S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

New Guy with lots of Questions

Old 07-01-2014, 06:58 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Guy with lots of Questions

Quick Intro: My name is Jason, I am 22 years old and just finished school and begun working. I was able to get my dream car, Audi s4. I was hoping for a 2012, but I found a perfect 2011 close by and closer into my price range.

This past weekend I picked up a 2011 Audi s4 Prestige. It is white with red and black leather (cant get over it), has navigation/rear view camera, engine start button, 19 inch audi rims, audi sports differential. Pictures below.

I was told by the salesman a ton of lies and have been disappointed in a few things after getting home. I wanted to ask you guys somethings maybe could help me learn more about the car.

1. No bluetooth audio! WTF! planning to buy a bluetooth audio adapter and hook it into the audi 3.5mm aux cord cable. I believe this would be better than the modified audio cable with a receiver, since i read bad reviews about it.
2. No automatic folding side mirrors, Thought this was really cool, but i guess it was a cut back.
3. I would think that the speedometer LCD panel would have the current speed, i saw that it can do average speed and current mpg, but any way to do current speed (mph)?
4. I was offered for 3500$ to extend my warranty since mine will end in a couple months. What you guys think on it? They say it will cover a lot of parts and seems like they cover all the expensive parts. They also said that it covers labor but i doubt this. Have you guys had mechanical or electrical issues where u wish you extended your warranty? Is the warranty worth it?

Is there anything you think I should know about the car? I want to know every thing I can about this vehicle.

Old 07-01-2014, 07:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

its a beautiful car! theres Bluetooth!!!! unless its broken or not activated.
no auto folding mirrors that I know of,theres a way to get the miles per hour in lcd between tach and speedometer, 3500 its too much for warranty but if it gives you piece of mind be happy you got it
Old 07-01-2014, 07:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

ir order to know everything about the car look in the forum, read your manual
Old 07-02-2014, 02:01 AM
AudiWorld Member

1. Not certain about Bluetooth audio as I do to use it.
2. No folding mirrors but there is a kit available from vendors (ECS Tuning I think is one) if you want it badly enough - fairly pricey though.
3. The LCD speedo will show current MPH if you toggle through using the button on the end of the stalk.
4. Prices of warranties vary by coverage, deductible, term and mileage on the car. I got mine from FD Warranty online, which sells a warranty underwritten by Fidelity, the one sold by most Audi dealers. At least check their pricing. Be sure to understand how it works - term (years) starts on date bought; mileage is added to miles on car at the time of purchase for a Fidelity. Other warranty companies work differently so you need to understand those terms (as well as deductible and coverage) to compare warranty prices.
Old 07-02-2014, 04:31 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Great car.

You can get the current MPH, if you toggle through the bottom button on the wiper stalk. There a load of variations that can be seen, and it's pretty intuitive if you start by toying around with it.

The folding mirrors can be had, but frankly it's not worth it. It's a costly add on.

The streaming bluetooth, which is what I am assuming you are referring to, was a let down for me too. You'll need a Tune2Air, or something of that ilk (though that's the only unit I know of that works with regularity). You can then stream bluetooth from your phone, without tethering it from your glove box. It's still not perfect, though , as you won't be able to control the phone's functionality beyond volume and track forward and back.

The warranty I added to my car -- a 2012 B8 -- was approximately $1,800. I will admit that your is a year older, and mine was purchased in 1.5 years ago, but $3.5K sounds steep. If I were you, I would self-insure and put that money away for a fix if needed. That way if you don't use it, you don't end up out any cash and can use the money toward something fun like a slick CBE.

A couple quick questions:

Who is the company backing the warranty? Just curious, as not all warranties are created equally... Zurich is a decent one, and I talked to Audi service professionals who said that Preferred Advantage is also easy for them to work with. A call to a different dealer, and a quick conversation with a service rep may help guide you on what companies they like and dislike. That ought tell you the value of the company you're talking about...

How many miles on the S4? More miles = higher probability of issues arising.

Congrats on the purchase. It's a slick ride.

Last edited by Digital_Bees; 07-02-2014 at 04:35 AM.
Old 07-02-2014, 04:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Actually, the mileage and term of the Fidelity warranty and others is calculated from the new car delivery date. When purchased on a used car, the same applies. So, for example, a 7 yr/70K mile extended warranty would only add 3 more years or 20K miles, whichever comes first, to the existing manf warranty. Also be aware these warranties have exclusions not found on the OEM warranty and often have deductibles for each service incidence.
Old 07-02-2014, 05:47 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

The Audi web site claims new models with MMI have Bluetooth streaming audio. When was this added?
Old 07-02-2014, 06:58 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

My guess is that it's new for 2015, after the engineers realized every Kia coming off the line has it standard. Well, maybe not every one, but you get the idea. It's fairly common
Originally Posted by gforaker
The Audi web site claims new models with MMI have Bluetooth streaming audio. When was this added?
Old 07-02-2014, 07:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by gforaker
That was added with the 2013 model year or to say the B8.5 model.
Old 07-02-2014, 07:10 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Coulda swore I heard people griping about the B8.5 not having it, but I stand corrected.

Originally Posted by shivamerlin
That was added with the 2013 model year or to say the B8.5 model.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New Guy with lots of Questions