S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Open trunk is too high for my kids

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2010, 10:55 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Open trunk is too high for my kids

I am wondering if someone have a recommendation.

On the way to work I drop off my kids at school. They put backpack in the trunk, and when I drop them off, they open trunk and take backpacks.

The problem is that fully open trunk is too high for them to reach. So, my son holds trunk with one hand, and take his wheeled heavy backpack with another. This procedure is not comfortable for him, and he often scratches inside of the trunk, and the bumper (no permanent bumper scratches yet).

Can some one think of a way to limit opening height, or to have some kind of pull loops? Any other ideas/recommendations?

Thanks,
Old 01-13-2010, 11:05 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Tell your son to walk to the side of the car where the trunk lid is lowest and push down the trunk lid. He'll probably need to hold both his hands on top of the trunk and move his hands while he walks to the rear of the trunk in order to get enough moment/force to close it though. Not quite sure if your son is a body builder or anything =P. I think he should be able to close the trunk this way.
Old 01-13-2010, 11:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by kutsyy
I am wondering if someone have a recommendation.

On the way to work I drop off my kids at school. They put backpack in the trunk, and when I drop them off, they open trunk and take backpacks.

The problem is that fully open trunk is too high for them to reach. So, my son holds trunk with one hand, and take his wheeled heavy backpack with another. This procedure is not comfortable for him, and he often scratches inside of the trunk, and the bumper (no permanent bumper scratches yet).

Can some one think of a way to limit opening height, or to have some kind of pull loops? Any other ideas/recommendations?

Thanks,

Do they not allow you to get out and help him? I'm not trying to be sarcastic; some school lines don't want you getting out of car to keep the line moving. But if you are allowed to, there's your answer.
Old 01-13-2010, 11:10 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by ShadowJet
Tell your son to walk to the side of the car where the trunk lid is lowest and push down the trunk lid.
He can do this, but it is actually hard for him (try doing this yourself while squatting down). Also, it is rain season, so top is always wet.

PS: my daughter has different technique. She climbs inside the trunk, hold the lid and closes it while she jumps out. This is something I really don't want her to do .
Old 01-13-2010, 11:12 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by kutsyy
He can do this, but it is actually hard for him (try doing this yourself while squatting down). Also, it is rain season, so top is always wet.

PS: my daughter has different technique. She climbs inside the trunk, hold the lid and closes it while she jumps out. This is something I really don't want her to do .
Ok new solution, tell him to drink milk.
Old 01-13-2010, 11:14 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by trigoe
Do they not allow you to get out and help him? I'm not trying to be sarcastic; some school lines don't want you getting out of car to keep the line moving. But if you are allowed to, there's your answer.
I went with 4 door car, so I wouldn't have to get out . Yes they do allow it, but my kids don't want me to do it (makes them feel little), and I don't really want to do it either.

Last edited by kutsyy; 01-13-2010 at 11:19 AM.
Old 01-13-2010, 11:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'd just tie a string to a point inside the trunk lid, and tell them to use it to pull it down to them, then flip the string inside before closing it so it doesn't hang out the back when you drive off.
Old 01-13-2010, 11:31 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by NWS4Guy
I'd just tie a string to a point inside the trunk lid, and tell them to use it to pull it down to them, then flip the string inside before closing it so it doesn't hang out the back when you drive off.

This is exactly what I was thinking about, but wanted to see if someone have done it.

Thanks,
Old 01-13-2010, 11:48 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Lower the car w/ coilovers or springs

In all seriousness, the string idea is probably your best bet. Also, look into getting a bumper cover or clear bra-type material to protect from your son dragging his wheeled backpack out of the trunk and scratching the bumper.
Old 01-13-2010, 12:01 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I just got this piece of clear bra installed. Cost was about $60.

Quick Reply: Open trunk is too high for my kids