure Audi could've given it some consideration even if it is a 50-50 deal.

To save some money, I suggest getting your indy to do the engine replacement.

As for an engine, look around in the internet for a nice used engine. Here's one I found on Ebay: 2012 Audi 3.0t supercharged full engine S4 A6 only 10k miles | eBay

Cost: $2,975 plus shipping. According to the seller, it is in good condition. But, it is best to allow for some $$ for rebuild work by your indy.

If you go this route, the total bill will still be much less than $19,000 plus labour as quoted by your Audi dealer.
+1, definitely go used. Change out thermostat and water pump on replacement engine, and while you are it, might as well add pulley and go Stage 2!
Old 12-08-2016, 08:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 201 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by KJHill
I haven't been active on this page since I've only owned my 2014 S4 for 6 months. I purchased it used and it already had the stage 1 tune, so I also purchased the National Warranty to go above and beyond the factory warranty. It had like 30,000 miles when i got it. Now it has 38,000 and i just had the 35,000 full dealer service done 3 weeks ago, everything checked out perfect. Last week it started making a clanging sound that got loader and loader, so I parked it a local inde shop. They looked at it and suggested we have it towed to the dealer so we did. It's been at Audi of Seattle for a week and they are telling me it has metal chucks & shavings in the oil pan and needs a new motor. My factory warranty wont do anything because it's tuned and my aftermarket warranty also declined to do anything due to the tune. $19,000 for a replacement. I DO NOT have that kind of money. Do I have any options? Anyone else gone through this? Suggestions?
I know a couple of folks at Seattle Audi pretty well, but they won't give you much of a break on a td1 flagged motor.

As others have mentioned get something used or rebuilt and install it. In fact I'd give Erik at IPM Auto in Redmond a call and let him know your issue.

He knows our cars well and can source and install a motor at a reasonable cost.
Old 02-24-2017, 01:18 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Update on my grenaded 3.0... Finally got the car home with the complete engine pulled. I'm going to look for a used motor and have a local indy shop do the swap. Any other changes I should consider while the engine is out? Clutch replacement? Pulley to go stage 2?
Old 02-24-2017, 02:36 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by KJHill
Update on my grenaded 3.0... Finally got the car home with the complete engine pulled. I'm going to look for a used motor and have a local indy shop do the swap. Any other changes I should consider while the engine is out? Clutch replacement? Pulley to go stage 2?
I would think that after what you are going through with the blown engine and TD1, you would give pause to considering further performance mods.

Search this Thread