S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Newly acquired S4

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2015, 05:33 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newly acquired S4

What's up everyone. New S4 owner here. I recently made the move to a 2014 Audi S4 from a 2014 Mitsubishi Evo X. I've been on the Evo scene for the last 11 years and wanted to upgrade to something a little more luxury/performance as opposed to strictly performance. A close friend of mine leased an S4 a year ago and I immediately fell in love with it. I've had mine for about 2 weeks so far and I couldn't be happier, well maybe a little happier after a few modifications .

I've been doing some research on potential upgrades, maintenance, and basically what to expect from the car. Since I got it pre-owned with around 12,000 miles, I was just curious about what other things to potentially look for and expect from the car within the near future. Before taking delivery of the car I ran a carfax and learned the vehicle had recently gone in for a service around 10,000 miles. AudiCare was included with the car when I got it. Also, it's black on black, premium plus w/ technology. Non sport rear diff I believe. Ok thanks for your time!

-Paul
Old 09-28-2015, 03:18 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sell it now. You will be sorry you don't have the sport dif. Really, you won't know what you are missing, but you are missing something special
Old 09-28-2015, 04:47 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by DrGP
Sell it now. You will be sorry you don't have the sport dif. Really, you won't know what you are missing, but you are missing something special
Haha I hear u man. My friend had that feature in his also, but I didn't drive his enough to know how much more it performed over mine. I mean coming from Evos for the last 11 years this car blows them out of the water when it comes to amenities and comfort. The Evo was just very basic when it came to anything extra. To be honest, dynamic mode on the S4 feels pretty comparable to the Evo on a stock vs. stock basis. I guess I just got tired of the shifting and constant people challenging me to race everyday. I've read that with just a stage 1 APR tune the boost increases to 15 psi over the stock 11 psi. I only have the car for 2 years then it goes back to the dealership because it's a lease. I took over 27 remaining payments from someone on swap-a-lease. I'm pretty happy with it so far. But when this goes back I'd probably opt for a sportier model.
Old 09-29-2015, 02:52 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Only boy racers need Sport diffs. Enjoy your new car.
Old 09-29-2015, 04:58 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by arn560
Only boy racers need Sport diffs. Enjoy your new car.
Thank u!
Old 09-29-2015, 06:18 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Did you check out the s3?
Old 09-29-2015, 08:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

If you had the option get a sport diif. but there in nothing wrong w/o one on S4.
Old 09-29-2015, 12:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 41 Likes on 27 Posts

After I got my new 2014 S4, I did one of those DOH! I shoulda got the thing with the torque vectoring option. Damn!

OK, so dealer is a good guy and friend. He let me take out one equipped with the torque vectoring diff -- I would, never get one (from now on) without this option. However, unless offered a way out without spending big bucks, I am confident you will love the car even without the TV diff. During my extensive test drive with the sport diff, I noticed a dramatic ability to corner without feeling that sense of plowing (understeer) that can be induced in the non sport diff equipped model.

But, and this is just applicable, probably, to me:

The S4, if never tracked (and mine isn't), can be driven and driven to higher limits on the public highways than most other mere mortal's cars.

If you always tend to enter the twistier parts of your normal driving "hot" "hot" "hot", well you will truly miss the sport diff (unless of course you don't tempt fate simply by never driving one with and one without back to back.)

On the other hand, if you see a road sign indicating the speed at which the upcoming curve is 20 and you don't exceed 50, well, you'll probably never miss it.

I found a curve that I have some familiarity with -- it was marked 15MPH. I drove my non-sport diff S4 repeatedly into the turn and didn't notice a damn bit of difference until I exceeded 45MPH. With the sport diff version, my butt-o-meter said I could do the same thing comfortably at 50MPH. Yes, about 10% faster is nothing to sneeze at.

But, reality check: Were I to enter into this turn at any speed above 35MPH with any passengers, they would wonder if I'd had a nut come loose. When I'm alone in the car, I comfortably take the curve at 45MPH-- but not every single time I take the turn. It is the public roadway after all.

The naked S4 is great without the sport diff, it is simply better, better with it. I'll get one next time, unless they don't keep the option on the list or unless it simply becomes standard equipment.

