S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

New 2012 Monsoon Gray CPO S4. First Audi, first Post. Shout some tips!

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2015, 05:26 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New 2012 Monsoon Gray CPO S4. First Audi, first Post. Shout some tips!

Hi guys,

Been browsing around the site as a ghost for the past week or so. You are all extremely helpful. I just purchased a 2012 Monsoon Gray S4 CPO at 25,000 miles.

I got a good deal at a dealer that I had zero history with. I added the tire and rim protection plan for $2,295, thought it was a no brainier (Living in a pothole filled Boston, MA). I was going to add the interior exterior protection plans although, I know great detail shop near by that does great work.

I looked at both the A4 new and CPO A6. The A4 just seemed like a girl car (This is when I get yelled at). It had some boost but looking at it from the outside in, I just couldn't justify a purchase. I wanted a sports car. The A6 was amazing, it set an executive family man tone / look but I wanted a fun sports car look.

I am coming from TacomaWorld.com. I had a 2009 Toyota Tacoma Dbl Cab TRD Off/Road lifted, that I beat the crap out of. Ripped it on the street and wrecked it on the trails. I will recommend a Tacoma to anyone. I beat the crap out of that thing and had not one repair. It was an absolute beast. I quit while I was ahead and went for a sports car (Fits my job better).

Just stopping in and welcoming myself, as well as looking for any tips to look out for with my purchase. I've been a bit weary about Audi's in the past and obviously hear the "They are fragile cars", I'm hoping to change this biased.

Shout out some S4 tips, check ups, or issues you may have had that I should look out for. Also, throw some forum advice my way. Tacoma World seems a lot more outrageous and outspoken then this site.

Thanks in advance for your responses,

AJ
Old 04-12-2015, 08:39 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I've never destroyed the rim on any car ever and I live in pot hole filled Michigan. Is this a common occurrence with Audi's?
Old 04-12-2015, 02:52 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

It covers tires too which I'm most worried about. Covers it for 5years.
Old 04-13-2015, 07:50 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Astropin
I've never destroyed the rim on any car ever and I live in pot hole filled Michigan. Is this a common occurrence with Audi's?
It is a common occurance in many cars/wheels, depending on your location. Not just an Audi thing. I too live in a bad pothole area. Did bend a rim on my 07 Cobra back in the day. Never on my Audis or BMWs. Thought I migh have on far too many occasions.
Old 04-13-2015, 09:50 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by DrGP
It is a common occurance in many cars/wheels, depending on your location. Not just an Audi thing. I too live in a bad pothole area. Did bend a rim on my 07 Cobra back in the day. Never on my Audis or BMWs. Thought I migh have on far too many occasions.
Guess I've just been lucky then. I drive for work (roughly 40,000 m/y) all in northern Michigan. Of course I've yet to nail a deer also.....on that front I KNOW I've been lucky.
Old 04-13-2015, 05:34 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Astropin
Guess I've just been lucky then. I drive for work (roughly 40,000 m/y) all in northern Michigan. Of course I've yet to nail a deer also.....on that front I KNOW I've been lucky.
95% of wheel damage can be repaired for about $150/wheel at a decent wheel shop. They have several in Waltham MA near you. I wouldn't pay that kind of price for wheel protection insurance. I paid less for a whole set of for VMR 803's with tires on them. I think they got you there.
Old 04-14-2015, 03:54 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I know the price is a bit extreme but coming from a Tacoma where I literally never looked down at the road it seemed like a no brainer at the time. My GF said the same thing, says I got hustled. At least I don't need to worry about parallel parking or anything forn5 years.

Anyone got any ideas on why my steering wheel has a bit of vibration when in 95% turn lock and moving from a stop? Somewhat of a suspension vibration or rub when parking. Thinking it could be the supercharger? Like I said, I'm very un familiar with cars... Please forgive me.

Throw out any other tips or things I should check out

Thanks
AJ
Old 04-15-2015, 08:41 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by EagleDynastyS4
Anyone got any ideas on why my steering wheel has a bit of vibration when in 95% turn lock and moving from a stop? Somewhat of a suspension vibration or rub when parking. Thinking it could be the supercharger? Like I said, I'm very un familiar with cars... Please forgive me.

Throw out any other tips or things I should check out

Thanks
AJ
I believe it's due to the AWD system on the Audi which is always active. I also feel that on dry pavement. Should be normal.
Old 04-15-2015, 11:08 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by tna3
I believe it's due to the AWD system on the Audi which is always active. I also feel that on dry pavement. Should be normal.
Phew. Thanks for the piece of mind. Was a little worried. When first getting in and turning it on... How long do you guys usually wait(warm up) before moving? When driving off I almost feel a click or two after its sat for awhile. Any ideas?

Thanks
Old 04-15-2015, 03:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

I'm with "tna3" on the vibration when turned almost to lock, I too get the same vibration.

As for warming up, I don't. I keep the revs low, good thing leaving my community is all downhill so I just place it in gear and let it glide. Probably wouldn't hurt to let the car idle a little in colder climates. In Southern California though, we don't have that issue.

Congrats on your new ride, BTW. This is my first Audi, came from almost 15 years of BMW loyalty so I'm learning about these cars as well. Have fun, be safe.....

Quick Reply: New 2012 Monsoon Gray CPO S4. First Audi, first Post. Shout some tips!