S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

New S4

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2016, 08:35 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Jonathan Arcari
I like the idea of a cheaper tune that is undetectable. The question is what makes it undetectable and why dont other companies do it too?
You can physically remove it and it leaves little to no info on the ECU to show it was there . But it is not as sophisticated as an ECU tune
Old 12-23-2016, 09:08 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So im assuming piggyback tunes are more susceptible to drivability and reliability issues?
Old 12-23-2016, 09:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

So im assuming piggyback tunes are more susceptible to drivability and reliability issues?
Driveability yes, since you are using a less sophisticated method bypassing or manipulating a signal, than an entire map change of an ECU. But any tune can have some type of hiccup.
If you want to go beyond 30-60 hp gains, then the only way to go is flashing along with physical mods such as a different SC pulley.
overall, Chipwerke is a fun little mod for what you pay for it. Look at it as a gateway drug to performance, lol!
Old 12-23-2016, 09:39 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by togatown
Driveability yes, since you are using a less sophisticated method bypassing or manipulating a signal, than an entire map change of an ECU. But any tune can have some type of hiccup.
If you want to go beyond 30-60 hp gains, then the only way to go is flashing along with physical mods such as a different SC pulley.
overall, Chipwerke is a fun little mod for what you pay for it. Look at it as a gateway drug to performance, lol!

Lol! Makes sense, I will probably end up going with a APR tune or something more reliable at some point. I will talk to my dealer to see if they will still warranty my car. I know all about drivability issues. I traded my Vortech supercharged 2015 mustang for the S4. now that surged like a ****.
Old 12-23-2016, 10:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Lol! Makes sense, I will probably end up going with a APR tune or something more reliable at some point. I will talk to my dealer to see if they will still warranty my car. I know all about drivability issues. I traded my Vortech supercharged 2015 mustang for the S4. now that surged like a ****.
Honestly, the only issue I have had is a slight lag when full throttle paddle short shifting the car in non-sport mode. When in sport mode, it is smooth and pulls all the way up and shifts nicely. Normal daily driving is not affected.

When my warranty runs out, I may get a flash tune instead. If there were any tuners close to me, I might have done it already.
Old 12-23-2016, 12:04 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by togatown
Honestly, the only issue I have had is a slight lag when full throttle paddle short shifting the car in non-sport mode. When in sport mode, it is smooth and pulls all the way up and shifts nicely. Normal daily driving is not affected.

When my warranty runs out, I may get a flash tune instead. If there were any tuners close to me, I might have done it already.

Good to know. I might just pull the trigger on it. I will definitely be happy with it. and if not I'm only out around $400.
Old 12-23-2016, 01:51 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Talking to your dealer is the worst thing you can do. The Audi software is set up to automatically search out any signs of a tune. It then immediately sends that info to AOA. Your car is designated TD1, warranty voided. Dealer has no ability to prevent this from happening. How do I know? I have a good friend who has been the service manager at a dealership where I have leased 2 S4s. Just talking about it with someone you don't know at the dealership can raise suspicions about your car that you really don't want unless you can do it anonymously.
Old 12-24-2016, 07:41 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by DrGP
Talking to your dealer is the worst thing you can do. The Audi software is set up to automatically search out any signs of a tune. It then immediately sends that info to AOA. Your car is designated TD1, warranty voided. Dealer has no ability to prevent this from happening. How do I know? I have a good friend who has been the service manager at a dealership where I have leased 2 S4s. Just talking about it with someone you don't know at the dealership can raise suspicions about your car that you really don't want unless you can do it anonymously.
I did buy my car from a friend and im in the car industry so I do know some people. Talking to him isnt really a huge deal but I do agree 100% about what you are saying. I think the Chipwerkes definitely has the highest chance of not flagging anything. I will keep that in mind, after I get bored with the stock performance ill make a move lol. Im still in the honeymoon stages and just enjoying the car as is
Old 12-27-2016, 06:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default I do not understand this urge to make car go faster

I did buy my car from a friend and im in the car industry so I do know some people. Talking to him isnt really a huge deal but I do agree 100% about what you are saying. I think the Chipwerkes definitely has the highest chance of not flagging anything. I will keep that in mind, after I get bored with the stock performance ill make a move lol. Im still in the honeymoon stages and just enjoying the car as is
It is quite fast enough STOCK,!!
Old 12-28-2016, 10:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I installed a chipwerke a few months ago. it has been quite enjoyable so far. I have a service and ecm recall scheduled next week, so last week I removed the CW. quite a noticeable drop in performance. I will let you know after my service next week if I got a TD1. if I do, I will go dual pulley immediately... if not, for now, CW is fun.

Quick Reply: New S4