S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

New to me S4 - catastrophic brake failure...seeking advice

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2016, 08:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

are you sure the seller is not holding some info back? those are not oem rotors or wheels. a lot of guys "part their car out" switching back to stock or lesser aftermarket parts. someone didn't finish their swap job, and I doubt it was the dealership since their rates are way too high to use them to swap parts.
Old 07-14-2016, 09:50 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There had to be a bolt/s missing for it to happen. Looks like somebody was demoding your car right before selling and was kinda in the rush
Old 07-15-2016, 02:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

You could do this diy. Check out some how b8 s4 brake change videos on YouTube and source the parts. I'm guessing it's under $300-$500 in parts (assuming you don't buy new oem calipers). I'd look for someone who upgraded to a big brake kit and has the stock ones for sale. Alternatively you can rebuild your current calipers for not much money. There are shops that do this service. There are apps that will allow you to retract the rear parking break. Or you can buy the rosstech diagnostic tool which will do it as well and will likely come in handy with future diagnostics / repairs.
Old 07-15-2016, 08:56 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I honestly don't think it was the prior owner doing anything to swap out stuff right before I bought it because I saw pictures of it from over a year ago which had all the same gear on it - wheels, tires, brakes, etc. No doubt about it - it's a very strange incident. I wonder if during the last service at Audi they removed the bolts to inspect something and simply forgot to reinstall them. I'm sure stranger things have happened, although forgetting something like brakes is about as high risk as oversights come.

I agree I could probably knock it out on my own, but I live in a high rise condo building with nowhere to work on it nor do I have the comprehensive set of tools I used to any longer. Even if I had the space and tools to do it, I certainly don't have the time, and I personally would prefer to have a pro do it and look over the rest of the car at the same time. I actually have a built 4 door Jeep Wrangler Rubicon I'm selling because in 1.5+years I've put less than 9k miles on it almost all on road because I don't have the time wheel it. The realization that most of my time in a vehicle is driving to work and running errands is what made me go with the Audi since it will make the commute much more enjoyable than the Jeep.

As an fyi, I reached out to Audi of America who will see if there is anything they can do on their end to assist with the repair. I mentioned that my first car was an Audi (5000), then I had several others including an A4, A6, A6 Avant, and TT, so I had a proclivity to choose the brand for a long time. Ironically one of the reasons I left the brand about 10 years ago was to avoid expensive and sudden/unexpected repairs...which was realized within 4 hours of my first foray back into Audi ownership! Fingers are crossed this repair will be taken care of, so I can actually enjoy the S4.
Old 07-15-2016, 09:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mcgaskins
I honestly don't think it was the prior owner doing anything to swap out stuff right before I bought it because I saw pictures of it from over a year ago which had all the same gear on it - wheels, tires, brakes, etc. No doubt about it - it's a very strange incident. I wonder if during the last service at Audi they removed the bolts to inspect something and simply forgot to reinstall them. I'm sure stranger things have happened, although forgetting something like brakes is about as high risk as oversights come.

I agree I could probably knock it out on my own, but I live in a high rise condo building with nowhere to work on it nor do I have the comprehensive set of tools I used to any longer. Even if I had the space and tools to do it, I certainly don't have the time, and I personally would prefer to have a pro do it and look over the rest of the car at the same time. I actually have a built 4 door Jeep Wrangler Rubicon I'm selling because in 1.5+years I've put less than 9k miles on it almost all on road because I don't have the time wheel it. The realization that most of my time in a vehicle is driving to work and running errands is what made me go with the Audi since it will make the commute much more enjoyable than the Jeep.

As an fyi, I reached out to Audi of America who will see if there is anything they can do on their end to assist with the repair. I mentioned that my first car was an Audi (5000), then I had several others including an A4, A6, A6 Avant, and TT, so I had a proclivity to choose the brand for a long time. Ironically one of the reasons I left the brand about 10 years ago was to avoid expensive and sudden/unexpected repairs...which was realized within 4 hours of my first foray back into Audi ownership! Fingers are crossed this repair will be taken care of, so I can actually enjoy the S4.
That is just the craziest thing. I've changed my rear brakes and rotors and can't imagine how you could forget to put the bolts back in, as the caliper would not stay in place on reassembly without them. And the carrier itself doesn't even have to come off to replace rotor.

Anyway, hopefully Audi will give you some goodwill love, good luck!
Old 07-15-2016, 09:55 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by togatown
That is just the craziest thing. I've changed my rear brakes and rotors and can't imagine how you could forget to put the bolts back in, as the caliper would not stay in place on reassembly without them. And the carrier itself doesn't even have to come off to replace rotor.

Anyway, hopefully Audi will give you some goodwill love, good luck!
I totally agree - I've done my own brakes on a dozen cars, and I have no idea how it could have been left out. Perhaps they backed out on their own over time if a tech didn't use locktite? I've racked my brain over the last week trying to figure out how it could have failed, but there's no good logical conclusion. Thanks for the good luck wishes, and I'll be sure to give an update when I hear back from AoA.
Old 07-23-2016, 03:47 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Well guys wanted to close the loop here, so it's time for an update. After lots of back and forth with Audi of America (denied coverage) and the dealer (huge screw up - they did the work without getting authorization), the dealer figured out a way to get it covered under a goodwill policy. It took many, many hours of correspondence via phone and email, but I finally have the S4 fixed and back in my possession nearly a month after I sent the wire to pay for the car The prior owner took amazing care of it, and it feels like a 1-2 year old vehicle max and looks the part too. It has an APR exhaust which I was worried would be too loud, but wow it sounds perfect and really finishes the back end of the car nicely. I'm hoping to contribute here more now that I'm an official owner - as you can see by my join date it's been a while since I've participated much in this board

Old 07-23-2016, 07:32 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I am glad this one had a happy ending. Enjoy your S4! She's a beauty!
Old 07-25-2016, 05:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mcgaskins
Well guys wanted to close the loop here, so it's time for an update. After lots of back and forth with Audi of America (denied coverage) and the dealer (huge screw up - they did the work without getting authorization), the dealer figured out a way to get it covered under a goodwill policy. It took many, many hours of correspondence via phone and email, but I finally have the S4 fixed and back in my possession nearly a month after I sent the wire to pay for the car The prior owner took amazing care of it, and it feels like a 1-2 year old vehicle max and looks the part too. It has an APR exhaust which I was worried would be too loud, but wow it sounds perfect and really finishes the back end of the car nicely. I'm hoping to contribute here more now that I'm an official owner - as you can see by my join date it's been a while since I've participated much in this board

That is great news, car looks great as well. Is it Deep Sea Blue, and if so, I can relate to how nice it looks clean and how hard it is to keep clean,
Old 07-25-2016, 08:38 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by togatown
That is great news, car looks great as well. Is it Deep Sea Blue, and if so, I can relate to how nice it looks clean and how hard it is to keep clean,
It's actually Phantom Black, but I can already tell it's going to be a lot of work to keep it looking clean!

Quick Reply: New to me S4 - catastrophic brake failure...seeking advice