S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

New B8 S4 with S-tronic design defect

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2011, 03:05 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New B8 S4 with S-tronic design defect

I have a 2011 S4 with an S-tronic transmission with a design problem. It was verified by my Audi dealer.
If you wish to find out if your DSG/S-tronic transmission has the same design defect, check it out as follows:
Put your transmission in manual mode. Under wide open throttle, accelerate through first gear and shift out of first gear at 6100 or higher (up to 7000 redline). Stay at wide open throttle in 2nd gear. If your car has the design defect, it will shift out of second gear on its own, between 4000 and 5000 rpm!! Obviously, this is not what Audi intended. I can take the car to redline in any other gear--just not 2nd. The defect is in the mechatronic unit, but replacing it only fixes the problem half the time.

If you check this out, please post your finding as a reply to this thread. I've already run across three B8 S4's with this problem.
Old 11-30-2011, 06:02 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by tobias
I have a 2011 S4 with an S-tronic transmission with a design problem. It was verified by my Audi dealer.
If you wish to find out if your DSG/S-tronic transmission has the same design defect, check it out as follows:
Put your transmission in manual mode. Under wide open throttle, accelerate through first gear and shift out of first gear at 6100 or higher (up to 7000 redline). Stay at wide open throttle in 2nd gear. If your car has the design defect, it will shift out of second gear on its own, between 4000 and 5000 rpm!! Obviously, this is not what Audi intended. I can take the car to redline in any other gear--just not 2nd. The defect is in the mechatronic unit, but replacing it only fixes the problem half the time.

If you check this out, please post your finding as a reply to this thread. I've already run across three B8 S4's with this problem.

Really? Is this just for 2011? I'm ordering a 2012 and this kind of bothering me.
Old 11-30-2011, 06:51 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

It sounds like a software issue to me. If so its easily addressed by a patch.
Old 11-30-2011, 07:04 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I can't verify as my car is in the body shop. However, I have noticed while in manual mode, I go to shift manually out of first and the car shifts at the same time and I then find myself in 3rd. Very annoying.

What is more worrying is that if this is not the designed intent of the DSG why is there no clear fix. It almost makes M mode, dare I say worthless?
Old 11-30-2011, 08:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

2011 DSG here and I have not experienced that issue.
Old 11-30-2011, 09:07 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default S tronic defect

Originally Posted by ni4ni
Really? Is this just for 2011? I'm ordering a 2012 and this kind of bothering me.
The catch 22 with this problem is that do not run a new car you are considering buying to redline, before it is broken in. So, you
can't find the problem until you own it and have driven it
a thousand miles.
Old 11-30-2011, 09:17 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default B8 S4 with S-tronic design defect

[QUOTE=tobias;24230568]I have a 2011 S4 with an S-tronic transmission with a design problem. It was verified by my Audi dealer.

If you check this out, please post your finding as a reply to this thread. I've already run across three B8 S4's with this problem. Hard to find this issue with a car not broken in.
Old 12-01-2011, 02:31 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by tobias
The catch 22 with this problem is that do not run a new car you are considering buying to redline, before it is broken in. So, you
can't find the problem until you own it and have driven it
a thousand miles.
LOL! I went WOT and to redline leaving the dealer parking lot with like 15 miles on the car... The motor is broken in already...

Oh and I don't have the above issue on my 2010...
Old 12-01-2011, 05:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by primetime
LOL! I went WOT and to redline leaving the dealer parking lot with like 15 miles on the car... The motor is broken in already...
Same

As long as the engine/oil is warmed up, it's all good.
Old 12-01-2011, 07:12 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Ynnekdude
Same

As long as the engine/oil is warmed up, it's all good.
+3

Baby it if you want to burn oil.

A 2010 and doesn't short shift.

Quick Reply: New B8 S4 with S-tronic design defect