Here is my take -- get the best tires you can afford for performance (and I'll even include UHP A/S's) and inflate the front tires +2 pounds over the rear inflation pressure.

The reason this seems to have a noticable impact upon the S4 is that the S4 (B8) is nose heavy -- a couple of pounds to the plus on the fronts mitigates this a bit.

I keep mine at 43 front and 41 rear. I have -- good gawd you're kidding me -- Conti DWS 06's (UHP A/S's) and, although I wish I had the torque vectoring trick rear-diff, frankly, I just don't miss it day in and day out.

My advice, if you have the ability to order the car AS YOU WANT, go for the sport diff; in any case get the top performing tires in the class of tire you need for your circumstances and inflate the fronts by a couple of pounds greater than the rears. If you don't get the sport diff and you don't plan to track the thing, don't sweat it!

Drive it like YOU live.

Last edited by markcincinnati; 09-30-2015 at 05:59 AM.
Old 09-29-2015, 12:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by markcincinnati
After I got my new 2014 S4, I did one of those DOH! I shoulda got the thing with the torque vectoring option. Damn!

OK, so dealer is a good guy and friend. He let me take out one equipped with the torque vectoring diff -- I would, never get one (from now on) without this option. However, unless offered a way out without spending big bucks, I am confident you will love the car even without the TV diff. During my extensive test drive with the sport diff, I noticed a dramatic ability to corner without feeling that sense of plowing (understeer) that can be induced in the non sport diff equipped model.

But, and this is just applicable, probably, to me:

The S4, if never tracked (and mine isn't), can be driven and driven to higher limits on the public highways than most other mere mortal's cars.

If you always tend to enter the twistier parts of your normal driving "hot" "hot" "hot", well you will truly miss the sport diff (unless of course you don't tempt fate simply by never driving one with and one without back to back.)

On the other hand, if you see a road sign indicating the speed at which the upcoming curve is 20 and you don't exceed 50, well, you'll probably never miss it.

I found a curve that I have some familiarity with -- it was marked 15MPH. I drove my non-sport diff S4 repeatedly into the turn and didn't notice a damn bit of difference until I exceeded 45MPH. With the sport diff version, my butt-o-meter said I could do the same thing comfortably at 50MPH. Yes, about 10% faster is nothing to sneeze at.

But, reality check: Were I to enter into this turn at any speed above 35MPH with any passengers, they would wonder if I'd had a nut come loose. When I'm alone in the car, I comfortably take the curve at 45MPH-- but not every single time I take the turn. It is the public roadway after all.

The naked S4 is great without the sport diff, it is simply better, better with it. I'll get one next time, unless they don't keep the option on the list or unless it simply becomes standard equipment.

Here is my take -- get the best tires you can afford for performance (and I'll even include UHP A/S's) and inflate the front tires +2 pounds over the rear inflation pressure.

The reason this seems to have a noticable impact upon the S4 is that the S4 (B8) is nose heavy -- a couple of pounds to the plus on the fronts mitigates this a bit.

I keep mine at 43 front and 41 rear. I have -- good gawd you're kidding me -- Conti DWS 06's (UHP A/S's) and, although I wish I had the torque vectoring trick rear-diff, frankly, I just don't miss it day in and day out.

My advice, if you have the ability to order the car AS YOU WANT, go for the sport diff; in any case get the top performing tires in the class of tire you need for your circumstances and inflate the fronts by a couple of pounds. If you don't get the sport diff and you don't plan to track the thing, don't sweat it!

Drive it like YOU live.
+1, that is a logical post. And I'd add, if you weren't specifically looking for the Sports Diff option to begin with, you probably aren't going to miss it anyway.
Old 09-29-2015, 01:02 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Very interesting I must say. Thank you for that insight. I do plan on getting some different tires for it soon since the winter months are approaching by where I live. I've had those Continental Conti DWS's on a previous car and I must say they performed well all year. I also didn't track the car ever, but for normal street use I had no complaints. Right now the car has the original tires on it and if they are anything like the Yokohama Advans that came factory on the Evo, I'm going to have a challenge in the snow.

Quick Reply: Newly acquired S4