S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

New To Audi (Soon), Price/Upgrade Questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2015, 05:50 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New To Audi (Soon), Price/Upgrade Questions

I am getting ready to buy a 2012 Audi S4 Premium plus with the magma/black leather interior, and 6 speed. Having the car go through a pre-purchase inspection tomorrow morning and if all looks well I will buy it. It has 29,590 miles on it with two months remaining factory warranty for $34,450. This will be my first Audi and luxury style car, and I am really excited about it.

Questions before purchasing:
  • Is $34,450 a fair price for the 30k miles?
    • I looked up the KBB on the car and it states $35,486 is a fair purchase price.
    • Any tips on negotiating price if needed?
  • Should I purchase an extended warranty?
    • I have never purchased one before and never needed one. My past cars are the 2008 Scion xB and 2010 Jeep Grand Cherokee, way different classes of vehicle.
Questions for after purchase:
  • Wanting to upgrade from the stock 18" alloy rims to 19" or 20" to fill out the wheel well more. Never really upgraded rims on a car and not sure what to expect or a good place to buy tires if needed. Suggestions appreciated.

• Wanting to upgrade the exhaust from stock to ???. I have been looking at the Borla or the AWE Touring with non-res downpipes. Sound is the main concern, I want a better sound but I don't want excessive noise on the highway as I do a lot of road trips. HP/TQ gains would be a nice plus if the exhaust provides.

• I am wanting to tune the ECU with either APR or ???. I have never tuned an engine, but from what I have read, tuning the S4 has great results and little negative impact on the car.
    • Will I need to upgrade the brakes when I tune the car? or will stock brakes hold me over until I can afford an upgrade? Also suggestions on which tune to go with. My local shop I have been using for years turns out to be an APR dealer as well.

• Wanting better side skirts at some point and maybe a body kit for the back end. Suggestions/Pics appreciated.

Anyways, excited about this as the car seems amazing. YouTube, Forums, and the community seem to have nothing but great things to say. Any suggestions/feedback would be appreciated!

-CJ
Old 07-21-2015, 06:15 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Wanted to update this, Pre-purchase inspection came back great yesterday. My local shop that my family has been using for years said it is the best condition used car they have seen in a long time. Only needs tires in a few months.

Purchasing this today for the price they listed because it is a fair price for the condition/mileage.

Need to get some Rims/Tires ordered, not sure where the best place to do this is... any suggestions would be appreciated.

Then comes the exhaust, weathertech floor liner, ceramic brake pads and intake... I may do the tune, but that will be when I get back from vacation in a month or so.

Now I just have to sell my Jeep . I will keep this thread open a bit longer if anyone feels like suggesting an exhaust, rims, intake, tune or if they know any good places to purchase any of the above from.
Old 07-21-2015, 11:20 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Borla Exhaust is Awesome sounding! The Tune is a good idea but If you buy a warranty they may conflict. And yeah 20" wheels make a big difference in style. And carbon trim on the exterior always looks good.

And for tires. The Michelin Pilot Super Sports A/S-3 are good all seasons imo. Not as sticky as the P-Zero's tho. And the brakes on this car are pretty dang good! I heard about some type of big bore brake lines that help as well. Not sure about that tho.
Old 07-21-2015, 03:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

If you scan all the Audi S4 forums, you're bound to find someone selling wheels almost every day. I just saw a set of 19" OEM peelers for $ 800 out there. I have a set of Hartmann wheels and can attest to their quality and value.

The opinion of many is that the Michelin Pilot Super Sport is the best summer tire for our cars. I personally have not had any experience with them yet, but will probably get them as my next set of Summer tires.

Supercharged badges are a cheap (and popular) exterior upgrade from the sometimes confusing V6T emblem.
Old 07-21-2015, 03:33 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

The Pilot Super Sports are really good! I like the P-Zero's a bit more tho personally
Old 07-21-2015, 07:30 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I was thinking about going with the Borla... It sounds good (on YouTube) and looks really great too. I will probably hold off on the tune for a while... I finally got to do some real cruising in it today and I am blown away by the stock performance. I don't have any extended warranty, so that is not a real concern... the factory warranty expires in two months, so I will likely tune it after that.

Thanks Pyromatic177 and togatown for the suggestions on the tires! I will be browsing the forums for some wheels soon. I'd rather support the community if a good deal presents itself.

I do want to swap the badging, so I will have to find a source for that... should be easy. Probably going to swap the grill for the RS4 grill as well... Looks so clean.

More pics of the new ride Officially mine now!

Love the manual transmission on this car. The handling is crazy too...

Going to start making this mine soon

I'd love to see some pictures of y'alls rides for ideas!
Old 07-21-2015, 07:38 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Nice interior! I have the same. And the handling, especially when you turn off traction control is very good! I was taking on quite the curvy road today between 60-70mph. Handled it like a dream.
Also I suggest the honeycomb grill!
Old 07-21-2015, 07:43 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Name:  IMAG2754_1.jpg
Views: 131
Size:  93.9 KB
There's mine
Old 07-22-2015, 08:02 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

That is clean man! I really wanted the white, but I couldn't find one in my area with the same interior and manual in white. The honeycomb grill looks great too. Definitely on my list of additions. Trying to sell my jeep before I go to Europe in two weeks! Need some spending money for my upgrades.
Old 07-28-2015, 01:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Congrats on your new ride! Looks terrific....6 SPEED!!! Once you get used to the stock hp/torque, a stage 1 software flash will make you giggle like a little girl. LoL.....